Racism in Barcelona.

I normally prefer posting things that are positive, but unfortunately this one is not one of those. As I explained, I am Canadian/Mexican. If you see my picture you will understand what I am talking about. Anyway, since I am in Spain I have received some racist attitudes that I find disgusting. At the beginning I didn't want to put so much attention to it, but well, I guess that after a while I had to talk about it.

When I was looking for a flat, I asked a Spanish girl if the area of Eixample was a good place to live. The answer was "It is a good place, expensive, and the immigrants don't live here, they normally live in the area of ...., You should look there". I didn't like the comment, but I didn't want to argue with her. I guess that comment stayed in me, an unconsciously I looked for an apartment in Eixample, and guess what, I live right next to Paseo de Gracia.

The second time I got this kind of attitude was at Ikea. I went to buy some stuff, and everything was going well  until I paid in the automatic service. When I got my bag and walked away one security agent stopped me to verify my items. I thought it was something they do to everybody, but stayed in front of the place fixing the stuff in the bags and noticed these guys stop mainly those who doesn't look Spanish or white.   

As I said, I am sharing this because there was a third time. I wanted to go to this place called the Jamboree. The place is located in a plaza next to the Ramblas. I arrived at the club and queued. When I got in front of the bouncer, the guy asked me if I was in the list; my answer was "no", so the guy told me I was not able to go in. I stayed in front of the place trying to load the webpage of the place in my cellphone, so I could put myself in "the list". I started talking to this French couple (Coming from Montreal, I also speak French). So the guys told me they were not in such list, but they would try to go in and invited me to go with them. When we arrived in front of the Bouncer, the guy looked at me again and told me "you cannot go in". I asked why and the answer was that I was not in the list. The French couple told them they were not in the list neither, but the bouncer told them "it is ok, you can go in". The French couple looked at me and told me they were sorry not knowing what to do. I just told them to enjoy the night, and ask for the real reason of not allowing me in, I also told him that I was a tourist and didn't understand this attitude against me, but the second bouncer yelled at me and told me if I was not happy I could complain with "the United nations". I really wanted to laugh at that moment, but I appreciate having all my teeth, so just move away very disappointed by this racist attitude. I was wearing a nice jacked, shoes and everything , much better than some people I saw going in. So my only conclusion was that they are  a bunch of racist people in this place. Next to the club there were two police men and so I  talked to them and explained the situation. They told me that I can complain in the “ayuntamiento” on Monday. I went back home very frustrated and decided to write this lines.

I believe the racism is something disgusting and very primitive. I am also very disappointed that Spain is so racist, I never thought it would be like this =(

Anyway, your opinion will be well appreciated.

I am really sorry to hear that...
I hope it doesn't happen again.
Laura

Hi Ed,

What you wrote is unfortunately true, it is a hard struggle whe have to lead daily together.
You should contact SOS Racismo and try always to get proofs (record their comments with your mobile, have witnesses contact data.)
You should also report and denounce in public forums, like this one, giving the name of the institution that made the abuse in order to boycott it.
Spain is still not acustomed to multiculturality like other european countries and unfortunatetly many spanish people have a short memory, since Spain in the 80's had and still have many of its citizens working abroad.

Cheers,
Salambo

Dude ,

I also have faced this kind of situations. I won't say a racist issue but in my last post i did write about this closed attitude of local people with non catalan-no spanish speaking people.As if they are not interested any more to mingle with us who don't speak their language. Btw am Indian, so am not white...

Cheers ,

Sougata

Salambo2011 wrote:

Hi Ed,

What you wrote is unfortunately true, it is a hard struggle whe have to lead daily together.
You should contact SOS Racismo and try always to get proofs (record their comments with your mobile, have witnesses contact data.)
You should also report and denounce in public forums, like this one, giving the name of the institution that made the abuse in order to boycott it.
Spain is still not acustomed to multiculturality like other european countries and unfortunatetly many spanish people have a short memory, since Spain in the 80's had and still have many of its citizens working abroad.

Cheers,
Salambo

thanks for this info Salambo, I didn't know about SOS Racismo. I will complain there. So guys do ot go to the Racist Jamboree please.

indianabroad wrote:

Dude ,

I also have faced this kind of situations. I won't say a racist issue but in my last post i did write about this closed attitude of local people with non catalan-no spanish speaking people.As if they are not interested any more to mingle with us who don't speak their language. Btw am Indian, so am not white...

Cheers ,

Sougata

Hi Sougata. I do not think this is only a case of close attitude since I also speak Spanish, remember I am also Mexican. Thanks!

In fact, the issue of racism in Spain is really disgusting and primitive.I really agreed with all that happened to you, itŽs unfortunate that in this 21st century, most people in Spain are still behind multicultural world of civilization. I am spending nine years in Barcelona,I have experience difference attitude of racism and at different levels and areas within the society. Actually, there is racism in every part of the world, I have been to different parts of europe, but the attitude of racism here in Spain is a thing of uncivilization as a result of absence of multicultural education, orientation and awareness of the people from the responsible institutions.Well, as immigrants,we just have to torlerate and do the best we can to modernising the reasoning faculty of the people through social network like this.

