Chinese in Accra/Kumasi?

Hi everyone:

I'm a Chinese American writing a book about Chinese migrants/immigrants in different parts of the world, and am planning a trip to Africa.

I've read that there's a Chinese population in Ghana -- can anyone tell me more? For example, do Chinese people mostly work for state-owned enterprises, or do they own stores or restaurants? Do they tend to live in a particular area? How do locals get along with the Chinese?

Thanks!

Welcome on board knitty ;)

I am chinese

I was talking to my partner who is Ghanaian and lived in Ghana in 60s and 70s and he said that there was no recognisable Chinese population in Ghana at that time. Now there are a lot of Chinese people in Ghana due to the trade between the two countries and the opportunities for development but not sure how much social interaction there is between Ghanaians and Chinese.

Hi knitty,
I am a Malaysian Chinese and I am new to Ghana too ( 3 months ). However i have passed by a couple of Chinese restaurants and grocery shops here in Accra and Tema. Get in touch with me when you arrive in Ghana and perhaps i can help bring you around to these places.
Bye.

Hi knitty,

Me again. I think the best source of info may be the Chinese Embassy in Accra. The Chinese are involved in the construction of some highway projects, Bui Dam and probably some mineral mining activities as well so the Chinese Embassy will be able to give you some relevant material for your research.
Good luck.

Hello Every one
I am a chinese and now live in Hong Kong. Last month on Feb I visited West Africa-Ghana,i feel so nice this counrtry.I wonder if i have chance to work there and attend christian church service? I'm planning to the city Kumasi next time,wanted work there or be as a volunteer. Thanks pay my blog attention.

You will certainly have chance to attend a Christian service - there are a variety of churches in Ghana.
Good luck with your plans and say hello to Hong Kong for me - I lived there for 8 years and have so many good memories of the place!

Dear hkann

It is nice to hear you. I am sincere to ask do you have some introduction for chinese or international church servce and attendance. Besides I am really interest in live in Kumasi and work there, i know as a new come found a job is not easier,or some voulunteer i would appreciate.
I am a air ticket consultant in HK. My most high is can do something for church of God. Thank for greeting HK. Please also sent my warm regards to the Ghana peoples. God bless you~~

Faith Yiu
email : [email protected]

If you are looking to volunteer I suggest you look at the different religious denominations that place volunteers in various countries. I don't remember if HK had a volunteer programme but lots of countries do.

Hello HKANN,
Thanks so much your advice. But I'm really interested live and work in Ghana,can you give me some opinon how can extend myself as a chinese woman. God bless you.

There are opportunities in HK to work with refugees. One organisation is based in Chunking mansions where you will find a lot of Africans. Perhaps you can start there and then you might find further opportunities