Environmental protection in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Saudi Arabia?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Saudi Arabia.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

dude no offence to u and rest of admin, this topic sounds like my university thesis subject...sheesh.

Kenjee,

If this nation chose to gets it's stuff together. It could make millions if not billions from the reuse of simply it's own trash in making new products. Unfortunately, it doesn't value this world and primarily the next or so it would claim. With that said it will continue to do the same un-environmental activities it presently does and continue to litter the nation with the constant stream of plastic bags, plastic products and other array of trash that blows throughout the country because it really believes the only important thing is the after life. Somewhere between little to no hope for this country as regards environmental anything positive.

Who abuses the environment most? Any guesses?
The leading industrial nations of the world. A simple search would clarify this.

Some claim that in this country people care about the next life and not this, thats why they are 'irresponsible', but again another simple search would tell them that the truth is 'success in the next life depends on being responsible and good human beings in this life' not neglecting or contributing towards destruction of any sort.
Shanghai is one of the most polluted cities, so is Mexico City and Mumbai, so this is not a local thing, its a people thing globally.
In my opinion it is the responsibility of every individual to ensure our bit to help the environment.

There is a small percentage that recycle, but to find centers is few and far between. There are still more people throwing garbage in the street and the beaches are often littered with blue jellyfish (plastic bags).

Just an FYI there is an Ewaste plant being put together in Jeddah and I believe operational soon.

Great topic !
we have an initiative here by using a green ring on hand, so that not to use any disposables in that day.

Nope, There's barely any environmental protection here.

Im all for environmental awareness, the greener the better, animle rights and what not, but I think if ur trying to reach out to the youth of todays generation, your message should come off as trendy, something everyone's doing, social media the hell out of it so they can get off thier fashion blogs and how to loose weight in a day or get a six pack in under a min, has to be pitch very well from the get go to get more people involved, cuz right now to be honest, I hardly hear anything about environmental organization great achievements or developments.

Environmental awareness is the need of the hour. Saudi Arabia needs effective public transport system in cities.The government is taking into its plans the need to develop effective transportation systems.
Solar Power for saudi arabia could become the best alternative energy source.
Personal initiative is to avoid littering streets, car pooling and saving energy when not in use, opting fuel efficient cars!
Would expect aircrafts to fly on alternative/renewable sources of energy in the near future!
Cheers Folks!

go ahead! share with us !

Basically need the help of the government. And be aware on the Montreal protocol, and Kyoto protocol.which is highly apply in many countries. Avoid the releasing of refrigerants coming from air-condition unit. Which destroys our ozone layer that protect on us from direct sunlight. It also help the enviroment to grow perfectly and green.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Off-topic.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hi,
Saudi Arabia has been aware of environmental protection.
They have installed monitoring  equipment for environmental safety in highways and suburbs.
However, they have not aware yet of the possible danger of using plastic bags in all supermarkets kingdom-wide.  Since Riyadh is far from the sea, it has not experience yet the effect  of all kinds of plastics clogging drainage and water ways. However, in cities situated along or near the sea, i.e., Dammam, and Jeddah problems besetting the use of plastics are noticed.
Environmentalists should start reminding the government agencies concerning environmental protection to advise all stores, malls, and supermarkets to cease from using plastics in all their sales and marketing of their products like other develop countries where they used paper bags for their groceries and other items.
All schools should start educating the pupils and students about the hazardous effect of using plastic now. We have felt the hazardous effect of plastic everytime there's constant flashflood of the surrounding wadis around the Kingdom.

Dear Hi

In Saudi Arabia for environmental protection they have body PME and MEPA (Middle east environmental protection agency) regarding the Industrial Pollution they are very strict unless they made the industries follow the rules, plastic waste is collected by the Municipality trucks  3 times in 24 hours and all the waste is taken to a huge processing plant where metals,plastic,glass,cartons,sponge ,pepsi cans are separated for recycling and only the wast is sent for land fill so they have a control over their waste management including huge sever treatment plants.......the pollution due to fossil fuel will be brought under control when the metro trains will start running in major cities......they are turning for nuclear and solar power for energy ....that will reduce the use of heavy crude oil as fuel in power plants......presently they are all gas and oil fired ....cheer up they are doing as much they can do to reduce carbon emission .....

Dear Kenjee,
Thanks for sharing a very interesting topic and such a business school-like discussion post (suspect you are a professor?). I think Saudi Arabia has to make important initiatives to reduce fossil fuel dependency and increase investment on green energy as a world-leading energy industry nation. As pointed out by others, the country is highly potential for solar industry development due to the geographical and economic settings, and should act as a hub and a leader with the industry. I'm not sure about the recycling policy there but for example in Korea and Japan, every household should separate their wastes by the recycling materials by themselves. Also, it would be good if the government had a good rewarding policy with tax reduction or lower interest funding options for local manufacturers going green (e.g. manufacturing green products, manufacturing facility designed to make low emissions and less consumption of electricity, etc.). Encouraging to buy hybrid and electric cars can also be a good way.

Hayden

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Saudi Arabia?

Saudi is far behind. I see no initiatives visible to public accordingly. However, the common initiative I observed is the BIO DEGRADABLE PLASTIC BAGS from Panda Hypermarket.

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

Recently, CAR POOLING advice is being broadcasted on local radio stations as a way out from pollution, money and extra energy consumption.
Prior to that, Carbon (CO2) Capture project is also undergoing in ARAMCO.
However, still the country is far behind in green awareness.

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

Using RE-USABLE CLOTHE BAGS when shop grocery or at mall.
Tree planting campaign every spring.

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Saudi Arabia.

I have nothing to shed light on any local initiatives. But I am quite sure that somewhere Saudi youth is working on it.