Wanting to move to Thailand... Advice needed

Hi all
What advice can anyone offer me on my desire to live in Thailand?
There is so much conflicting information on the internet. Your honest feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi Scouser, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

You may view the life in Thailand guide and have a look at other discussions on the Thailand forum.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will share their expat experience with you.

All the best,
Christine

Thanks Christine... Your swift response is much appreciated!!! I should say at this point that I intend to (hopefully) move over to Thailand mid year, I am single and will be 62 in May 2011... I'm looking to retire having lived in Australia for the past 33 years after leaving the UK in 1977.
Cheers

Best advice I can give is don't do it unless you have the financial resources.  Many people moved here on fixed incomes years ago when exchange rates were very good but most have lost 25-30 percent in the last five years.  The future could hold further declines in this rate as Asia booms and western countries stagnate.

Also consider that as Asia continues to move forward inflation will make it more expensive to live in Thailand.

Thanks Straydog..... I will be looking at all sides before making any rash decisions!!!

Hello,
The 2 easiest ways I can think of:

come to Thailand for a holiday and go to the place you would like to live.
Then visites schools and became an English teacher. The school has to by law give you a working permit and with that you can apply for a visa. So when you choose this option. What you have to watch out for is ask the school if they will give you a working permit, because some schools will not do, simply because they do not know how. And they law is not strict.

second is only possible if you are retired. If you are then just get the advise from the Thai embassy in your country.

There are other ways, but the first is the one I would advise.
Quite easy if you think you can teach. don't forget to bring a copy of your certificate. Should be bachelor of any subject is ok. You don't have to be a teacher.

Hopes this info helps

Sharai, living in Kaengkhoi Saraburi

Thanks Sharai
Very interesting!!!

i think the most important thing to remember is that you wont ever get here without a serious leap of faith!! if you want to come here bad enough you will. good luck!!

Cheers AdamD...... I agree you are right..... Thanks

Does anyone know about this 1 year non immigrant visa FOR THAILAND?  I can't get one with the consulate but this web site at siam-legal.com says they can for $489.
We are not going to be working in Thailand but want to live there as a family for a year. My husband works all around the world so we can live anywhere but I am having trouble getting visas for 1 year or more.
any help with this.....

And what is your particular question, sorry was meant for other poster.

kpearson you must ask if you qualify for Non-Immigrant visa.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA ( Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand )
Purpose of visit :
- To conduct business, attend conference, or to work (Category “B”)
- To study (Category “ED”)
- To visit family (Category “O”)
- To conduct scientific research or training (Category “RS”)
- To perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai ministries or Government Departments concerned (Category “R”)
- To work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter (Category “M”)
- To perform official duties (Category “F”)

Hi member.
Thailand have many area, 4 part ...North, south, east, west. Big city.
Would you like live in the Northern in Thailand..have mountain, but no beach.. if you want to go you plan your trip on summer time...
The northern have 4 season...
The best Chiang Mai...you can found the thing you like...food..Thai food, western food..etc...Nice place for relax.
The cost sheep..
I can help.. any way..
Have a good day.
nannapat

Hi friend,
What kind of advise you need..  This place is perfect to live.
tell me what you want to know.

Hi Scouser,

I'm Kim and living in Bangkok, Thailand. Just want to recomment you the place where you shouldn't miss. There are many retired foreigners spend their vacations there.
==================================
Located on  the sunrise side of the Gulf of Thailand, Hua Hin is well-established beach destinations, with full facilities. But not know Pattaya, on the opposite shores of the Gulf, Hua Hin provide a quieter, more relaxed retreat amid surroundings which preserve a typical Thai ambience. Hua Hin is well suited for families or for those who wish simply to escape city bustle.

Hua Hin is similarly noted for its magnificent beach, running from a rocky headland, which separates it from a tiny fishing port, and curving gently for some three kilometres to its southern point where Buddhist temples cling to the cliffs.