How has your life changed in Costa Rica

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Costa Rica? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Costa Rica? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Costa Rica has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

My life has changed in a major way, pretty much a 10 on your scale.

Moving to another country is, I would imagine, always a major change in one's life. Moving to what some call the 3rd world, as I would call Costa Rica, is a major change from living in the USA for most people. Even though I'd lived here before and visited many times, it was different to finally move here.

I spend a lot more time outdoors because I moved to the country side and live with trees and forest around me.

I also do a lot of planting of trees and bushes and flowers and so on and as a result I do a lot of watering, fertilizing and etc. 

I work only when I want to, and no one is making me do anything. I could just stop and sit around and read and use the net and watch tv and/ or drink. But I prefer not to do that. I like being busy outside here because it's so beautiful (most of the time).

This is a major change from commuting 2 hours a day in a big city in the USA and working at computers, sitting on my arse all day.

I've lost over 30 lbs and am back to a weight I had 15 years ago! A normal, healthy weight again!

I am very happy most of the time just enjoying the nature. I have local friends here - Tico and Gringo - and I have acquaintances here. I talk to friends and family back in the USA using internet based phone services and email and whatsapp.

That said, there are challenges living in Costa Rica.

The government has it's yearly car inspection which can be difficult or costly to pass if you can't afford a nice newer car; that's one example. Cars are more expensive to own and operate here!

Finding good honest  mechanics is harder than in the US in my experience, and it's very hard in many parts of the US as well!

Finding quality items is harder here in Costa Rica.
A lot of stuff is made in China here since the former President sold Costa Rica out to the Chinese (imho) and so you buy stuff that isn't good quality and  it breaks very soon which is frustrating and annoying.

Buying really good USA or Japanese made items that are good quality will cost you an arm and a leg here. Also you have less options when buying, say, a coffee maker, for example. You may see a dozen of 'em at the local store but close inspection reveals they are all pretty crappy, or over priced for the better ones. Also a good brand item in the states may not be as good as the same brand item here. For example my "known brand" coffee maker always gets grounds in where the water goes. Never had one in my life that did that until here! And this is my 2nd one. The other one had a different problem! Not a defective item but rather just poorly designed! Seems they sell the poorly designed things they couldn't sell in the USA, here!

So shopping is a challenge and somewhat disappointing. We bring stuff from  the states when can or have friends who visit bring stuff we need.

But overall, I am much happier here, in part because I no longer have a "job" of course! But also because life is generally more tranquilo here, people are friendlier, life is slower.

Been living in CR for 4 years and have decided to move to Thailand where I lived for 5 years .$600 bucks for a minor driving offense.Electric bill $500 a month.Water gets turned off from 6am to 5 pm EVERYDAY.Food prices are a joke unless your in love with rice and beans.I do love the mostly laid back way of life but its not worth the price for what i get.Good luck to those considering a move here.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Related to politics.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

"Has your life changed since you moved to Costa Rica? If so, in what way?
Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?"

For me, simply entering retirement when I moved to CR was the biggest change.  I am someone who enjoyed work.  I liked working long hours and enjoyed the interaction with people.  It took maybe two years to simply adjust to accepting that not going to work was okay.  That it was acceptable to sit around and do nothing if I felt like it. I do think that many people if not most look forward to retirement.  I was not one of these.

It may be great initially, but as I've said before, you need to think about what you will be doing long term.  Planning what will you do to stay active and keep your mind and body in shape.  My opinion is that this is more important than making a financial plan.

I've been here 7 1/2 years now and feel much more peaceful within myself than prior to this move.  If you assimilate into the culture in a rural setting, you can't help but take on a more docile personality.

"Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays? "

This would be a huge change from my U.S. life.  I was very social, got together often with a group of friends, attended parties, etc.  Physically, I've always been very active so this has not changed.

My personal experience here, especially in the area that I live has been that many of the expats near me are older, (more mentally than physically), and seem to be very negative about their lives.  I like and enjoy life here so I prefer not to socialize with them.  My choice most of the time is to socialize with Ticos (Costa Ricans).

"Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Costa Rica? What income differences have you noticed?"

