Speaking Spanish in Argentina

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Argentina. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Argentina?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Argentines?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

Growing up around Cuban-Americans and Puerto-Ricans (because I was raised in Miami, FL), I can tell you that there are some subtle differences between the Spanish spoken by most Latinos in the States and Argentine Castilian.

I added an article on my blog of words that might confuse other Spanish speakers, or English-speaking natives who have learned some Spanish.

http://gayamericaninargentina.blogspot. … rican.html

Essentially, some words are pronounced differently in Argentine Castilian and other words have a completely different meaning.

For example, "bollo" is a vulgar way to define a vagina among Cubans and Puerto Ricans, but in Argentina it means a roll or a piece of something like a piece of meat or a roll of dough. On the other hand, the word "pendejo" would get you in trouble with latinos in the States, but in Argentina, it simply means "kid".

My advice to people who are planning on visiting or living abroad in Argentina is to make some Argentine friends and have them teach you about the way they speak. It can help avoid confusion and misunderstanding on both ends.

muchas gracias por su ayuda, jorge - I will keep your tips in mind when we visiti chile/argentina.

regards

esna & billie stadler
south africa

You're welcome, Esna & Billie!  :)

In Buenos Aires so many people speak english it is no problem getting by without spanish.
Other cities,  not so easy, but many people do speak english because it is taught in the schools.

Che (an Argentine slang word for friend),
To go off from the previous comment, one does not need to know porteno Spanish to survive in Buenos Aires, as many people know English. On the contrary, some Argentines in BA (if you get to know them) are outgoing and will want to practice English with you.

If you do want to learn and  practice Spanish, go to several language exchanges, such as Mate Club and Mundo Lingo, where you can meet many Argentines that want to practice English with you as well as help you learn the porteno Spanish.