Moving to the PI

Hey!  My name is Jack, single, and recently retired from the Army after 33 years and am planning to move to somewhere in SE Asia?  I'm considering thd PI, but am wondering if it's better to rent long term than purchase?  Any thoughts?  As well as to retire to? Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc?

6monthsiniraq wrote:

Hey!  My name is Jack, single, and recently retired from the Army after 33 years and am planning to move to somewhere in SE Asia?  I'm considering the PI, but am wondering if it's better to rent long term than purchase?  Any thoughts?  As well as to retire to? Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc?

Howdy Jack,

There are many places in Asia to choose from. We are in the Philippines and have lived here for 14+ years. Lots of downsides to living in a 3rd world country but good stuff here as well. Retirement dollars go a long way and right now the exchange rate is about P50 = $1us dollar. Being retired military you'd most likely enjoy a modern life on the old Subic Bay US Navy base. A lot like being in the states while still enjoying the island life.

As a foreign national however, you will not be able to buy property (land). You can own a building but not the land it sits on. If you marry a local then the property purchase can go in her name. Good option is to rent to start with and then maybe buy a condo. In Subic you can get a long term lease on a US style home that is quite nice.
Good luck in your search for a place. Just be sure to spend as much time here (or any other country) as possible to make sure you make the right choice.

Navajo52