Is there anyone from Puerto Viejo de Limon?

I am from Canada, and I am wondering about a place called Puerto Viejo de Limon. Is there anyone that can email me information about what its like to live there. The weather, the animals, is it in the jungle, snakes, tourists (what kind), how it is to start a business there etc. what kind of business is needed in that area. Please let me know everything you can think of about it to tell me. I would love to know everything about this region before I come. Is there any danger around?

My birthday is on 26 November, I was born in 1955

Welcome on Expat.com ohgmomma ;)

I hope that you will get some responses soon concerning that locality in Costa Rica.

Regards!

Hi Ohgmomma,
I am considering this town also and did some research today. There is a site called internationalliving.com that has an awesome report on all of CR including Puerto Viejo. I just went to youtube and entered the town and saw some videos---really great!

I can't wait to go!

Best to you,
Dee

p.s. I thought it was called puerto viejo de talamanca---it's close to Limon tho

Thanks for the information. I have been reading alot about this area. You are right about the name to. Maybe I will see you there one day. Are you planning on buying there or renting? Are you retiring. I would like to move somewhere like this cause i want to retire, but I also want to do some kind of work still while living there. I am the type that I just can't be working. I guess I will just wait and see what God has in store for me. I might go down here and see the place in Feb.

I have been wanting to go for many years and now it would appear I am going there to retire since I am turning 60 soon. I work online but would also like to have some kind of work there---even if its waiting tables. I just like the idea of being out where people are part time.

Lucky you to go so soon! I am in the process of saving money. I have livid out of the usa before and know that unexpected things can happen.

Let me know what you think when you go. It would be fun to keep in touch and meet there someday.

Best to you,
Dee

other places for info on "Puerto Viejo de Talamanca" (as opposed to "de Sarapiquí") are:
http://weathercostarica.blogspot.com/http://www.travelexperiencecostarica.com/ (same author)
http://puertoviejosatellite.com/

Since you both mention wanting "something to do" :-) near PV, consider volunteering here:
http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org/
It is highly regarded

yay Julie, I was just thinking today that I will volunteer for something when I get down there. Thanks for the tip!

Best,
Dee

Lots of great information on those sites. I also found a site to take a few free spainish lessons.

learnspanishtoday.com

I would love to volunteer in some of the kids programs. I have always volunteered in Canada to.

what kind of business in the area is need?
Is is difficult to start something there?

Is it safe?  There is crime everywhere.  Do not carry or display wealth!  PV is a nice, remote area.  There are several Americans and Canadians that have set up a business - one a restaurant, the other a rental compound (go to loconatural.com).  Critters galore (poison dart frogs, snakes, monkeys, sloths and all the other creepy crawlers you find in a jungle).  I spent some time there and it is one of my daughter's favorite places to relax.  Don't expect many comforts of home - remember you are in a 3rd world country - enjoy it for what it can offer you that you can not find state-side.

Hola!
   You can find answers to just about every question you have, on my web site. I have lived in Puerto Viejo for three years and I love it here! I'm a writer. I write about my experiences here and also have lots of good, practical information available. If you have more questions after you have looked over my website, send me an email from the home page.travelexperiencecostarica.com/
Lisa
p.s. I see Julie H. mentioned me - thanks Julie!

Yay Lisa, I'll check it out! I am a writer too, online and have a couple of books in the works. Looks like a great place to get my muse on!
Thank you for posting. I look forward to reading your good stuff :)

Best to you,
Dee

Good to hear from you, Dee. Great photo, too. You look happy and happy people are more than welcome in Costa Rica - you'll fit right in.
Lisa

My partner and I went to Puerto Viejo for a vacation (the first 2 weeks of December 2010). I absolutely fell in love with the place.  It's not for everyone - the town of Puerto Viejo would probably be considered a bit of a "shanty town" by most Americans, but none the less, I loved it.  Talk about laid back.  Mostly very friendly people, and once I got the "lay of the land", felt very comfortable.  As with any strange environment, you don't leave your valuables laying around and use common sense. 