This would definitely depend on your definition of “standard of living.”  My financial situation is literally 1/5 of what it was prior to retirement.  So I don't live in a huge house by U.S. standards.  At the same time I am much, much more content with my life now than what I was living in the U.S.  I wouldn't really compare my standard of living here to the States.  Living her is simply a different world, different experience.  Not something that can be easily explained.  You have to live here a few years to understand it.  And it will be very dependent on your personality as to whether or not you will “get it.”

"On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Costa Rica has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change)."

I would give my transformation in life a 10.  I would not however equate my transformation in life solely to Costa Rica.  I would say that my living in several countries, (I lived in the U.S., St. Petersburg, Russia and now here), and spent time in many others definitely changed my perspective.

The U.S. is where I was born, grew up, graduated college, lived life …for a while; however, after experiencing other countries and cultures I don't see that the world revolves around the U.S. like many Americans misguidedly believe.  ...take a breath, just my opinion.

I prefer to live life before I die rather than waiting to do it the other way around.  I want to experience other cultures, other lives.  (My next adventure is to spend a few months exploring Vietnam.) I like and enjoy meeting and sharing life with nice people and there are so many of these individuals around the world.

- Expat Dave

P.S.  Sorry this one turned into a book.   :whistle:

hknbass wrote:

Been living in CR for 4 years and have decided to move to Thailand where I lived for 5 years .$600 bucks for a minor driving offense.Electric bill $500 a month.Water gets turned off from 6am to 5 pm EVERYDAY.Food prices are a joke unless your in love with rice and beans.I do love the mostly laid back way of life but its not worth the price for what i get.Good luck to those considering a move here.

Curious what kind of lifestyle you had where you spend $500 a month on electricity. Mine runs around $21 a month.

Agreed that the tickets are outrageous here. They're outrageous even compared to USA, where people can actually pay for them. Here, a Tico makes $500 a month and gets a $600 ticket, that's insane!

We spend the same on food here as we did in the states, it evens out, just that in the states we bought more stuff like organic flax oil, organic almond butter, organic protein powder, organic apple cider vinegar, etc - stuff we can't afford here. BUT the trade off is we eat more veges and fruits which are very healthy. And I've lost weight and my cholesterol has gone way down from what it was.

Sorry it didn't work out for you but it seems to me you did or were doing something wrong to have a $500 a month electric bill! And no one I know has water turned off. May I ask where you lived? You should tell people that so they don't move there or at least they can inquire as to the water situation before they do.

ExpatDave wrote:

"Has your life changed since you moved to Costa Rica? If so, in what way?
Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?"

For me, simply entering retirement when I moved to CR was the biggest change.  I am someone who enjoyed work.  I liked working long hours and enjoyed the interaction with people.  It took maybe two years to simply adjust to accepting that not going to work was okay.  That it was acceptable to sit around and do nothing if I felt like it. I do think that many people if not most look forward to retirement.  I was not one of these.

It may be great initially, but as I've said before, you need to think about what you will be doing long term.  Planning what will you do to stay active and keep your mind and body in shape.  My opinion is that this is more important than making a financial plan.

I've been here 7 1/2 years now and feel much more peaceful within myself than prior to this move.  If you assimilate into the culture in a rural setting, you can't help but take on a more docile personality.

"Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays? "

This would be a huge change from my U.S. life.  I was very social, got together often with a group of friends, attended parties, etc.  Physically, I've always been very active so this has not changed.

My personal experience here, especially in the area that I live has been that many of the expats near me are older, (more mentally than physically), and seem to be very negative about their lives.  I like and enjoy life here so I prefer not to socialize with them.  My choice most of the time is to socialize with Ticos (Costa Ricans).

"Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Costa Rica? What income differences have you noticed?"

This would definitely depend on your definition of “standard of living.”  My financial situation is literally 1/5 of what it was prior to retirement.  So I don't live in a huge house by U.S. standards.  At the same time I am much, much more content with my life now than what I was living in the U.S.  I wouldn't really compare my standard of living here to the States.  Living her is simply a different world, different experience.  Not something that can be easily explained.  You have to live here a few years to understand it.  And it will be very dependent on your personality as to whether or not you will “get it.”

"On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Costa Rica has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change)."

I would give my transformation in life a 10.  I would not however equate my transformation in life solely to Costa Rica.  I would say that my living in several countries, (I lived in the U.S., St. Petersburg, Russia and now here), and spent time in many others definitely changed my perspective.

