Speaking French, Dutch or German in Belgium

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking French, Dutch or German is essential for a successful integration in Belgium. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak one of those languages? If so, where did you learn it? Where can one attend a language course in Belgium?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Belgians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

Indeed its very difficult if you dont know French or Dutch. If you know english then dutch is little easier to learn.

You can check Huis can het Netherlands for dutch classes in Brussels.

huisnederlandsbrussel.be

Regards
Arindam Biswas

I worked in a company in Brussels, where the official language was English and that is why it was not of big necessity to speak some of the official languages in Belgium for the everyday life. Also all the people in the bank office spoke English at a good level. But apart from that it is hard if someone does not speak French or Dutch. Fortunately i found an english speaking doctor, but going to the commune can be a nightmare, if you do not speak some of these languages or do not bring such a friend. Going out to restaurant is also hard, because at many places the menu is only in French or Dutch.
So in short - if you do not speak any of these languages (especially French or Dutch), you will survive, but your life will be much easier, if you do. :)

If you plan to stay long, it is best to speak the local language. There are many evening schools where you can study cheaply. But if you want a faster paced learning then you can go to commercial schools and pay much more. It's a great way to be exposed to different cultures, as you'll have expat classmates like you.

I went to both Dutch and French classes, although I only needed to learn Dutch. It is always handy to have some nuances of other languages, such as French as Flemish people use French words quite often.

Listening to the local news where formal Dutch or French or German are used is also very helpful. Even watching TV shows and reading the translation below also helps you remember words and will definitely broaden your vocabulary without any effort.

I find it very very handy to be able to read, write and speak the local language because it definitely enhances your chances to integrate. And best of all, the locals appreciate it!

English is nowhere a problem in East Flanders and even in West Flanders. I have learned Dutch in the evening schools but just the basics. After following it 1 year, I opened my online shop in order to get in touch with more people and force myself to use Dutch as much as possible. Now, I can fluently speak Dutch in my daily life without problem. However, I still use English at work even though English is not my mother language as well.

If you wish to integrate with the locals then learning the language is vital and a courtesy. Without it you are an outsider, expecting them to integrate with you.
It is possible to get by with just English but you aren't part of the community when you can't speak their language.

Its not necessary , English is widely spoken in Flanders

but to survive in Wallonia you need to know french
and i feel white skin too. Having brown skin is problem here

I know more or less well the three national languages ​​of my country as well as other foreign languages. And I believe that it is not an obligation but the possibility of a real discovery of my country as well as a possibility of open-mindedness on the outside.

You can make a good living in Belgium by speaking only one language. But in this case, do not complain about seeing many professional opportunities pass you under the nose ...

There are a lot of language learning circuits put in place by the state services as well as by private and / or public schools. And what it is for children as for adults.

In the majority of Belgian municipalities, you will be able to take courses for "foreigners" at ridiculous rates.

Although many Belgians manage in English, it is absolutely not a certainty to find an official service that will provide you with comprehensive assistance.

Learning a language has always been and will always be an openness to others and to the world. The unilingual person will never see others except through a tiny window ...

I've mastered Dutch and now I am trying to master French.  I live in Flanders, so Dutch was a must to learn first.  I followed the integration course and now I am learning French in a local community center.  I try to watch and listen to programs in French just as I did when I was learning Dutch.

I live in wallonia and it is hard to communicate with the waloon in English.

Hi Srrangerabroad
its true as you have to learn french
I am into business here and all of my customers are from outside
Waloon still i am learning french

Need any help please advice

Rgds

I am really sorry but I can't offer any advice regarding this as I am also just learning the language.