Relocation to Lagos

Hi Friends

I am from India and have been offered a job with DHL in lagos.

I need help to know the below points

- Should i relocate with my family (Wife and 3yr old Daughter)?
- What is the schooling cost in Lagos (preferable Indian School)?
- How much should be enough(Money) to sustain a good comfortable life in Lagos(Housing and car with Driver to be provided by the company)?
- Source of entertainment and social life in Lagos?
- The office of DHL is in Oregun, therefore suggest good residential areas around the office.

Look forward to your replies...

Regards
Saurav

Welcome on board Saurav ;)

I have moved your discussion to Lagos forum for effective networking. I hope you get some responses soon in regards to your relevant queries.

Regards

Hi there Saurav dhar
Congratulations on securing a job in Lagos, you won't be disappointed when you get there. Lagos is a well equipped city, contrary to popular perception you can get anything you need there. Saurav can I ask have you been to Lagos before, or will you be visiting before taking up the post with DHL? The reason I ask this is it would be beneficial for a visit could maybe coincide with having a tour of your new office and meeting your new team members before embarking on the post (perhaps you could suggest this to the company).
Will you be transferring from a DHL in India?
Lagos is a fully equipped city so I don't suspect you'll have any problems finding appropriate accommodation, with regards to whether to relocate with your wife and 3 year old daughter, is the job on a long term contract, or would it be short term? if its a long term contract and you secure accommodation prior to arriving in Lagos then you could relocate with your family, if not I would suggest you find accommodation first and then have your wife and daughter join you. There are many schools in Lagos, however most expats send their children to International schools, and there are an abundant of good International schools, your daughter is still only 3 so any good nursery/primary school you
were to send her to would be much cheaper than if she were
older. A good International school may cost you in the region of about 100,000 Naira per term, thats about 400 pound sterling.
Nigeria is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, especially if you require a good comfortable life, but again you'd need to give me more information on the things you enjoy doing. You mentioned housing and car/driver to be provided for by the company, will they also be providing a cook/ house help which is customary in Nigeria, if not then these things may cost you out of pocket.
Saurav I hope this helps if you provide me with more information as above I can provide you with relevant information.

Regards

Mellisa2202

Waiting for further response. I'm also shifting in a few days to Lagos.

Hi Saurav

Good to hear that you have offered a job.

1) You can surely relocate with your family in Lagos there is huge indian community living in Lagos.[/color]

2)There is an Indian School in Lagos called as Indian Language School affiliated to CBSE board. Usually the companies pay the school fees i.e. school term fees, admission fee etc. The other expenses are to be borne by Individual.

3) See the comany porvides the housing with car and free electricty and gas connection with car & driver. These are all inclusive of the package deal which they offer. Usually the salary works like you will be paid local allowance somewhere between to 100K to 150 / 200K depending on your job profile with free accomdation, electricity, car and driver. Apart from this you would be given overseas salary i.e. in dollar or pound payable in your account in NRE indian account. Free air travel once a year or biannually according to your companies rules with travel allowance to meet your travel expense

4)Sources of Entertainment are ample but very expensive. The best mode is you can visit indian temples like Ilupeju, Surulere for Sai baba temple and VI too. Movies are expensive tickets @3000k for one but can buy DVD @ Bazaar store in Ilupeju. Food is also expensive in restaurants

5) Please check where your office is giving you accommodation. Try to find closer to Places where there are indian community as your wife might find difficult to adjust.

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IS THAT THE NIGERIANS ARE VERY FRIENDLY PEOPLE, BUT YOU MIGHT TAKE TIME TO ADJUST WITH THEM.

PLEASE CHECK THE DETAILS BEFORE YOU TAKE A CALL. LIKE HOW DOES YOUR COMPANY PAY, FACILITIES PROVIDED, MEDICAL INCLUDED AS IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND ALSO TRAVEL TRIP TO INDIA IS PAID OR NOT.