Court decisions

Hi i have been informed that a distant relative in Nairobi was poisoned and the case has been to court and the accused found and sentenced  , how can i find out about this  anybody help?? i believe the case was last year late nov or dec or even january this year i have asked my informant but has not answered me this is why i worry it maybe not true ,
also is there somewhere i can check for registerd Lawyers in nairobi ?
thankyou
peter

ps i have been into the supreme court website but cannot find up to date cases

I really have no idea how you would find out, particularly from out of the country.

Can I ask; is anyone asking for money in connection with this? If so, just be cautious, suspicious even.  Relatives can treat Mzungu spouses as cash cows.  It's good to set out your stall at an early stage if this is the case, otherwise you could very easily be bled dry from feeling obliged to give cash in response to stories of illness, school fees; etc etc

no nobody asking for money

i also need advice on a query  i need to sell a duplex of 15 apartments in nairobi which is best way ?/

ie advertise myself ?
put with estate agent?

The advantage of using an agent is that they will advertise and market the property, show prospective purchasers round etc.  You will know in advance what % commission will be payable and using a single agent should prevent brokers from getting involved.  There are some international estate agents, such as Knight Frank, Pam Golding operating in Nairobi and some respected local players, such as Hass Consult and Ryden International.  Commission varies, but can be as much as 5%.

If you market it privately, how are you going to be responsive to interested parties?  You may have to hire someone to arrange viewings and so on.  There is then a risk that brokers will get in on the act, by finding buyers and acting as middle men.  Refusal to pay them can result in serious threats against the seller and /or the buyer (if the seller is out of the country).

The problem is that there can easily be a chain of brokers, all demanding a fee for introducing a buyer.  For example for a  piece of land that we recently marketed, there turned out to be 5 brokers involved, causing us to remove the land from the market. 

if you send me a private message, I will provide the contact details of the agent we are currently using.

for update on cases check http://kenyalaw.org/caselaw/ you can search cases with a minimum information (names of parties, dates, judge)

high yes please send details thanks

I tried the search for court cases/decisions, for a case that I was involved with last year.  It wasn't able to bring up any matches with minimum information, including;  court name, parties involved and case content.

ok ta