The beaches are virtually deserted - We even came across wild horses on the beach.  The tropical flowers are amazing and everywhere.  We were treated with hummingbirds, wild parrots and toucans visiting our cabina each morning.  Being mostly rain forest, it did rain quite a bit during our stay (we were there during December - one of the rainiest months) - but we didn't care.

We ate at some amazing restaurants.  From our home base in Play Negra, we could choose to take a 20 minute walk down the beach into town, or take a "taxi" (really just a guy with his own car) ride into town for 4 buck.  It seemed that anywhere you wanted to go in the areas was still 4 dollars.  No tip necessary.  There are two grocery stores in town and 1 atm machine.  One thing that took some getting used to was the fact that there are virtually no windows in any building or house.  Let me clarify myself - There are lots of windows - just no glass in the windows.  Just simple shutters that you swing shut at night.  The temperatures remain relatively the same throughout the year.  Mid 80's during the day, and mid 60's at night.  No heat, no a/c needed.  Many homes are "Tico" styled houses, which are very primitive with lots of open air living.

To summarize, we loved the area so much, that we're planning on retiring there soon. Please feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try to answer.

Hi all
We are  considering the move to Puerto Viejo De limon..has anyone traveled or lives there and can email me any info..about any cities that is close to great beaches but not too far from good shopping. .restaurant and the natural cultural of the country! !!
Thanks so much

Hi. I have lived in Puerto Viejo for almost 7 years. I am originally from Montana. I am a writer and I have a website with all kinds of articles about my experience moving to Costa Rica as a woman alone and living in Puerto Viejo. For the past 2 years I have run a guest house. Check out my website for answers to all of your questions. then if I can help you further, let me know.
Lisa
http://www.travelexperiencecostarica.com/

I've been blessed enough to to travel around the province of Limon and I love it.  PVT is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  Limon is unique as it is the center of Afro Latino culture in Costa Rica, and one will see a lot of similarities between the culture of the people of limon and Afro Caribbean culture. 

These are a very kind but fiery proud people who are protective of their land and culture.  Do visit Limon and Puerto Viejo,  do indulge in the amazing music, and cuisine.  Do enjoy the flora and fauna of the area.

Don't refer to it as the 3rd world. Do not move there with a business plan that caters only to tourists.  Do not refer the the town as a "shanty town".  You are a guest in their house and should act accordingly.  Go there with your eyes open expecting different and new experiences.  You will not be disappointed.  I find that white tourists in Limon are very invasive and a bit rude.  Be respectful, and don researching the rich history of the area and its people.

CiannaB wrote:

Don't refer to it as the 3rd world. Do not move there with a business plan that caters only to tourists.  Do not refer the the town as a "shanty town".  You are a guest in their house and should act accordingly.  Go there with your eyes open expecting different and new experiences.  You will not be disappointed.  I find that white tourists in Limon are very invasive and a bit rude.  Be respectful, and don researching the rich history of the area and its people.

Soooo agree with this statement.

Although this is a very old thread, I would still say most of what's been said is the same.  In almost anything related to living here, take what others say, including me, with a grain of salt.  Living here is VERY different than living in North America or Europe. 

What one person likes another may not.  As mentioned herein, many people who 'live' in the area of Limon like it. (Experiences through vacationing and living are two different worlds.)  At the same time you could not pay me to live there.  It's simply a matter of taste.  For anyone to make a choice of where to live here YOU need to experience it for yourself and then make that decision.

Another "opinion" of mine:  when you go to these websites or blogs that have nothing but positives things to say, I would not trust them.  Again, the majority of Gringos that move down here return within the first year.  There must be a reason.  It is a hard adjustment for most.  And again, my opinion, if you are a type A personality who does not adjust to change well, if your glass is 1/2 empty, you cannot accept others for who and what they are, CR will not be the place for you. 

And yes, I do love living here.  At the same time there are times where it is trying and I have to remember to accept things for the way they are.  I cannot imagine living back in the States, especially now.

- Expat Dave