Ok I understand what you say but you have to understand that immigrants do cause a lot of trouble here. I've been spending a lot of time in Barcelona for the last 4 or so years but only lived here a few months and due to my friends have met a wide array of people from politicians to postmen. When I've spoken to security guards and Policemen they have told me that most the shop-lifters tend to be South-American immigrants or gypsies. A fact confirmed when somebody I met had moved in to one of the known immigrant/gypsy areas recently and had told me that they didn't need to buy anything from the shops as she could buy it stolen (even to order). So you can start to understand why people have this attitude.

As for your club incident have you thought that they may have just wanted to keep a 50/50 male to female ratio. I've see this all over the UK where they would not let people in to clubs giving all kinds of silly reasons. Then you return 30 mins later with some girls in the group and they would let straight in.

I'm not saying anything that you encountered is correct because its not but unfortunately it is a way of life. I have found racism in various forms in every country I have ever lived or worked. Sometimes towards me but mostly towards others and mainly towards recently settled ethic groups. And yes I agree with the comment above that most of it comes from a lack of understanding and yes governments and city councils could do more. Though I do think Spain is starting to realize that it has to more. I know one city council where they actively encourage ethnic groups to participate in local festivals to help them share their culture. I guess every step is a step forward.

shaka1976 wrote:

Ok I understand what you say but you have to understand that immigrants do cause a lot of trouble here. I've been spending a lot of time in Barcelona for the last 4 or so years but only lived here a few months and due to my friends have met a wide array of people from politicians to postmen. When I've spoken to security guards and Policemen they have told me that most the shop-lifters tend to be South-American immigrants or gypsies. A fact confirmed when somebody I met had moved in to one of the known immigrant/gypsy areas recently and had told me that they didn't need to buy anything from the shops as she could buy it stolen (even to order). So you can start to understand why people have this attitude.

As for your club incident have you thought that they may have just wanted to keep a 50/50 male to female ratio. I've see this all over the UK where they would not let people in to clubs giving all kinds of silly reasons. Then you return 30 mins later with some girls in the group and they would let straight in.

I'm not saying anything that you encountered is correct because its not but unfortunately it is a way of life. I have found racism in various forms in every country I have ever lived or worked. Sometimes towards me but mostly towards others and mainly towards recently settled ethic groups. And yes I agree with the comment above that most of it comes from a lack of understanding and yes governments and city councils could do more. Though I do think Spain is starting to realize that it has to more. I know one city council where they actively encourage ethnic groups to participate in local festivals to help them share their culture. I guess every step is a step forward.

Dear Shaka,

Although I see your point, I still believe that such typification of the "Bad Guys" doesn't justify been racist. You can disagree with immigrants been in your country, but still you treat them with respect. This racist attitude only generates hate between the population. In the end, this lack of integration of the immigrants is also the result of this kind of attitudes. 

Concerning the case of the club. I would be more than happy to know this was a case of creating a balance between the guys/girls attending to the club, but I saw many other guys going in. So, sadly as it is for me, it was a racist attitude.

I hope Spain gets it eventually and starts making efforts to integrate the population.

Anyway I appreciate all the comments generated by this post. It is good to know the point of view of the readers of this forum.

Hi !!
I'm french and my english is not very correct  !!!
But I understand what you write and I find is sooooo sad for a country like Spain ... !!!
Why you don't call SOS RACISM ( en France we say " sos racisme " I don't know what is the english word for that ) ...

But, I think , you don't have to undergo , you have to fight against , it's really stupid to see that today in 2011 ...

shaka1976 wrote:

Ok I understand what you say but you have to understand that immigrants do cause a lot of trouble here.

What a load of racist nonsense.How many immigrants commit crime here? What percentage? What percentage of crimes are committed by immigrants?

"Immigrants", as you say, do NOT "cause a lot of trouble here". Although they are, generally, discriminated against when it comes to employment, housing, racial epithets in the street (many Spaniards have happily told me that the various racist nicknames they use for different types of foreigners "aren't racist because they're funny"!!).

I think you're right that things are getting a little better... at least here in BCN, anyway. The thing is that in Spain, equality means equality between the sexes (which is very very important), and nothing else.

Oh, BTW shaka1976 - according to your profile, you're an immigrant here. Like me. Or do you count yourself as somehow outside that category?

Growing up in the '60s in south london from an immigrant anglo indian family, english parents wouldn't let their children play with us.  When you are young you don't realise the reason but you just shrug your shoulders and get on with it. Racism is not just prevalent between different nationalities, it can even exists in families. My attitude is its their problem and they will never have anything that I desperately need so I just live and let live.  Sorry about the effect it is having on you and hope that you will find it in your heart to forgive these people their shortcomings and focus on what is important in YOUR life.

thebadrash wrote:
shaka1976 wrote:

Ok I understand what you say but you have to understand that immigrants do cause a lot of trouble here.

