Adapting to the climate in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Brazil is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Brazil?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Brazil?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

I visited Belem for about 90 days and I was warned it was Hot in the Northeast and it was for most days the temperature was anywhere for the high 70s to the low 90s on any given day,the rain in Rain City was not to bad for I was there June-September.

My doctor gave me a prescription for malaria pills yet the warning on the pills stated stay away from the sun,how can one come to Brasil and not enjoy the heat and sun anyway I did not take the preventative meds.

I found each day to be tolerable, rested during the hottest part of the day, shopped early morning, followed the locals recommendations, drank lots of water and followed the local dress code short pants,tshirt and the classic flip flop  some days I would wear tennis shoes and socks (lol), always carried a hat used sunscreen and showered a couple of times each day we had water which was 95% of the days I was there.

I also purchased a air conditioner for my hostess as a gift for comfort on the crazy hot days and the fan was a comfort. On rainy days enjoyed the cool if it ever was cool and waited for the sauna effect after the rain, on windy das enjoyed the breeze.

All in All follow the local customs and one will be fine. I never had a miserable day in Belem.

Mind all my home is Alaska for now hoping to return to the heat/hot soon.

Dear Priscila,

In fact it all depends upon the person who can adapt easily to one´s nature. If one is coming from a very cold country then obviously he or she will feel the heat of this country in every aspect of life. Brazil  has a tropical weather and it is well known. So whoever comes here first has to know that here there are three types of weather i.e. hot, very hot and extremely hot.

So all is that how one adopts it if he or she wants to live in this country.

Sincerely,

Shahbaz

I have lived in the northeast and north central part of the United States all my life where there are four complete seasons including very cold and snowy winters and hot, humid summers.
As for Brazil, my wife is from Belo Horizonte which is very far south of the equator.
We visit often. I find the weather there just about perfect with minor changes in temperature between winter and summer. And one very important weather feature - the humidity is very tolerable. Even in the summer, nights are pleasant and cool.
Go to the southern part of Brazil and there will be few complaints about the weather.

I would also have to say, Brazil has some of the best weather in the world....it can get a little hot and humid, sure but generally it has the best balance of nice tropical weather and is usually hot or warm with a few odd cold days.

I think if you can't handle the weather in Brazil or find it difficult to deal with then theres not much hope for you, unless you in maybe Manaus or something

Hi Priscila,

I have lived in Espírito Santo for over six years now.  I am from Holland, but I did not have any trouble with the much higher temperatures in the summer.  In fact, when Brazilians were complaining about the heat, I really enjoyed it.  Maybe it is because I am rather skinny that my body can handle hot weather better that cold weather.  Now it is winter here, and when the temperature drops below 20 Celsius, I actually feel cold!

My sister visited with me three times, and one time during mid-summer.  She is a real sun-lover, but she found the temperatures to be unbearable, and complained a lot.

What you do have to watch out for is the sun, especially between 11 am and 3 pm during the summer.  I have a very pale skin, and burn very quickly.  Therefore, I avoid being in the sun for longer times, and if I have to, I use plenty of sunscreen / sunblock, and something to cover my (shaved) head. 

It obviously also depends on where you live, as the south is colder than the north.  There are many sites where you can find average temperatures and other climate information for a state, region or city. 

Another thing is how you are housed (air-conditioner?) and where you work.  It is certainly not a given that a house or apartment has air-conditioning, but in offices and larger stores, there almost is.

On a side-note...  Brazilians have the habit to turn the air-conditioning up to maximum, or close to it.  That means that if you come from outside (30 degrees) into a room (18 degrees, or lower), you get quite a shock, at least I do. 

I guess it all comes down to how you personally experience it.  But I would say that most foreigners need a bit of time to adjust. 

All the best,
Peter