Do you speak French?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking fluently French is essential for a successful integration in France. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak French? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in France?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with French?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

No speak very little and that is only what I remember from poor school classes. We tried to find French lessons locally but it seems that there are none. You can learn Russian, Polish, Chinese, Spanish even Lithanian but not French.

Bought a computer programme but it just does not seem right some how so need to try and find some lessons from a real person.

Our move has been put on hold due to problems witht eh buyers here so the sale has fallen through so now we have to list the place again and go through all the viewings once again. This will gives us another chance to try and find some French lessons though.

:) Oui, je parle couramment! I am fluent in French. I actually teach English to French people. So I can tell you that it is VERY important to speak French. I can also teach beginning level French if needed.

Yes - retired here in Vendee, Pays de la Loire and we both speak French. Try your local French Consulate or look for French people working/students in your area....best wishes, and do contact us if you make it to France.
:)

My french  skills are not really the best but I attend small courses of French at list twice à week it's really hard to communicate in France with out French skills since à big number  of French people  dont speak  English

I'm testing an idea to learn languages online. Do you have access to Skype? If you don't mind being a guinea pig, we could try something? What do you think? Where are you from?

Jeanine

Am from Uganda for sure that is à good idea

Hi Priscilla,

Great initiative. I live and work in France and speak fluent French. My life here got substantially better when I could speak good French, not just because of being able to understand others and express myself, but because of other tangible benefits such as:

- The French sense of humour (it does exist!)
- The importance of regional culture and accents
- Their attitudes towards other countries
- Their dedication to a good quality of life
- Being accepted by the French and seeing how warm and nice they really are when you get to know them

Answering your question about where to learn French, I actually run a blog called Love France, Learn French, and I have a large guide with the top 100 sites, blogs and ressource pages where you can learn French for free. Hope that helps

Kind regards

Ryan

Yes, I speak French but it took me 20 years to learn! And even then, speak it badly and don't really read or write it. That's because I don't really need it in my line of work -- which is almost all done in English. Now that the French speak English, knowing French is less important, and as far as integrating into French society and culture -- I don't really feel the need to do that, either. I love my American community and while that might seem very limiting and closed off to a huge world out there, maybe it is -- but it's the world in which I thrive and I came to terms with that many years ago rather than beating myself up for not being a better or different person. Everyone has their different level of comfort and that's the most important thing: acceptance of who you are what you are capable of.

I agree, life changes in any foreign country when you speak the language. I speak fluent french, even taught high school in USA for years. Opens many doors, including access to french locals.

Well i hated it here until I was comfortable with French. I recommend coming here and taking classes at alliance française- which is what I did. And if you work hard in a year you'll ok to find your way around here

I do not know speak French . So it's difficult for me communication with french people .

Where are you from?

Dear All

from my point of view its essential to speak french and i am doing my best to get used to it. Just coming from english speaking Africa its really  challanging. But i am very intersted in the local life and all the events and therefor its a must to understand at least a little bit. Now after 3 month its really getting better day by day and its good specially for the daily life. Just go out and meet with people and you will improve your skills automatically :-)

Bangladesh

My experience is that if you try to speak French the French people will really appreciate it and they'll help you as good as they can - sometimes by speaking English to you (if they can). If on the other hand youdon't try and speak English (or any other language) to them they won't do anything to try and understand, quite the contrary, you'll most likely get the French treatment, being ignored and/or looked at in an unfriendly manner. So yes I'd say it's important to learn to speak French if you want to integrate in the local society. It'll depend where you'll be also, big cities like Lyon, Paris, Montpellier are obviously different than the small villages you'll find everywhere. Huge difference...personally I don't like cities so I've been living in a small touristic seaside village in the South for 17 years. I've learnt to speak French in school and when I was younger so I had no problem speaking French, but if that's not your case you can always register locally for a course to learn the language, or maybe arrange with another expat for some lessons. Hope that helps.

My email is ** Email me and we can get started. A bientôt!

Jeanine

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please share your contact details via pm. Thank you

I was lucky and spent a large part of my youth in France and French-speaking countries and speak and write it fluently, of course with an accent and some strange words thrown in. My partner speaks fluent French as well.

Watching French television helps me as well with the newer words and concepts that are emerging.

To all those learning the language: do it: immerse yourself!

Watch that French mystery movie.

Watch the evening news.

Travel in Echappées Belles.

Check out French comedy. There is some great talent there: Gad Emaleh, the team of Quotidien @TMC, Claudia Tagbo, Jamel Debbouze, Jean Marc le singe are all part of a new generation of laughter.

Listen to French music. There is a lot of good stuff there, in all categories.

Buy your local paper and read it.

Have a stack of original Tintin, Astérix, Gaston la Gaffe en Spirou comic books next to your toilet.

Bonne chance a tous!

My Skype handle is ** so if you can connect to me, we can try something!

Jeanine

Reason : please share contact details via pm. Thank you

I relocated last December from Kenya to Nantes, started some classes at francophonie  language school as I wait for my resident permit from OFFI and see where I can register. I speak basic French, I have to improve.

Do you have access to Skype? If so, I can help you at least get started.
My skype name is ** if you can send me a connection. :)

Reason : please share contact details via pm. Thank you

I think I undertsand perfectly what you are saying. I´m mexican and I´ve been in France for almost one year now. For sure is nothing compared with your time here but I just wanted to share my feelings too. Is difficult even to find something with your knowledge or your background even if you can speak french.

Things are different in france of course ,But that  is how a new country is going to be for any new persons going into it .

If one can expose himself to french environment often ,it is possible french can be learned in one year time .

If you are just mingling with expats and working in an english speaking job then it is possible you can survive just with english .

Cultural immersion will make you feel reasonably accepted and make some french friends on the way .

Having been born in Paris and grown up in French speaking countries I can tell you that it helps immensely if you have even a basic understanding of the French language. Today in business when I travel to Francophone countries, having the French language under my belt is a tremendous ice  breaker and a measure of comfort for one's clients. It's just the way it it. You can do business up to a point but you do not penetrate until there is conversation in French. I suppose that goes for international business as much as it goes to talking with the farmer across the street about the weather, his cows, the crops and who died recently. Voilà me deux mots. In terms of picking up the language, you can get a tutor on line or a canned package or a young student to help you out for sure.
Bonne chance and good luck. When I get my Spanish under control I will report back.

Plezier, Once you get to France you can take free French classes at the Mairie office in your arrondissment. See this listing, in French, about the courses: cma.paris.fr/

I did learn French before moving to France. I registered for courses at Alliance francais and I improved my proficiency by daily practicing, watching subtitled French movies, engaging in French conversations with French speakers and online platforms such as ( verbling.com/community) where you get to participate in video/audio google hangouts with other French speakers.

On getting to France, I was faced with a new challenge of understanding French being spoken at the speed of light by Native speakers, likewise also during my Masters program. With ear-tuning/practice, persistence, perseverance tactics, I was able to get a good grasp. Now I'm out of France, but I still maintain weekly contact with French circles where we discuss in French and I also watch BFM-TV as well.

My final advice is keep practicing, keep speaking the little you've learnt and never be scared of making the grammatical and structural errors, the French are patient, they appreciate your efforts and correct you as well.

Cheers!