Property prices in Hessen

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Hessen is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Hessen?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

Hi,

one answer is not applicable to the whole of Hessen. Rea estate prices across Germany have moved strongl upwards since 2009. Quantative easing i.e. very low rates has added to the demand or housing across sectors i.e. semi-detached and detached houses, terraced houses and flats. Demnd far outstrips supply and it is clearly a sellers market. The most desirable places to live around Frankfurt are Königstein and Kronberg or generally The Taunus where you will find the most millionaires in Germany. New flats in Frankfurt go for anything between 5.000 and 20.000 for the most desirable high-end luxury urban living quarters. The cheapest places in Hessen are the far north. Anything in The Rhein-Main area is much more expensive. A cheap flat or house to buy would be anything under 20 times the annual cold rent.  Prices can even go up to 35-40 times the annual rent. Stamp duty at 6%, the broker at 5-6% and the cost for the notary and having the property registered can total 15% in all. Immobilienscout24.de gives you an excellent overview of prices. The local annual landtax has to be taken into account too as many municipalities are hiking these rates. South of Frankfurt prices have risen too but are genrally more affordale and the infrastructure is better. I live 15Km SE of Frankfurt. I have been in Germany for 40 years, bought several properties and know my way aroud the German system and banks. Anyone who would like a chat please write me anemail on this forum.