The U.S. is where I was born, grew up, graduated college, lived life …for a while; however, after experiencing other countries and cultures I don't see that the world revolves around the U.S. like many Americans misguidedly believe.  ...take a breath, just my opinion.

I prefer to live life before I die rather than waiting to do it the other way around.  I want to experience other cultures, other lives.  (My next adventure is to spend a few months exploring Vietnam.) I like and enjoy meeting and sharing life with nice people and there are so many of these individuals around the world.

- Expat Dave

P.S.  Sorry this one turned into a book.   :whistle:

Dave, thanks for the "book". Enjoyed reading your perspective and experience.
I am also thinking of traveling to Viet Nam, Thailand, India and some other countries when (if) I get the money.  I have a friend who visited Viet Nam and loved it there.

And it does seem a lot of people like Thailand. I wonder if the language is a problem. Seems very difficult to learn. I have a hard enough time understanding the Spanish dialect here! (I speak fluently but have a hard time understanding.) It's mainly the language that would prevent me from seriously considering moving to Thailand. I hear it's cheap and nice in some areas.

I discovered that about half of the expats I've seen down here in Costa Rica have turned into alcoholics, perhaps from having too much time on their hands.  This video provides so evidence on my claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtWjbAL-e1c

happy for your cholesterol.My $500 bill might be due to my home being 3600 ft and 24/7 security system and 4 big screen TVs going at once, lol. I am selling the home and won't reveal its location but its a very nice luxury home and has newer everything. Had an electrician come out and replace the front box and wires leading to the home but didn't do much good. I also have a very nice condo in Coyol Alajuela.in a gated community for sale.I think our lifestyles are different and maybe our standards that's ok. Peace

Sanbuenaventuraman wrote:

I discovered that about half of the expats I've seen down here in Costa Rica have turned into alcoholics, perhaps from having too much time on their hands.  This video provides so evidence on my claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtWjbAL-e1c

How would this be any different if you did not live in Costa Rica?  If you choose to drink yourself to death that's a choice that you make.  A country does not make that choice for you.  The same thing could be said of those who move here and gamble or sit at their computer or TV all day.  And this is in no way meant to be judgmental.  If that's how you choose to live your retirement, that is your prerogative.

This goes back to one of the things that I've said before.  My opinion is that when preparing for retirement, it is at least as important to plan what it is you will do as is it is to make financial plans.

- Expat Dave

hknbass wrote:

happy for your cholesterol.My $500 bill might be due to my home being 3600 ft and 24/7 security system and 4 big screen TVs going at once, lol. I am selling the home and won't reveal its location but its a very nice luxury home and has newer everything. Had an electrician come out and replace the front box and wires leading to the home but didn't do much good. I also have a very nice condo in Coyol Alajuela.in a gated community for sale.I think our lifestyles are different and maybe our standards that's ok. Peace

You know you can post the information on your home listings in the "housing" section above.  🌴🏘

- Expat Dave

hknbass wrote:

Yes, quite different! LOL. I live in a 485 sq feet house, but am very happy with that! Wish it had one more room and a utility room but aside from that it's fine!

I have hundreds of acres around me (not all mine) of forest and beautiful views of the Gulf so I live an active life, planting and nurturing trees and plants, and mostly live outside except after dark when I might watch a couple hours of tv.

I feel "blessed" to live where I live,  because of the sunsets and the animals and insects and birds, and because of that I put up with some things I do not like about Costa Rica. And I like the USA less... especially now.

To each his own. As i always say, Costa Rica isn't for everyone and you should always rent here awhile first before buying. (Not that you didn't; I have no idea. Just saying...)

Oh yeh, I rented for 6 months 1st.My wife that was terminally ill wanted her last days here and I was not about to deny her anything that was in my power. There are many things that I love about the country and many of others I have had the pleasure to live in.I hope your remaining days will be happy and healthy.

HEAR HEAR
Well said
Needed to be said
Thanx

@ExPatDave...

Looks to me like the guy in the video has had problems with drinking long before he came to Costa Rica.  He said that he did not blame Costa Rica for his drinking.  He did say that the alcohol was everywhere, but in the U.S. there is the same problem, even with 7-11's on every corner! My friends don't invite me to drink every time we go out.  In light of this, I don't think that the video  proves  your point at all.  This is not to say that people don't drink here, for sure.