Starting a fast food restaurant by an Expat

Hello everybody!

I know there has been many posts about expats starting businesses in the Philippines but the answers were kind of unclear.. (maybe i missed out something  :) )

So here's what I need help in.. I've been living in the Philippines for 3 years and I already have a working visa through the company i'm working with and I'm planning to open a small food stall or to-go restaurant with no seats in Manila (like the Halal Guys setup in Bonifacio High Street), that serves some kind of oriental dishes.

I am neither married nor looking for getting married to a Filipina in order to have 100% of the ownership (60 hers/40 mine).

What are the legal ways of establishing this business in my name?

Thank you!
Hiato

Hi Hiato,

Welcome on board  :)

I suggest you read the following article : Setting up a business in the Philippines specially about the Types of companies.

For further information, do not hesitate to contact a professional. There's a list in the business directory : Financial services in Manila

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you Bhavna!

I went through what you sent but couldn't find anything referring to owning a business by a foreigner.. Any idea is a sole partnership can be done by a none local?

Sorry Hiato, afaik there's no way for foreigners to setup business here as a sole proprietor with 100% ownership as the law gives priority to locals. Most of the foreign companies here operate as an ROHQ model. Take a look at some links, one expat shared his experience.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Promotion of external commercial links not allowed.
Reason : Promotion of own services not allowed on the forum.

Hi Hiato,

I can help you with that project, contact me on my private mail => ***, kindly put on the subject ' Manila starting a fast food restaurant by an Expat', looking forward to your mail, thanks

Best regards,

Thierry G.V

Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
kpucmnl wrote:

Sorry Hiato, afaik there's no way for foreigners to setup business here as a sole proprietor with 100% ownership as the law gives priority to locals. Most of the foreign companies here operate as an ROHQ model. Take a look at some links, one expat shared his experience.

This statement is technically incorrect. A foreigner can indeed own 100% of a business - but only if it is in  an Enterprise/Freeport Zone.

BE CAREFUL
Your work permit is not "generic". It is specific to your [current] job. It is NOT valid for working/running anything else than the reason for which it was granted - so a revised/new work permit will be required for any new venture.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads please + please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct