Strike on May 1st??

I don't think it is a stretch to think it was done to give a bad rap to the people's movement.

ReyP wrote:

I don't think it is a stretch to think it was done to give a bad rap to the people's movement.

No, but it doesn't looks good when you're caught on camera vandalizing property and you're member of one of the protest groups (UPR). Or you're blocking the streets illegally and again you're members of the same group (UPR). The students are loosing a lot of support because of this tactics. Most citizens are not in favor of the way they're acting.

I am in favor of protesting to make your point, but creating caos and vandalizing property is not protesting, is committing a crime.

Your rights ends where mine begins, what make your rights better than mine?

Agreed. Adlin!

adlin20 wrote:
ReyP wrote:

No, but it doesn't looks good when you're caught on camera vandalizing property and you're member of one of the protest groups (UPR). Or you're blocking the streets illegally and again you're members of the same group (UPR). The students are loosing a lot of support because of this tactics. Most citizens are not in favor of the way they're acting.

I am in favor of protesting to make your point, but creating caos and vandalizing property is not protesting, is committing a crime.

Your rights ends where mine begins, what make your rights better than mine?

Agreed, all I said was that some, not all could also have been orchestrated to make the good citizens look bad.

Geez, guys... they're just windows.  This thread seems pretty preoccupied with the vandalism and not that concerned with the substance of the demonstration.

How does everyone feel about the coming austerity?

I think both issues affect the people that live in the island and those that look at this forum for advice. Unfortunately what you see in the news will affect the way you're going to react. Most news channels (almost all of them) are focusing on the vandalism. Most of the news that reached the mainland referred to the vandalism and the negative side of the protest. It is very hard to make an informed decision listening just to the negative side.
The island political and economic issues will negative affect the people living there and the ones planning to move. There may be government offices closing and major reorganization of departments.
No one really knows how much this will affect the people or how many more cuts will happens. To the people thinking about moving to the island I will say be cautious, have a plan b, heck even a plan c.
If you are looking at finding a job here, think twice. If you have a remote job or come with a job already, plan to have a cushion in case things get more expensive. Most retirees have a secure income and hopefully planning a budget based on possible cost of living increases. If you are suffering for chronic health issues, the island may not be for you. Just the same way if you're thinking on moving to other Central American places.

Ok guys, it is Cinco de Mayo. Demonstration is old history.  :D

Yup - Cinco de mayo - going out for Mexican 😅