Hello Bournemouth

Hello All,

Thanks for visiting this post.

I am currently living in Brooklyn, New York and would be moving to Bournemouth, UK around March 2017.

I like to live close to work (Bournemouth, BH7 7DA) and also Cricket clubs if possible.

it would great if you could share some light on the below questions.

1. how much does it cost to rent a Single bedroom house?
2. what are the costs involved in it? (like Rent, Utilities, Internet, also I see something as Council Tax)
3. What areas should I be looking for?
4. Easy commute to work (preferably bike or public transport)?

Eagerly awaiting your reply  :)

Thanks,
Arun VS

Hi Arun,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of page is our Handy Tools link which will take you to various guides that may help you planning your move.

A handy website to compare costs is Numbeo - this link will take you to the Bournemouth page where you can look at various costs.

I know Bournemouth quite well, until very recently I had family who lived there and I have an office down there.  It has a good airport, train & bus station.  It's a nice tourist place, very busy in the summer and  people tend to go down there to live when they retire.  It's on the edge of the New Forest and has a few good golf-courses around the area.  It also has one of the UK's Premier League soccer teams (Bournemouth FC) based there.

House prices aren't cheap there; I'd suggest you use something like AirBnB to find somewhere to live for a month or so, till you can find something you like more permanent.  Zoopla is a popular web-based search engine to find somewhere to live; this link will take you to the Bournemouth page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, Cynic. This is a good start. Zoopla does give me a running cost/pm.

I was using right move which gives only the rent and other details

Bournemouth is quickly becoming UK's Silicon Valley! 
Beautiful part of the UK Coastline!   I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Prior to living in va, UK this Aussie lived 15 years in USA too! 
What takes you guys to UK?   Escaping Trump?   
We've got our own problems here with Theresa May and Brexit.

Trump may be one of the reasons.

For me personally, it's a new work assignment in Bournemouth and my first time to Europe/UK so took the assignment.

When you say problems with Theresa May and Brexit, anything specific that i should be worried about ?

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : no political comments please
arunsubbhian wrote:

Trump may be one of the reasons.

For me personally, it's a new work assignment in Bournemouth and my first time to Europe/UK so took the assignment.

When you say problems with Theresa May and Brexit, anything specific that i should be worried about ?

Assuming you're coming here to work and have the appropriate visa, then Brexit won't affect you.  If, however, you were coming here to permanently settle, then their may be issues in the future.

Except for a couple of overly-sensitive luvvies, Brexit hasn't affected anybody yet and won't for at least a couple of years.

Brexit hasn't effected anyone yet; because it hasn't been triggered yet...! 
Post Triggering Brexit (March they expect)  it can take 2 - 10 years! 

Anyone who arrived prior to the Referendum date will be fine to stay; those who arrived beyond that date will become effected by any new rules implemented when ever that may be?

Brexit has nothing to do with the USA anyway. So you will not be affected now or ever, they say 2 years but it will take a lot longer to iron out everything.

I'd recommend you Check your facts if planning to come live in UK. 
Book a visit with USA & UK Embassy.
Just saying as We on here are definitely not qualified to advise you on facts correctly?

I've read articles where new rules post Brexit a tightening up of Visa requirements to qualify will be enforced on "all" irrelevant of your Country.

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

.... Anyone who arrived prior to the Referendum date will be fine to stay; those who arrived beyond that date will become effected by any new rules implemented when ever that may be?

That's what we're hoping for; not been confirmed yet.  I have a personal interest, Mrs C is not British.  Personally, I can't see it going any other way, but we could become political pawns, sacrificed to the greater good and all that. :)

Back to the opening post, all depending on where you live the rent will change, and the council tax will also vary.

Internet, electricity, gas etc.....

A good site to have a look to check out is https://www.uswitch. compares all the best prices.

Cynic wrote:
Aussie Dreamer wrote:

.... Anyone who arrived prior to the Referendum date will be fine to stay; those who arrived beyond that date will become effected by any new rules implemented when ever that may be?

That's what we're hoping for; not been confirmed yet.  I have a personal interest, Mrs C is not British.  Personally, I can't see it going any other way, but we could become political pawns, sacrificed to the greater good and all that. :)

The thing is no one knows what will happen, as no other country has left the EU. Until Article 50 is triggered and proper talks are in place we will just have to guess what could, might happen.

Here is a list of all the letting agents in Bournemouth you can contact them, explain your plans and needs.

Please note that when renting in UK (unlike other Countries like USA & OZ)
It's the tenants responsibility to pay the annual Council Rates!
This will add an additional £1,000 - upwards to even above £2,000 annually to your expenses.
In UK It'll depend which Council Zone you reside in what amount you'll be charged.  It's priced out through House Values!   We currently pay £1,325.00 annually for our house; however, we looked at a luxury apartment last week and which had a Zone F at £2,300.00 annually - the rent was £1,575.00 PCM.

Aussie Dreamer wrote:

Please note that when renting in UK (unlike other Countries like USA & OZ)
It's the tenants responsibility to pay the annual Council Rates!
This will add an additional £1,000 - upwards to even above £2,000 annually to your expenses.
In UK It'll depend which Council Zone you reside in what amount you'll be charged.  It's priced out through House Values!   We currently pay £1,325.00 annually for our house; however, we looked at a luxury apartment last week and which had a Zone F at £2,300.00 annually - the rent was £1,575.00 PCM.

If you live on your own you get a 25% discount on the council tax. You don't have to pay if you are a full time student in most case.

Nice,  thanks a lot for all the information.

The discount on council tax is cool and I got to know only from here. :thanks:

I would keep in mind to check gov.uk site too.

arunsubbhian wrote:

Nice,  thanks a lot for all the information.

The discount on council tax is cool and I got to know only from here. :thanks:

I would keep in mind to check gov.uk site too.

Check the Bournemouth Council website for all local information.