What a load of racist nonsense.How many immigrants commit crime here? What percentage? What percentage of crimes are committed by immigrants?

"Immigrants", as you say, do NOT "cause a lot of trouble here". Although they are, generally, discriminated against when it comes to employment, housing, racial epithets in the street (many Spaniards have happily told me that the various racist nicknames they use for different types of foreigners "aren't racist because they're funny"!!).

I think you're right that things are getting a little better... at least here in BCN, anyway. The thing is that in Spain, equality means equality between the sexes (which is very very important), and nothing else.

Oh, BTW shaka1976 - according to your profile, you're an immigrant here. Like me. Or do you count yourself as somehow outside that category?

Yes I do count myself as an immigrant and I come from a long line of immigrants. My father, grandmother, grandfather, great-grandmother and great-grandfather were all born in different countries and all emigrated and settled in other countries. The joys of the British Empire I guess. The funny thing is I look more Spanish than my native girlfriend.

katiebcn wrote:

Hi,

I'm French/Canadian (have lived in Montreal)and I experience some racism here. Almost everyday I heard racist comment here.
At the "tienda de la loteria" the woman looking at a chinese family told us (sin verguenza): "all these chinese, everywhere, having some many children, so awful children". I felt sad, but not for the chinese community who are so courageous and smart people, but for this simple woman who has a so narrow mind, she'll probably never know what she misses. The global world, the richness of the multiculturality, is not only a social trend, but is really present everywhere now. But unfortunately, some people are not already on the train. They just are off the track.
I know this anger  we feel when someone reacts this way (especially if it's against yourself). After that normal feeling, just try to look at this kind of people as "poor people, they're from another time". "Dont'take it personally"(I love this sentence I heard everyday in Montreal).
But bad social attitudes have to change and denounce them at SOS Racismo is certainly useful and contribute to change these bad behaviour.
By the way, when I was pregnant, nobody gave me a seat on the bus or on the metro. A friend of mine told me that here, you have to ask the things ("pedir un asiento")for yourself.I never did it, I couldn't do it.When I see a pregnant woman in the public transportation, I ask for her a seat. Nobody can't refuse it. One day, nobody wanted to move from the space reserved for handicapped people in the metro, when a wheel-chair came in. I asked all the people to get up, they seemed not to understand what was the problem. I thought I was in another planet... That's what we call here (there is a special phone number for this to denounce it) the "incivismo". It's very common here.
Especially if you come from Montreal (or everywhere in Canada) where " les droits de la personne"(individual rights) are so respected, the change could be brutal here. Welcome in this old Spain. Pero "cambiara, poco a poco", come lo dijo Zapatero cuando tomo el poder. Changes will be slow and laborious. It's an old and traditional, static society. But we love it...

totally agree! I also lived in Montreal and I never see a pregnant woman asking people for a place to sit. I hope civilization gets into Spain very soon!

Ed! I know oh so very well what you've been going thru! I'm an expat from the u.s. and I feel as if I'm in the segregated south sometimes. I'm a part of what I call the "misfit crew." A tall dark skinned "african" american, a brown skinned chicano, and me, the light skinned "african" american / native american. When people see is together they're baffled. They might be thinking one of us will try to sell them a fake name brand cheap bag, the next one will try to sell them beer and a cheap toy, and the last one, (me) will be trying to rob them.
All of us highly educated professional and polite, (probably much more than most of the people we encounter). It's very true that we do look like our immigrant, "counter part", cultures... african, pakistani and moroccan. As being mistaken as these cultural groups, BY these very same groups, proves that we are being prejudged. Even our colleagues have stated, that they have "friends" who are highly prejudice and often discriminate.
Your Jamboree experience is all to often and the same thing happened at the so called "Apolo". The security asked us, "where are from?" WHAT?!?!?! Nicely put together lothes are clearly outshone by our skin. lol
Banned Places:
"Apolo" , "Harlem Jazz Club", Jamboree,
Not trying to sound arrogant but, It's so insulting, because our ancestors are the direct reason, these people can have such bars with jazz themes. The whole idea was to create a place that all people could enjoy.. Now here come these uneducated (mostly bouncers) folks, and force us to prove our very existence to them, so that they may grace us by letting us partake in these jazz type "events." I'm staying home. ;-)

thebadrash wrote:
shaka1976 wrote:

Your defense is appreciated.
I have to disagree with you. Of course "Shaka" knows that he's an immigrant as I am and many of us here are. But let's be real for a moment.... can we? I happen to be from one of the most dangerous cities in the u.s., Oakland California. It's a very international city and most of the crimes are committed by people of less economic means. They happen to be mostly "black" and "latino". Everyone knows this.... even the other "blacks" and "latinos" that do NOT commit nor have ever committed crimes, KNOW this.
In Barcelona, it's NO different. People with less economic means tend to commit more crimes and gravitate towards more affordable places for them to live. This demographic happens to be people who are immigrants. Let's just look at it for what it is. Even as "people of color", we're NOT afraid to recognize it. Please try to understand. We are talking about a demographic and of course we KNOW it's NOT ALL...but I've never been almost mugged by spaniards as I almost was by some moroccans. It wasn't spaniards, who took my colleagues iphone. Nor was it spaniards who harassed my ex-girlfriend for several blocks, OR, threatened another friend of mine in an elevator, OR..... the list goes on.
HAVING SAID THAT: I've seen adult spanish women duck behind people to get into the metro. One tried it with me and I told her, "If I were trying to do this, you sure wouldn't like it." Spanish men help themselves to a bill or money that someones dropped while waiting in line. Let's NOT forget the change from a transaction. Count it!!!

