Places to live in Bogota

Hello

Could anyone tell me which are the best places to live in Bogota. My budget is up to 800.000 COP more or less.
I would like a place relatively near a park if possible.

Thanks
Susana

Hello Susanajorge

so as to get some rental proposals, I invite you to drop an advert in the Housing in Bogota section of the site.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Hola, Susana.  First, understand that I am retired and live in Isla de San Andres; however, I visit Bogota whenever I can, and I am just ending a 6-week stay here.  I am considering moving here - at least part-time - and have been exploring.  I have sort of attached myself to Av Carrera 7, and areas convenient to it, North and South.

I absolutely love Chapinero, both Alto and "normal" or "principal," more occidente; Teusaquillo, of course La Candelaria; for the latter, there are still reasons to be vigilant at night; the area has been greatly rehabilitated but there is still some street crime for the unprepared.  I have family and friends that are living in Centro, so even there, safety has improved greatly, but as a young woman, no matter where you live, you will have to become very "street-wise" to feel comfortable and safe as you learn this great city.

Further north, Chico and Santa Barbara are very nice and you can find affordable housing if you look closely.  Then, a little further north and west - nearer the Autopista Norte, are other more affordable areas...Santa Barbara extends in that direction, and there is Palomino and Alhambra.

I have stayed in these areas because they are closer and more convenient to the apartment of my suegra in the beautiful barrio of Rosales, where I am based when I visit Bogota.  Bus and taxi service is very convenient on La Septima, and there are many centros commerciales in the area:  Andino, Atlantis, Avenida Chile, etc., plus Carrulla's, Exito's, and many tiendas and almacenes.

One quick source for your research is on Facebook, a page called "Bogota Short Term Rentals."  There are many apartments for rent there, although based on the posts from readers, there seems to be a lot of interest.  Maybe other readers here will provide other sites for you to search.  It seems there are many options for sharing apartments; I'm sure that you can find something suitable, but you  just have to find the right person or small group to suit you.  Due to the size of Bogota and  safety concerns that go along with living in any large city, it might be good for your to live with, and learn from, other folks, especially women...I love Bogota; during my first visits, I didn't like the congestion, the traffic, the rain...but I have come to love this city.  You become accustomed to the changing weather, the traffic, even los trancones...they become part of life here.  Bogota has many opportunities for enjoyment:  Bars, restaurants, museums, music, and is very convenient to paseando en la savana for day-trips or weekends.

Good luck with your search, and the new life you are creating for your self.
Wally

Susana, I forgot...there is another forum that i have read - it's called ExpatExchange.  I know from there that many of their readers live in Bogota.

Although I have gotten some good information from that site, I don't read it often; it seems to be frequented by a number of cranky older men, who can sometimes be rather crude and insensitive; I particularly dislike some of the comments that I have read regarding women.

However, I do know that other women read the forum, and they might be source of information for you.  Also, there is a more sophisticated, "corporate" site called Internations with an active membership in Bogota.

Chau, W.

Hello Wally, thank you very much for your response and suggestions. It was very helpful. I'm moving to Bogota in about 2 week as a teacher.  I'm nervous and stressed out but very excited. Any advice is very welcome.

The Rosales district is very nice. It is also called the business/restaurant barrio as well. There is a fantastic walk up the nearby mountains which is open all week except Sundays. Very back to nature if you enjoy walking. It is also only 8 blocks from the large shopping mall called the Andino, which is very up market. Good luck with your search.

Where are you teaching? My guess is in the North. Then you will want to live close to work due to traffic. 15 miles could take at least an hour of time. And usually, the schools transport you. Anywhere north of Calle 130 I would suggest but it's not cheap. And I don't trust Any public transport but Uber.