How to make friends in Bangkok

Hey all,
I'm looking for new friends too.
I'm french, and i live in BKK.
Sukhumvit for the moment.

Yann

I HOPE THA THIS IS TRUE AS I PLAN ON MAKING A FEW FRIENS OVER THE WEEK

hello everyone..
well kind of new in here..jst joined this site..to make some new friends,, becoz everybody needs friends.life would be so lonely without them.jst to share cultures and experiences..hope to find some in here too..
tc cheers..:)

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to BKK on 1st Jan, 2011. Hope to make some new friends there.

...just a word of advice, don't excessively trust someone you just met just cause they come from your country and speak the same language; and offer to show you around since they've been living in BKK for years etc.  There are also alot of Farangs out there  trying to make a living in LOS scamming other Farangs, in particular those from home country...from my experience i've found it very hard to make any friends there due to a variety of reasons...and it was better to stick alone.  Also careful from fellow farangs approach you in night venues etc. as far as the locals are concerned, well...there's good and bad everywhere, it just varies in proportion to where you are.  Learning the language is extremely useful, even though at times you'll wish you didn't understand what is being said.  One peculiar thing that made me want to learn the language even more, was how the people actually didn't want the farang to speak or understand/learn the local lingo : )

Greetings to all,

There is no perfect place or people or things in this world.  It takes 2 hands to clap then there is sound.

Generally Thais are friendly people and sad to say not many Thais can speak English.  But they are trying as you see more Thais able to communicate simple English compare to 15 years ago when I first got here.

Regarding SOME expats wants to have fun with the Thai ladies on short term as they find Thai ladies different from the ladies of their own country.

Then there are SOME Thai ladies who look at expats especially from the western countries as different and they like them and not Asian guys.

So, 2 hands and both agree to clap then its up to them. 

One can always put a stop to everything if you feel uncomfortable like rejecting it politely.  One can always say NO when being approach but if you flow with it or tease or seduce then you take care of yourself and stop complaining.

Exchange is not a robbery.  Buyers are everywhere so do you want to sell?  If there is no seller then one can never buy.

Hope this clears the air and lets enjoy each other company in the same interests that we have.  Be it a drink or meal or whatever both or group agree.

i agree
i have been in Bangkok a few years - and finding GOOD freiends as opposed to just - people i know. is not an easy talk here.

Bars
he expats in the bar scene is mosty a male bunch - dont get me wrong expat female are around - but they seem to get bored of thailand faster - could it be the lack of interest farang men have in them? who knows... or perhaps they dont particularly fancy the farang men who dig bangkok.

Social Groups - I think this is the best kinda place to meet someone like minded. A gym, yoga class, some weekly social event etc. For one you meet a different class of people - yep, not the barfly types who maybe lovely n all. But - active people that maybe more interesting than your typical barfly.

ofcourse, if you are not into doing anything other than sitting in a bar in your free time. You will probably meet lots of so called 'people you know' but how many real freinds?

My advice: get out there, and do other things...
I met some nice expat people in the salon last week too.

Hi,

I am vicky , new delhi, India. I recently moved to Bangkok as have joined job here.Being laguage being a barrier here, looking for like minded people being friend, Only cool & decent friendship.

If keen , please revert or can write at [email protected]

Enjjj your stay here!!!

tkcya

Hi all,

'EXPAT-BLOG' is the best place to make friends in Bangkok.

You should try Mingle Trips. Its the easiest way to meet people going to Bangkok. mingletrips.com

For people that are working here it's easy to make friends with your coworkers. But what about people like me, stay-at-home moms, not so easy...You may say what about other moms (expats) at school, playgroups...but often times those moms already form a clique, and for new moms at the schools the most they'll do/say is 'hi how are you', little exchange of words, and that's it. For Thai people, they are shy when it comes to speaking English, but there's always/most times a friendly smile, and that's all I can share with Thai people at the gym. It takes time for the few who know a little English to have the courage to say hi etc. I guess for me to make friends with locals is to learn Thai, but it's so hard to learn on my own...any recommendations for good Thai language schools?

Hi all,

I would like to share...
I have been living in Bangkok for almost 2 years by now, and I only have 1 thai female friend and she is 20 years older than me, but it was ok because she is very nice person, and it's took me a year to get one friend, I guess all thai people are friendly but still is kinda hard for me to find a friend here, but if you guys would like to catch up for coffees please drop me a message, I would love to meeting a new friends.

Warm regards,

Arik

Hello all
Its not difficult to make friends here as many thai people already answered. Its just because we r shy and we dont talk to Foreigner first. So if u wanna make friends with local people u can try speak Thai to them first like " Sawaddee ka / Sawaddee krap " and dont forget to smile.Or u can just go and ask them about how to go to....?or where is.....? and when they answer u , u can thanks them and make friend with them by talking abit more and ask for email address to contact with.Or u can ask them to take a photo with u and ask thier email address in order to send them photo. SEE ? Its not that hard and im sure as long as u r nice u can make friends easily in Thailand.But remember to be polite cuz this is very important.

