I love Puerto Rico but just feel very isolated and lonely

Good plan. Spend some time here in Puerto Rico.  There is no substitute for just coming, looking around and seeing if there is a corner of the island that fits most of your needs.  Have a checklist of what you absolutely do not want to live without.  There are as many lifestyle options here in Puerto Rico as in most of the rest of the  USA.  If you wish, I can show you around my neck of the woods. I live in an area called Palmas del Mar in Humacao on the east coast.

:D James the center of the island is very quiet except for the following: too close to a church, somebody died (they drive around with vehicle mounted speakers telling everyone), or is close to elections and thy drive around with the same type of speakers telling why you should vote for them.

Thank you for your kind offer.  My neighbor, who travels to SJ regularly said I could travel there with him.  He suggested going in winter time for the cooler weather, and we are almost there!  I'll keep in touch!

I'm sure DR, and Chile are the same as PR, in that each area has its' own "micro cultural" differences, in addition to climate, and even dialect, and slang. There are dry areas, rainforest areas, coastal, mountain... There are pockets of communities spread throughout, that have a number of "expats", from the mainland USA, as well as many other countries. I've lived in Arroyo, Guayama, Rincon, and now, Isabela...  lots of Gringos, in many towns, all along the west coast, but I've also met Gringos, from mountain towns too. Personally, I prefer the west coast, it just feels more relaxed, and more welcome to me. I'd recommend flying into Aguadilla, and checking it out on the west. I know of a short term rental, (1 week to months) underneath the apt of a friend of mine, on a quiet dead end street, it may be available... let me know, and I'll put you in touch! He and his wife are retired, from Florida.

Frogrock, where do you volunteer? Sounds like a great way to spend time and learn too!

frogrock wrote:

I am learning Spanish but will never be fluent.  I am still challenged by the subjunctive tense of verbs, but I was able to communicate my needs in the hospital emergency room.  Most of my encounters are in Spanglish.  It is very common here where I live in Puerto Rico.  Ninety-eight per cent of the time this is good enough.   Ordering drive-through fast food orders is a challenge,and I do this for fun.  Just today, I asked my neighbor to help me telephone the plumber, but once he is here we will be able to communicate.  I am a volunteer at a thrift shop. This is a great way to hear everyday Spanish.

Where do you volunteer? Sounds like a great way to spend time and practice Spanish

I am a volunteer at the  Pulguero, which is the Puerto Rican word for Thrift Shop.  There is probably one near you, sponsored by the Salvation Army or a Church.

Hi everyone, I am a native of my island and was raised in Long Branch, new Jersey. I can tell you I have never heard of anyone dropping the letter you just mentioned. Normally we drop (or eat as we say ) the "S" , unless it in the beginning of a word and we also change the r into an "L" as in Puerta changing to puelta.
I have never heard of the word omision you mention, never. 'D' would be a difficult letter to omit for any reason. When people say pedo, the mean just that, pedo, which means fart. That usually what they are trying to say.

There is a coffee tomorrow morning for Newcomers PR, in Isla Verde, if anyone is interested in coming PM me and I can give you the details and meet you!

Boricua1 wrote:

Hi everyone, I am a native of my island and was raised in Long Branch, new Jersey. I can tell you I have never heard of anyone dropping the letter you just mentioned. Normally we drop (or eat as we say ) the "S" , unless it in the beginning of a word and we also change the r into an "L" as in Puerta changing to puelta.
I have never heard of the word omision you mention, never. 'D' would be a difficult letter to omit for any reason. When people say pedo, the mean just that, pedo, which means fart. That usually what they are trying to say.

The word is Puedo, which means Can shorten to pueo, Pegao instead of Pegado as the rice that sticks to the caldero. Arrimado changed to arrimao, there are many examples like enamorao instead of enamorado.

I was born and raised in PR until I was 20.

Darn! I have plans for tomorrow. Please post if you meet again.

The second wednesday of every month... I think i'm off island next month, but will post again the next time I go :)

Hi everyone!  My partner and I are hoping to move to Vieques, PR and become snowbirds (from Maine...the snow is only fun for so many decades.).  If any of you are on Vieques we would love to connect and learn more about construction, homes for sale...everything actually.  We will be coming down for our second trip this year already in a few weeks.  Glad I found this site!

download meetups app to your phone. Look for groups with similar interests.
If you have a hobby or sport... go where they are and introduce yourself. I've been "adopted" by many welcoming people and I do t speak Spanish!
Also I think there is a newcomers club google it.
Social media will be your friend!

dblahusch wrote:

Hi everyone!  My partner and I are hoping to move to Vieques, PR and become snowbirds (from Maine...the snow is only fun for so many decades.).  If any of you are on Vieques we would love to connect and learn more about construction, homes for sale...everything actually.  We will be coming down for our second trip this year already in a few weeks.  Glad I found this site!

Most of what is applicable to Puerto Rico is applicable to Vieques, with some minor exceptions:
Contractor and workers would likely have to be from Vieques otherwise they need to come and go everyday via the Ferry. This could be a problem if the Ferry is full and some of the workers can not come that day or arrive at different times depending on which Ferry they can get on.
Cost deferential, unsure which is lower, the mainland or Vieques.
Materials will need to arrive via Ferry, likely a price differential due to transport cost and handling at the mainland and Vieques.
You should consider renting the place when you are not in the island, an empty place for long periods of time could invite break-ins. May want to hire a company to handle the rentals, maintenance, cleanup and dealing with renters.

I hear ya. It's hard to share an experience or really talk to someone in English who doesn't live here abs would understand . Plus I have to work at home here while still sending my art to be published  In the States  and constantly feel isolated while all my old friends and colleagues are still there. Just feel out of the loop now. Can be depressing and lonely. Let's all hang in there  I find a walk on the beach every morning I can very therapeutic .   

I can't wait to move full time in a few more years. I go very often and have made some great friends. Maybe you just aren't social. I stay all over the island and make friends wherever I go.

Hi! Charlie here, founder at Mana Retreat Center in Vega Alta (we do startup events and retreats at our property). You may want to connect to Shipwreck, they are in Old San Juan and a lot of westerners, enterpreneurs, aritsts, etc. meet up there. "Shipwreck Studios" in San Juan on Google Maps