How I currently feel living in Barcelona

Well, it has been 4 years now living in BCN and I have to say that in those years I have found that people here can be rude, the service is awful, restaurants need health inspectors to check out their establishments, (food poisoning 3 times) - food handling is "sickening" from what I have seen I am quite disgusted.

A waiter picked at a food that he was taking to a table with his fingers, a man grabbed bags of rubbish to throw outside and then served a person with his bear hands making a "shawarma"

The police not helpful and please people be careful they are not to be trusted. A friend on vacation was arrested. Drugs. He was carrying his heart tablet and other medication. Apparently we were at a restaurant and someone called the police, probably somebody saw him taking his medication. None of the police spoke English - what a NIGHT!

Barcelona is not as friendly as people make it out to be - this my personal opinion and it is sad for me to say this but there is so much they need to learn. The life style is excellent but try to communicate with them? It is not so easy. And to top it off, when he returned to his room, his door was opened and a few items were missing; video camera, camera, money and a few other things.

Don't have anything good to say at the moment regarding the people here. Other areas in Spain are much friendlier and helpful. Been to Madrid, North of Spain and the South, the people are wonderful.

Sorry for the whining but having lived in other countries/ cities, Barcelona is one of the nicest(geographical) but the worst when it comes to people.

Hi Paganos!

Thanks for this sharing.

Harmonie.:)

It's strange how people have different experiences of a city, I have lived in Barcelona for just over a year now and I have almost exactly opposite thoughts about it.

Having lived in a lot of different places, in eight different countries, and also in the south of Spain, I think that Barcelona is without any shadow of a doubt one of my favourite place to live.

I have found people (outside of the most touristy streets) to be really friendly.

I eat out at least three times a week, normally in cheap local places and I have never had food poisoning here, I think you have just been really unlucky there.

I actually like the lack of regulations and controls on places serving food here, not because I want food to be prepared in an unhealthy way, but because it allows places to exist and offer different food experiences than you might get otherwise.
The sheer lack of size of some kitchens here would mean that it would be virtually impossible for them to exist in a lot of other European countries, because it would be impossible for them to seperate things into 'areas' as they would need to be.

I live in Barcelona since 1996, and I tried many kinds of restaurants in Barcelona, what Paganos says is true in the majority of the so-called touristic restaurants in Barcelona.

There is a real lack of health control on restaurants and it is really dangerous in a hot city like Barcelona.
Owners of restaurants look for cheap waiters and cooks and I've seen repulsive waiters and even a cook with an Okupa aspect (a rastaman cook, with his beard and long artificial hair ropes), I've seen these scenes in Barceloneta and Port Nou, very touristic areas of Barcelona.
To eat well and hygienic, you have to go to selected restaurants but the big disadvantage is the salty bill.

As far as local people sociability is concerned, it is difficult to make general comments, but it is true that there is a tendency, catalan people in general are business-minded and prefer to spend their time doing something "productive"; establishing friendships is surely easier in the south of Spain than in Barcelona.

I guess that I have only been to one 'touristy' restaurant in the time that I have been here. They always have the worst food in both quality and value of any city.

You don't have to be overly selective to eat well, you just have to avoid tourist traps. You certainly don't have to pay a lot of money, you can get a very good quailty menu del dia for around 10 euros.

I agree you can't generalise about the social thing, but my personal experience of living for a year in Andalucia and living for a year in Barcelona, is that I have far more and better friends (both local and expat here than I did there).

Thanks for your comments. I have encountered some nice people but overall, I guess I have been a little unlucky. I have met many people in the 4 years
Anyway, I still think Catalunia is a magical place with wonderous buildings, fascinating monuments and breathtaking sceneries. I think I need to overlook the negatives side of how people live and think and just focus on my life an enjoy the place.

I have lived in Barcelona for almost 7 years now and I have mixed emotions about this city.

The climate is wonderful and the proximity to the beautiful beaches north of Barcelona makes it a great place to be.

There are always pros and cons to every city.

My pros are: great public transportation system
             free health care to anyone

post continued.

Pros for Barcelona: great night life
                    a work to live attitude rather than a live to work
                    attitude

I have chosen not to post any cons because it doesn't do anyone and good to think negatively about the city. Also, everyone has their own experience and take on things.

If anyone needs any assistance with relocation or just some good tips for living in Barcelona send me a private message and I will be more than happy to help you.

Hello,
I'm also quite surprised regarding Paganos coment. I've never lived in Barcelona, but I'm spending the most time I can for week ends or holidays there and I love this city and its poeple. I'm totaly aware that can't be compare to living there, but I've never seen before a cosmopolitan city where you can meet poeple so easily.

Actualy, I'm thinking of a way to spend more time there. I've my own company in Paris (event & PR agency specialized in entertainment - movies, video games, music, concerts, night clubs). So I'm trying to meet people from Barcelona for advices and experience share !