Im willing to be ur friends.

if u wanna make good friend with me feel free to contact me at

[email protected]

Have a wonderful time in Thailand. Dont forget to smile ^_^

Very good! JW

I see a lot of posters in this thread our young(mostly)and out of their comfort zones.I am a bit older(62)and have lived many places during my life time.Thailand is really no different than other places i have lived.Finding friends is always  harder outside your comfort zone(culture,language,climate,education,family).I have not reached out to find other non-Thai friends,mostly because of my"comfort zone"!Age and being married(Thai wife),plus caring for a large Thai family have taken care of most of my free time & money..lol!I do very well understand the feelings of isolation one gets here.It is very hard to force yourself to "get out" and find people to hang with.I have spent almost four years living full time in a total Thai environment,without meeting or having one single social engagement with other English speaking(farangs)!Age is "NOT" a issue with me,so if any person who gets a bit lonely and needs a local farang(who is married),email me@"[email protected]"..check out my blog/http://www.luckkybuddha999.blogspot.com.it is also listed on this site(expat-blog.com)& you can get to know a little about me first.Chok dee & sawasdee khrap.James

Hi everyone...I'm looking interesting people their in Bangkok...I'll be arriving within September...

hey guys,

i used to be in bangkok for a couple days, thai ppl kinda frindly, i like bangkok, and wanna learn thai n then working in bangkok, is there anyone could help me learning thai? ^ ^

Emma

Firstly, I would love to have a meet up in any one of the coming weekends!

Second, I think it is hard to make friends in BKK if you are shy like me. I have to be the first one that people speak to in order for me to strike up a conversations, but the ones that do, I make friends with almost instantly!

The problem is with most of the locals, they will smile at you, and you will smile back and never say anything to you, making it hard for a more shy person.

Since school has started on my end it has become easier, but I feel like every time I go to a bar for a drink, some one ends up talking to me and I make a new friend.

hi mapxvc, if you are keen on making friends...i'm also interested...since i'll be coming to BKK within this month...

Welcome to Thailand everyone!!!

Hello,

New to the forum.  Just accepted a job in bangkok.  Currently, looking for an apartment near silom. 

I am looking to immerse myself in thai culture and its people.  I hope i can find a friend or two during my time in Bangkok.  If I can find a flatmate that would be ideal!

my email addy is [email protected] I welcome anybody to drop me a line and hopefully we can meet up for drinks or some food.  Always nice to share a meal with someone.

Looking forward to my time in the land of smiles!

:)

ND

hi

Thai people are nice and friendly. the problem is we can't speak english that's why we're shy to talk with foreigners.

:)

Yes I am Thai people. I can speak English a littelbit . I live in Ladphawo .

Hello I am Thai people. My name is Por. I hope u happy. See u

i just came back from BKK last month, still like that city, but i will be in BKK in June.:D

Hi I'm Weerachai nice to meet you everybody I wanna make newfriend  to go for travelling shopping in this weekend  you can contact me by email  bye I hope to see you soon  :P

Hello everyone , this is shawnn here from singapore ...living near fashion island ... Hoping to meet and make some new friends .. Life here kind of start to get boring ... Cheers :) hear from anyone soon

I can't say what is the best thing to do, because for my almost half a year of staying here, I still don't have someone or people I could call "friends".

It's nice to meet people but doesn't mean you'll end up well. Some were there because they just need company, then disappear after feeling better.

And it's so hard to find a Thai who can really speak English. There are some who have the guts, but most of them will end up avoiding you once they get what they wanted. There are some Thai who only wanted to practice their English. Neither really care nor understand how you feel or think at all.

Eventhough that's the case, I still find it interesting to meet new people in this site whether for a day or two. Plus, I can express my thoughts through writing.

N

hi,

I am Kenth looking for a good friends in this lonely country.I am engineer working in bangkok.Where is Saraburi.Write me in detail

LOL, the time was changed , i will be in BKK next month, if got some time, might be see u guys there.

ill be moving to bangkok nextmonth how to make friends thai people?

I just arrived in BKK.  Found a condo near Chong Nonsi.

There are multiple avenues in which you can make friends.

Number 1: online dating sites.  But there are limitations here which are obvious.  If you are upfront with your intentions about making friends, than this is a good avenue.

Number 2: Hobbies and activities.  Join cooking classes, gym memberships, yoga classes etc., 

Number 3: This is not my favorite method, but going to clubs like Bed and Mix and Level.  These places are good as the demographic is what I fall in.  Young professionals and university educated, so many thais here speak english.

All these are avenues, your personality will play a big part.  Just have a good, positive and friendly attitude and you should do well.  In all situations, you win some and you lose some so just keep at it. 

Good luck!

hi! guys
im looking for a girls friend ill be moving to bangkok nextmonth to be with my boyfriend and im willing to meet new people and new friends..hopefully to find one...tc everyone and goodluck.

Hi, there i'm looking for a friend from BKK. i'm coming to bkk on 4th this month. Can you help me out.?

sorry, im coming at the end of this month ...4th still not in bkk yet..=.=!

Hi Nan

I am interested to make Thai friend. Im coming to bangkok in december.

Wayne

Hello,greetings to all out there, i will be coming to Bangkok early October this year for an intensive on missions an it will last only 3 months. I'm interested in a friend with whom we can share experiences and cultural differences...
my email: [email protected]

Evang

Hi

we can make friends.

Thanks very much Mr Kilenfar for accepting me as your friend. just believe the future is promising as we'll come to know each other better... my coming to Bangkok is schedule for early October, but before then we can chat via yahoo messenger or Facebook.