Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Norway

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Norway can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Norway?

What are the most common clichés about life in Norway in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

- People are the same as the people in the UK.
-There is no racism
-Foreigners are welcome
-The elite politicians are mostly in it for themselves and worship the UN and want top jobs there.
-Social life is non-existent apart from alcohol fueled * meetings*
-Secular life is more approved of than religious life
-Peace loving nation-produces weapons for export
-There is no corruption
-Non-controlled media
This will do for a start

1.  People think that welfare is free here but its not.  There are many conditions attached to get free healthcare.  Even if you manage to get it, you may not get the treatment you wanted because the doctors do not think you need it or the treatment is deemed too expensive.  OR worse, they don't have the expertise or technology to treat you.  There is a recent news article that the government is reluctant to invest or train doctors to use new cancer technology (not exactly new because other countries been using it for 10 years) because they think it is too expensive.

2.  You can just come here to grab the maternity and paternity benefits?  Sorry....paternity for father is dependent on the mother.  if the mother is working and paying at least 6 months of tax before she pops, then father can enjoy the paternity.  otherwise....no paternity leave for father.

3.  You can easily claim unemployment benefits if you lost your job......you can only have it in your dream if you are not Norwegian citizen and holding on to only skilled worker visa because you dont get it.

I see your point

Is easy to find a job in Oslo,if u speak good English,.and u are well qualified in something.! I.m more then 7 years in Oslo,i.m EU Citizen,permanent resident from 2 years ago. Unemployment  benefits is easy to get it if u been working few years and u lose your job,or u resign because u are sick and u have documentation from your doctor. Is a good future pension if u work and pay taxes . 10 YEARS WORKING full time and after 65 years old u can get a pension. No social life,they  party a lot,but personal i don,t have Norvegian friends,just easy friendship where i.m working. The working conditions are very well,well paid compare with the rest of the world,respect from the society ,treat with dignity almost every were.I don,t speak any norwegian and i have 2 jobs.

Expensive  life but after get inside the society almost anyone can manage. Every year holiday money,u can travel to change thinks u get boring.