Property prices in Iasi

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Iasi is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Iasi?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

I don't know about sale prices, but rent can vary quite a lot.

If you are a foreigner and/or student it's likely to be higher, as is living in the centre, or in a modern apartment block (such at Lazar Residence or other modern towers).

I used a rental agent, and had to pay a commission to the value of one month's rent.
I don't like that each month I have to calculate euros to lei, because the apartment rent for me is stated in euro, and this is often the case.

I looked at many apartments before finding one where I was happy to stay.
It's had many many problems with plumbing and repairs needed but I'm not planning on moving because I'm very happy with the location and the price is decent, and I have a great view to the Palatul Culture.
Frustratingly, not all the repairs have worked, despite some of them being on quite a large scale. It seems as though the initial installation of many components of my apartment were done in a haphazard, half-hearted fashion, and until the apartment undergoes a complete overhaul (unlikely to happen ever), there will continue to be little things always going wrong.

I had a few bad experiences with different agents who would advertise one apartment, then when I organised the viewing would suddenly say it was taken but they had made appointments to show me other apartments which were out of my specifications completely, a waste of everyone's time.
I clearly stated my specifications, and also which specifications I would be happy to be flexible about or not, but the agents didn't seem to listen or take it on board.

I suggest when renting, that you use an agent someone else you know has recommended, and be VERY EXACT when you say that you do not want to view those other offers that are "very good for you/almost the same".
Be willing to try and barter for a better rent price, and take a Romanian along to help you out with that too.
Also be aware that if you need the contract of rent for a visa, that the owner must be willing to provide the appropriate registered contract (they need to pay a special tax).

MGBalive wrote:

I don't know about sale prices, but rent can vary quite a lot.

If you are a foreigner and/or student it's likely to be higher, as is living in the centre, or in a modern apartment block (such at Lazar Residence or other modern towers).

I used a rental agent, and had to pay a commission to the value of one month's rent.
I don't like that each month I have to calculate euros to lei, because the apartment rent for me is stated in euro, and this is often the case.

I looked at many apartments before finding one where I was happy to stay.
It's had many many problems with plumbing and repairs needed but I'm not planning on moving because I'm very happy with the location and the price is decent, and I have a great view to the Palatul Culture.
Frustratingly, not all the repairs have worked, despite some of them being on quite a large scale. It seems as though the initial installation of many components of my apartment were done in a haphazard, half-hearted fashion, and until the apartment undergoes a complete overhaul (unlikely to happen ever), there will continue to be little things always going wrong.

I had a few bad experiences with different agents who would advertise one apartment, then when I organised the viewing would suddenly say it was taken but they had made appointments to show me other apartments which were out of my specifications completely, a waste of everyone's time.
I clearly stated my specifications, and also which specifications I would be happy to be flexible about or not, but the agents didn't seem to listen or take it on board.

I suggest when renting, that you use an agent someone else you know has recommended, and be VERY EXACT when you say that you do not want to view those other offers that are "very good for you/almost the same".
Be willing to try and barter for a better rent price, and take a Romanian along to help you out with that too.
Also be aware that if you need the contract of rent for a visa, that the owner must be willing to provide the appropriate registered contract (they need to pay a special tax).

Many correct points, which I typically warn newcomers of.  Yes, try to always take a Romanian speaker with you when looking for places, or even to make first contact with an agent/landlord.  Most people, when they know they are dealing with a foreigner, suddenly increase the rental prices because they assume you have more money.  Almost always, prices can be negotiated.

The behavior of real estate agents you describe is typical.  They don't listen until you bluntly insist!  They pull this bait and switch game and show you what they want to get rid of; instead of showing you what you ask for.  Unfortunately, they don't think they should really have to work for that commission they are charging.

Property prices in the city are high, ridiculously high.  There are lots of new apartment buildings/complexes, with exorbitant prices and as you note, poor construction quality.  They build as cheaply and quickly as they can, take the money and run from buyers that fall for their marketing.  Property prices, including land prices, drop as usual as you get farther from the city center and towards the outskirts. 

I also stay in a "new" apartment building, and also experience problems that should not occur in a newer property.  For example, the ventilation system was not made correctly.  The apartments above us can smell what we cook, and in my bathroom I get cigarette smoke from someone who apparently likes to sit in their bathroom above us and smoke like a factory.  I've come to discover that the owners have sued the building owner for these problems, and also for fraud as the building was not built as stated in the plans. Also the apartments are smaller than claimed, so the owners were overcharged.

About the contract which you mention, any landlord is legally obligated to provide one.  As a correction though, no special tax must be paid.  The contract simply needs to be registered with ANAF (Finance dept), so that the owner is taxed on rental earnings.

MGB, I'm a bit surprised you have to calculate the rent from EUR to RON.  It's been my experience that most landlords prefer to take the rent in EUR, as it holds it's value much more than RON.  Everywhere I've rented, I've paid in Euro....and I only take Euros for the place I rent out :)