:(

blacktsalagi wrote:

I have to disagree with you. Of course "Shaka" knows that he's an immigrant as I am and many of us here are. But let's be real for a moment.... can we? I happen to be from one of the most dangerous cities in the u.s., Oakland California. It's a very international city and most of the crimes are committed by people of less economic means. They happen to be mostly "black" and "latino". Everyone knows this.... even the other "blacks" and "latinos" that do NOT commit nor have ever committed crimes, KNOW this.
In Barcelona, it's NO different. People with less economic means tend to commit more crimes and gravitate towards more affordable places for them to live. This demographic happens to be people who are immigrants. Let's just look at it for what it is. Even as "people of color", we're NOT afraid to recognize it. Please try to understand. We are talking about a demographic and of course we KNOW it's NOT ALL...but I've never been almost mugged by spaniards as I almost was by some moroccans. It wasn't spaniards, who took my colleagues iphone. Nor was it spaniards who harassed my ex-girlfriend for several blocks, OR, threatened another friend of mine in an elevator, OR..... the list goes on.
HAVING SAID THAT: I've seen adult spanish women duck behind people to get into the metro. One tried it with me and I told her, "If I were trying to do this, you sure wouldn't like it." Spanish men help themselves to a bill or money that someones dropped while waiting in line. Let's NOT forget the change from a transaction. Count it!!!

Perfectly put!

Poverty and desperation breed crime, and the most impoverished parts of any society are generally people who have come as migrants with nothing in search of a better situation.

Some of them will manage to climb up out of that and some of them won't, those that don't will become more dejected and desperate and look for alternative ways to improve their situation.

This has nothing to do with their race, but most of the immigrants who come to Spain for that reason are African or South American, with a smaller amount of Eastern Europeans. This makes them more visible and taints the public view of "immigrants", because the majority of people don't stop to think or care about why this is happening.

Hi All,

This is a difficult subject everywhere not just in Spain.  Now I am a white male from england but my wife is Catalan.  At home we speak in english and I am doing the very best I can to learn spanish.  I have lived here for 4 years now and have discovered it is the same as every other country I have lived.  You have people with manners who are open minded and then other people.  I am not defending any groups os people nor I am attacking just telling of some of my experiences.  You may think that I have no right talking on this post because I am white but read on and then evaluate. 
3 men tried to mug me on La Rambla a few years ago, they were spanish.  Then the same evening I had the same issue but this time the muggers were white.
Another day I had a Catalan man shouting at me in a bar but very abusive because I was being friendly with the chinese staff but he was shocked when a local gypsy came in and threw him out.  A couple of days later I had problems with some other gypies trying to scam me.   
These are some experiences I have had in Spain, anyway maybe I am an idealist but I believe that alot of people are very close minded not just because of colour but the way you behave.  Alot of people are not used to seeing manners for example, one day I was walking home and saw an old woman stuggling with her shopping, as soon as I offered to help her she near enough sprinted away. 
I have had catalan people refuse to speak to me becasue I donŽt speak catalan, only spanish.  I had morroccan man give me back  10euros that I dropped in the street without knowing, he could have had the money and gone but he didnŽt.
The bottom line is everybody is different, some have manners, some have education.  Then you have the people who think this is my country you should not be here.
I am sorry to hear about your experiences and everybody elses, just try and be patient. 
I know what I have written is probably to irrelevant but I wanted to share the good and the bad.

Ps
A problem that regularly occurs is because I am english and white people think I have money, this is not the case.HELP

I'm ashamed of the situations you've been in while living in Bcn: i wish they were not real and we can presume of being multicultural and open minded... But certainly, sometimes, is not like that.

We were a country of expats (i'm thinking about my grandad's generation) till very recent years where, with the late 90's economic boom, we received more than 5 millions of foreigners (legal, registered ones... More than 10% of our total population!). There's lot of people that fears the "other", the "different" and we need time and higher educational levels to change that.
I'm sorry you came across with this attitudes, next time say firmly "quiero la hoja de reclamaciones" (for sure they have it in Ikea and in any pub, disco, restaurant, bank) an write there too what you did here (contacting also SOS Racism).

There are some really well-thought out comments on this thread. It's been a pleasure reading them.
For the record, and only in my opinion, all people have every right to speak out on this subject. No matter how far we feel that we might be from the topic of "race", racism or "Intolerance" (in any form) is just something that exist in most "modern" (especially urban) societies. It's beneficial to hear about the experiences from people of all backgrounds.
There are some "ethnic" people who do believe that, "white" (people with less melanin) people have no valuable insight on the topic of race……
It would be wise for "those people", to remember that we are all on this "living rock" together. Even the (somewhat famed) civil rights movement (in the u.s.), had many supporters outside of the african american demographic, which included chinese, native american, "white", japanese, chicano, etc… Some were angry at the outcome but many were quite pleased and today, our integration benefits everyone…… (maybe not "white males" so much) joke! 
In other words, content of character totally eclipses "race" or "nationality" or anything.
I learned that from my mother who grew up in the segregated south. As a "black" woman, she had friends of all shades, she always carried herself with dignity and was able to get along with anyone.
I do feel that it is essential, perhaps crucial, for us to move beyond and evolve the idea of "race" but at the same time…we'd be smart to always remember that all of us have seeds of prejudice, discrimination and perhaps some intolerance on some level. Recognizing that would in fact allow us to truly move on and enjoy each other much more than we already do now. :cheers:

WoW this sucks! Barcelona huh?? I know some very sexy girls from Barcelona lol and I would have never had thought Barcelona would be this way but I've been hearing about this from other people lately. What do you expect from an under developed county though(and I mean that with all respect).
So why don't you guys just move... let the Spaniards be Spaniards. Those guys are angry, frustrated and misinformed at the moment. They might work it out one day but all I can say is move. There are waaaay better places where people will love you for being different.
But then again... no matter where you go there will be some racism. I always hear people say that "I can't believe that there is still racism in this day and age" but it doesn't matter, racism will live an eternity. People will always hate you for something, if not because of your race then something else.
You can't run, you can't hide.
If you're rational you will get through this with a clear head. Racism is the primitive doctrine for ignorance... 
an yes, educated people are ignorant too! Like trained morons or a prison inmate who has earn a law degree. Those people will speak as if their ignorance hold some validity, but having a few pieces to a puzzle doesn't make it complete.
I read on this thread some pathetic excuse about immigrants.
Well no man should be held accountable for the actions of another. Its not rocket science. Let me elaborate... A black man should not be accountable for the actions of some moron in his race nor should a German be accountable for the torcher his countrymen has inflicted on another etc. etc. nor should any man take credit for the achievements of his race. You are only responsible for you. A genius is a genius and a moron is a moron regardless of what race he is from.
You guys have a nice day, Im done here.

I am sorry to hear things are so primitive in this side of the world, but let's keep in mind that racism is IGNORANCE. Apparently Spaniards have no memory and forgot what Mexico did for many during the civil war:
explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/events/dca_tourism/VisaToParadise.html

Cheers!!

Hello, Ed,
Unfortunately, this is happening because these people are very ignorant. I am sure they never travelled or live abroad. They just want to make themselves "powerful" and judge people.
There is an office in c/ Ferran against racism. It is very burocratic, but if you still want to complain, you can go there.
I live in (and want to leave) Barcelona and I am also aware of how racist are people here. I am sorry of the problems you had here. I have lived in Japan, Romania, Germany, and spent half of this year in New York, and I had never a problem like those you have here. Things like those that happen to you remind me that Barcelona is not a cosmopolitan place, that's why I want to leave the city.

Hi-
Normally, I don't tend to voice my opinions on these things but I stumbled upon a post (then followed by a ton of replies) that I just could not pass by.
I am a 75% South Korean and 25% Russian female who was educated in the US for the last 10 years of my life. I was born in Paris, France then moved to London, GB when I was 6, where I lived until I was 12 when I moved to the US. I just graduated from college in San Diego, California last year and I decided to give Barcelona a try since my boyfriend was half Spanish half American and Spain was where he was raised for the most part due to his parents' unfortunate divorce situation. I was actually quite excited about my move, but let's me honest I've been to all kinds of places so I was real in terms of what to expect and what not to.
However, when I touched down in Barcelona and woke up the next morning and went for a quick 2 minute walk to get a sandwich with my boyfriend (who clearly looks white and speaks fluent spanish), I was already realizing maybe I made a terrible mistake. In the 2 minutes I was outside of the premises of my hotel, people were pointing fingers at me, some of them blatantly laughing at me and whispering, and some of them even bothered to stop their journey and peeked into my sunglasses to take a closer second look as if they had never seen an oriental person before.
Just like the first poster of this article, I decided to ignore it and think that maybe I had a different makeup on or maybe they were just curious or anything that I can manipulate myself into thinking positively and not be a hypochondriac about the reactions.
But as time went on, things only started getting worse and worse. Even little kids in their uniform were pointing at me calling out "china! china!" (meaning a chinese woman) and stared me down to a point of utmost discomfort and when I spoke English on the phone when I walked, they would scream out and say "we don't understand chinese!"
The thing is. As I explained before, I am three quarters KOREAN and a quarter RUSSIAN. I definitely am NOT chinese nor have I ever even been to China nor do I speak of word or Chinese. Yes I do think that Chinese people are very beautiful in ways these Spanish people will never be, and my ex boyfriend was Chinese, so we can establish that I do not judge anyone based on their physical appearances. But it almost bothered me to my core that these ignorant people generalize anybody that has oriental features as chinese, and to go on and finger point at them and mock them in public is a WHOLE NEW category of crime.
It didn't just stop there. I would go shopping on Paseo de Gracia and at high end designer boutiques, workers refuse to help me not only take a look at their products, but even for me to PAY for the stuff I've chosen to purchase. I literally had to hunt them down and ask, can I please pay for this?
When the real question I should be asking is, Do you want to do business or not?
I got a membership at this Gym called Iradier. Those of you who live in Barcelona may know about it, it's a very ritzy ladies only gym in my neighborhood. And god forbid, you can only imagine what goes on in that little evil club between all these ladies that think they're the queens and their stuck up pride that cannot condone the fact that an oriental person should have access to such a privileged club. I get stared down before or after shower like some naked money with horns in the locker room and even the worker that hands out keys and towels dismisses me, who is a paying member of the club.
And my boyfriend's ignorant mother made a GRAVE verbal mistake one day saying how she does not like Chinese or Japanese people because they have flat heads and yellow skin and she cannot stand it.
That just had me right there.
I believe that everyone on this planet earth is unique in their own way and is beautiful for that very reason. If I think about it, I have friends in almost every race I know of, and the mixes in between. I know a friend that is of Indian descent who is GORGEOUS and exotic. I know the most beautiful enchanting African American male friend who is also half Asian. My roommate freshmen year in college was probably the most sought after, "hottest" female in my entire college and she was from Mexico and a lot of my friends from San Diego who are of Asian descent reminds me everyday how unique and amazing the oriental beauty can be. I was taught to appreciate others for who they are and not convince them to think they're less than good enough because they're different. In Barcelona? I'm just some china who came here with fake Louis Vuittons and fake everything who just wants to find a way to illegally mooch off of what this so called great country has to offer. I was actaully in line at the airport and these two spanish guys behind me were saying how it's a chinese girl with a fake Louis Vuitton. Not only am I NOT chinese, my bag was real. They don't get that people of races other than their "great spanish blood" can afford an honest good living nor are they worthy of it.
After so much time and effort that went in for me to try to understand these BS incidents, I decided to move back to motherland, which is South Korea. Spanish might look down at it and say (and actaully have said to me numerous times) "oh do you guys dine off the floor? do you have a fridge in your house? do you have bathrooms with a toilet? do you row a wooden boat to get to work?" but little do they know that in such an oriental and small country, we actually have a much more sophisticated and modern standard of living with BIG FAST elevators (does Spain have that? I've seen it ONCE at the W hotel) and modern italian furniture with water that's got pressure and doesn't die out after 2 minutes of using and a long hot shower and people drive Mercedes and Porsches LEFT AND RIGHT.
I think what Spanish people are doing to us foreigners is beyond disgusting , but I know they will get it one day. Especailly cities like Barcelona where they depend heavily on tourism, if they treat all the ethnic people this way then eventually no one will pay money to come get this kind of treatment. I'm not worried about that. I want everyone to know that those of you who shared your unfortunate stories, I am right there with you and I truly sympathize because I've been mocked and stomped on in this city and I know that none of you deserve anything remotely close to that as a human being with human dignity.
My boyfriend still tells me (in fact he told me today AGAIN) that I'm the crazy one for making up all these scenarios in my head when people do NOT discriminate here. Well, I'm really glad to see that I'm not in fact crazy and that racism IS what defines Barcelona and there's other victims to prove wrong.
I wish you all the best, but my word of advice, these people aren't changing any time soon. So if you want to be treated like a normal human being (that is to say not even appreciated or respected..but just..not treated like shit by these ignorant people) I suggest you seriously consider relocating.

Kelene wrote:

Hello, Ed,
Unfortunately, this is happening because these people are very ignorant. I am sure they never travelled or live abroad. They just want to make themselves "powerful" and judge people.
There is an office in c/ Ferran against racism. It is very burocratic, but if you still want to complain, you can go there.
I live in (and want to leave) Barcelona and I am also aware of how racist are people here. I am sorry of the problems you had here. I have lived in Japan, Romania, Germany, and spent half of this year in New York, and I had never a problem like those you have here. Things like those that happen to you remind me that Barcelona is not a cosmopolitan place, that's why I want to leave the city.

WELL PUT. I cannot agree more. THANK YOU! I really do appreciate someone seeing things to clearly and understanding other people's burdens. I live in Barcelona now and I AM moving in 2 weeks.

