Online Darija Classes?

Assalaamu alaikum/Greetings,

Does anyone know of a good online program to study darija? We currently live in the US, but visits with my in laws are tough because I don't speak the language. I'd really like to pick up some basic conversational skills to make me feel like more a part of the family.

I'm looking for a reputable company with an established curriculum and  experienced teachers. I've tried searching but there doesn't appear to be a lot of resources available for the Moroccan dialect.

Thanks

Wa alaykum salaam

I found learning Egyptian Arabic from the Michel Thomas audiobook quite good - then just a bit of translating from this to darja, but that is not always needed a lot of Moroccans will understand. Most the films and tv are in Egyptian in Morrocco. My experience is often it's just different ways of saying the same thing. I think you will struggle to find an online course in darja, it's mix up of Arabic and slang and Berber

Thanks for your reply. I'll try that. My in laws are Berber so they speak more Berber than darija, but learning Berber is next to impossible here so I was hoping to compromise with darija, but I'll take what I can get lol.

I got it from audible dot co dot uk. All you have to do is listen, no taking notes or reading which suited me. My in laws are Moroccan too and I spoke more to them in Arabic from this than anything else's I tried, the difference being I didn't forget what I learnt. Benjamin holfeld has an app on iPhone called Arabic+ which my wife said was in darija - it's more of a tourist helper but worth having and it's free.

Thanks again. I have an android phone so I'll check and see if it's available for me as well. After nearly 9 years of marriage it's well past time to learn something!

Hi there
I am a local from Ouarzazate city, I am berber and I really would love to teach u either dialect Arabic or Berber
Just drop me a message if u like the idea

I believe that Darija has no written form. It's mainly spoken and used in our daily life. So I suggest you find some locals or online friends who can help you practice speaking and teach you some vocabularies or expressions to use during your visits.

Best of luck  Umm Yasmeen

I just started pimsleur Modern Standard Arabic - only done the first lesson but first impressions is it's much better than Michell Thomas

Thanks for everyone's replies. Someone from another forum recently suggested some youtube videos for me to learn some basic vocabulary and phrases. I've only viewed the first 2 so far, but I plan to make some flash cards to help me commit them to memory. My husband isn't a great teacher lol, but he is good at helping me clarify terms or topics after I've gotten a bit of a grasp of them. This should be a good start for now.

Here's the link if anyone's interested. It's for a beginner with little to no experience

500 Moroccan Phrases for Beginners : Parts 1-20: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … HutAYEDurZ