Timisoara/Cluj

Hello,

Has anyone lived in both or either of these cities? The forum seems extremely quiet and I'm wondering about life for an expat there. Please feel free to PM me.

What exactly are you wondering about? :)

Hi Romaniac,

I'm wondering about day to day life in either of these places. What are the amenities, the expat community, the locals' friendliness, social activities, the weather, the general mood of the place. The forums are very quiet especially when people post about what to do; I'm just curious about a lifestyle, for lack of a better description. I know both are University towns, so presumable have many young people. I'm 50, very active, and I'm trying to get a sense of what life is like there.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, if this clarifies things.

Dolfin66 wrote:

Hi Romaniac,

I'm wondering about day to day life in either of these places. What are the amenities, the expat community, the locals' friendliness, social activities, the weather, the general mood of the place. The forums are very quiet especially when people post about what to do; I'm just curious about a lifestyle, for lack of a better description. I know both are University towns, so presumable have many young people. I'm 50, very active, and I'm trying to get a sense of what life is like there.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, if this clarifies things.

Well I don't have any personal experience in Timisoara, I haven't been in that city though I've considered a move there.  Just my impressions, I think Cluj has more to offer.  There's the universities there, but also there is quite a large IT sector in Cluj and plenty of large multinational companies operating there.  Personally I liked it around there, there's nice scenery as the mountains (or very large hills) and forests are quite close.  I found people around Cluj to be friendly and helpful overall.  As a difference between the two cities, you'll find more ethnic Hungarians and Magyar being spoken around Cluj as opposed to TSR.

I know there are a fair amount of members of the site living in Cluj, probably not as many in Timisoara, but hopefully they can comment and offer their views also.

Thank you for your input. I hope to hear from others too, if there are members living there, as you say. I get the sense Cluj is a bit bigger. I appreciate your thoughts Romaniac.