Hi Ed, when i am reading your blog, i feel upset as i put myself in your shoes. I am a filipina and happened to have a catalan husband so I moved here..but what i don't like is when most of the people here  think that I'm "chinita." I agree with one comment above the people that are thieves here are the gypsies and the ones from south america. But, entering the club issue, was absurd!

To cphaam: I can relate to your story. Specially the LV bag, LOL, what i noticed is that a lot of spanish here don't even know those real branded bags and a lot of them buying fakes from the street. Also some people that i know are criticizing me why i had to buy worth 1,000euro piece of bag, i was just laughing to them, they are ignorant and weird people. Many instances they criticised me as well if why i don't speak good spanish, and i insulted them back like "well, do u speak English?" Don't let these people disrespect u.

Hello!

I am an English speaking South African of Indian ancestry. I regularly visit Europe on business and recently stopped over in Barcelona to visit my South Africa friends living there. My experience as a tourist was not pleasant at all. I was called names by strangers in public, and this felt a bit like life during the height of apartheid. I was incredibly shocked to find that Barcelona is racially backward, and what was meant to be a lovely holiday with friends turned out to be incredibly painful.

During my visit I had many conversations with people from Barcelona about their perceptions of other cultures, and also spoke about perceptions of life in South Africa. Most people I spoke to exhibited conservative viewpoints towards other cultures, and were misinformed about life in Africa in general. The weird thing is that they considered themselves to be superior.

Since returning from my trip I appreciate my home even more.
There is so much hate in this world it makes me so sad.

Hi guys!

I am a Spanish girl and have an Indian boyfriend. We have been mainly in South of Spain and Madrid, and I can say, according to our personal experience that my boyfriend did not experience any of this racism.

I am very sad that you guys experienced this, though I have to say that racism is everywhere. I myself suffered when I was staying in UK, as they consider South Europeans to be of an inferior level than them.

Mainly, the racists are very ignorant people that never traveled to other countries, and this you can find it everywhere.

Even in India there is racism against white people. When I tried renting an apartment in Bombay, some societes absolutely did not allow the owner to rent a flat to a Europea girl because they think we go there for doing prostitution or sell drugs.

Also, many people stare at white people in India as if we were aliens...

Guys, there are advantages and disadvantages of living in a country that is not yours, and of course, there are illiterate and ignorant people everywhere.

Try to get friends from Spain that are well traveled and have open mind, I am sure there are.

Anyways, I am really sorry to hear that you all have experienced racism in my country and hope you all can find nice and friendly Spanish people. I can assure you there are!!!!! :)

Cheers!!
Libertad

WOW, so sad to hear that. It's totally revolting and it shows nothing but a lack of education and respect for others. I agree you should complain to SOS Racismo. Also, they have to have complain forms available for the customers in every local, club, etc so don't hesitate and ask for one.

Take care,
Txell

This post began in 2010 and yet today, is still being added to. It's nice to see that people aren't trying to avoid the subject of racism. As well, people of many nationalities / "races" / ethnicities have contributed. To me this continues to confirm that "racism" really does effect everyone.
Personally, coming from a multi-ethnic background I've always understood this.
I'd like to share an anecdote about a countryman I met here in Barcelona.
- When I lived in Sants, I kept hearing someone in the building speak english...with an accent similar to mine. Knowing I couldn't be the only "yankee" in Sants, I was still thrilled of the possibility of another one being in my building. This went on for about three weeks until I finally saw the person in passing. I said "hello" and he replied "hola"... I thought perhaps I had made a mistake. Until, One day, the timing was perfect and I found myself riding in the elevator with him. I said, "hi, how are you?" He looked at me a little puzzled. Yes, I knew what was going to happen. lol He replied with a dry, "fine." I proceeded to ask him where he was from and he turns to me, and speaking in his best TEFL teacher language, begins to actually explain, "the geographical location of his state within the u.s. and that it was called the ""mid-west"", blah blah blah..." lol  I just looked at him, as if he were an idiot, (because he was), and said, "you DO realize that I'm from the u.s. as well, don't you?" He looked at me in disbelief... and then confusion.

I've come across north-americans like him many times before in europe. They are prejudice against "ethnic-people" from their own country, (for whatever reason), and they don't really expect to or want to see "them" in europe. People-of-color from other countries? Sure, that's ok, but NOT their own. LOL
Having been to the mid-west of the u.s. many times, there are "white" people, who have never actually met a person-of-color, as strange as it may sound. This in no way means that they are "small minded"... Please remember that the u.s. is very big and there is a lot of isolation in certain parts.

The way I see it, Spain's version of prejudice, is no different than any other country's.

I stumbled upon this blog because I had gotten into a argument with my sibling about her recent trip to Spain.  I understand people's experiences with racism there.  I had felt it too.  It upsets me when others, like my sister, try to negate what happened to me as if it was in my mind.

I love other cultures and traveling.  The farthest thing from my mind was to have such a horrible experience visiting certain Spanish cities.  I had a few Spanish friends and cousins who had married Spaniards, so I thought I would receive the same warm treatment across the different regions. 

My experience happened about 12 years ago.  I was an American studying in Brussels for a couple years.  On summer break I decided to do solo back pack tour of Spain and Italy.  I (a black female, sporting a short afro) took a bus ride to the northern Basque region to Bilbao.  From the distance it looked like a beautiful city, the new Guggenheim museum glistening in the distance--yet as soon as I walked off that bus, it went downhill from there.  I went into a diner and asked in Spanish for directions to my hotel.  I was ignored by everyone in the diner.  Instead of a acknowledgment, I got unpleasant stares.  I was sure I said it the right way in Spanish.  All of a sudden, the waiter turned around yelled at me to get out, saying he's sick of seeing people "like me" come in here.  With dropped jaw, I slowly walked out, sat on a stoop and cried.  But I was so shocked because this was how I was greeted in a new place, and I was alone and lost!  A kind German girl saw me crying and told me to ignore them.  She helped me find my way to the hotel safely.  Similar type incidents continued like this in the north, including Barcelona--I kept moving farther down south hoping that the experiences would improve.  It did somewhat once I reached Seville and crossed over into Italy.  It clicked later that I must have been considered an immigrant.   

My argument with my sister stemmed from her not believing what I went through.  She didn't consider "stares" as racism, but it was so much more than that.  And because I had an afro, perhaps looking too "ethnic" she thought, traveling alone as a woman, or having gone there so many years ago made any difference.  It didn't justify what happened.  I have to say that history, recent immigration issues, and xenophobia, are making this a human rights issue.  We need to keep watch and keep track of every serious incident that happens, because when "stares" or insults become beatings you have to make a country accountable.  We can't continue to live in fear and be isolated.  It taints the wonderful experience of traveling and learning about other cultures.

Racist attitudes are quite common in Barcelona and being a Pakistani here ... my o my ... But as put by many others in this post, Racism has its roots in IGNORANCE! And you will find it in every country ... I guess sometimes in your own country too :) ...
So don't let these losers ruin your day or trip or put you down!

Hi there,
Two years ago I wrote this message and as blacktsalagi said I am happy to see people are interested in the subject.
I can say that definitively this is a matter that continues irritating me, although it is different now, I guess after living the situation many times I just do not care much about it anymore. I am definitively not saying is the right thing to do, I am still as unhappy as before, what happen is that now I know the places that are friendly to foreigners, so I just got comfortable with that. I continue going to some places and speaking to them in English and try to dress better than locals whenever I go out. I also have my group(s) of international friends that include one or two locals, we would like to have more of them among us, but ...   

I wish for Spain to be a more friendly place to foreigner not only because I live in here, but also because Tourists bring an important income to this country and we all benefit from that.

If there is Spanish people reading this, please guys make the best you can to make this country a place everybody wants to visit, not only because it is beautiful, but also because being friendly will add an incredible value to Spain and a good ambience for everybody.

peace,
Ed

Yeah, that's bad, i'd refer it to the consulate...

What an eye opener . i am Single Chinese female from Singapore and i live in Sarria . I was told its a neighborhood where the older generation and perhaps more affluent people live .  I too felt something was amiss when interacting with the locals. Now i see it is a form of racism. 
I am sorry to hear of your plight. Some of the replies are very good. Am happy to stumble on this page.

Wow, im shocked by these stories, I lived here for 8 months now, and never experienced any racism. Im scandinavian, and scandinavian looking, so i guess I wouldent really be the target of racism. I noticed people looking strangely at me once in a while, but i never really considered it to be racism.. might be that it was, but i just took it as a interrest in why a blonde blue eyed guy is with a bunch of catalans. I also had no problems meeting spanish or catalan people, they allways tend to be interrested in where im from and such.

Im really sorry people experience these kind of things, but is it possible that some of things people experience is due to general rudeness, and not a racism thing? People from Barcelona are not exactly known to be the most polite people in the world.

I had 1 guy th yelling at me one day, that turists destroyed the Economy in Barcelona, Had 2 Catalan friends with me at that time though, that explained to the guy how 64% of Barcelonas economy comes from tourist (+ x% from expats). He had no answer after that.

Ohh also, There is loads of bars in Barcelona where foreigners really feel comfortable, infact. If anyone is up for going out for a beer or 2, let me know.

I LOVE SPAIN BUT WITHOUT SPANISH PEOPLE.
FOR ME WAS THE SAME, THEY THINK U WANT TO ROB, BUY ACTUALLY U HAVE MORE MONEY THAN THEM.

@ricardopadro- you should avoid caps lock on the forum Thank you.

ricardopadro >>

And how does that make you any better then them?

1. You think your better then them(Quote: "ACTUALLY U HAVE MORE MONEY THAN THEM")

2. Quote: I LOVE SPAIN BUT WITHOUT SPANISH PEOPLE.

How is Spain without spanish people, any better then Spain without morrocans, Danes, Americans or Eskimoes for that matter.

You sir, is a racist.

dont judge people by where they are from, Wether that is Spain, Europe, Africa, Asia or America.