Tips and advice to thrive in Oman

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Oman?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Oman?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

I cant say anything I am also very much new just a month old from India
Faisal

I have been in Oman for 3 years now. It's a beautiful country but I still cant completely adjust to living here which is why I keep traveling every few months. Therefore, I look forward to reading how others managed that.

I have been in Salalah for six months and have found the adjustment easy after living in Doha for a year. I am a nature lover so there is much to enjoy...the year round perfect weather, the beach, the clean air, sunset walks along with beach watching riders on their gorgeous Arabian horses, interesting birds including flamingos, lovely flowers and tropical fruit plantations, the beautiful drives in the country to nearby archaeological sites and scenic areas where there are turtles and dolphins. It is easy to buy reasonable qualify goods In local stores, I can walk many places I need to go so having a car is not always necessary. I like the people I work with, and regularly deal with many people from other Arab nations as well as Nepal and Bangldesh. My living accommodations are pleasant. Driving is hectic but not so bad in a small city, but the locals have a habit of having loud nightly street parties at the side of the road near my apartment till as late as 4 a.m., playing loud music, laughing and speaking loudly, beeping car horns. This lack of ambition and obvious unemployment disrupts my sleep and upsets me. Biting insects which give me itchy spots are one unpleasant reality. Lack of building standards and inefficient business operations (Bill paying procedures, limited internet service) are inconveniences that make life a little bit difficult. It depends on your lifestyle and what you consider necessary to be comfortable, but I am happy in Oman and hope to stay for another two years.

It's my nice experience to share with all those who opted to work and enjoy there life. I got an opportunity twice to join as a Senior Laparoscpic and Gastrointestinal Surgeon both in Premier Government institution Royal Hospital Muscat and Private Indian hospital Aster Alraffa Hospital Oman.
First time when I came in 2006, I found this place very primitive but progressive, having good control on law and order with sufficient respect for Expat Doctors. I came to know that this country love and respect those who follow rules and regulations and avoid unnecessary politics and reaction to citizens and government.
In spite of home away from home we can enjoy enough freedom of religion, lifestyle and social harmony.
Few things I will like to suggest all who want to come and stay for long -
1. Must keep an Medical  Insurance Policy covering both in Oman and UAE. Also don't stop or close own country medical insurance but continue that.
2. Very important to procure Driving licence but be very cautious to drive on Highways. Major medical problem here is Road traffic accident. As there is limited advance Trauma center and Blood bank, one should always try to inform there family and friends for blood products etc. So try to enroll in Facebook and whattsapp group for faster communication.
3. Being a Gastrointestinal Surgeon I am operating too many Gall stone, appendix and Piles, Bariatric or Obesity  and Hernia by Laparoscpic method here, one of the reason behind it is different life style mostly sedentary and high fatty meal. Please don't forget regular exercise and reach fiber and low fat diet.
There are so many tips and advices I can share.
Better you can communicate or join on my Facebook - xxx
Or email - xxx
I keep updating and helping to all our dear Expats.
Love Oman, it's friendly and safe country.
Dr Vipra Shree
Senior Laparoscpic and Gastrointestinal and General Surgeon
Aster Alraffa Hospital Oman

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi
good morning

asalaam o alekum

good  to share your experience  of Oman  with others  . It might be helpful for everyone particularly those new to Oman or planning to come to Oman in the coming days .

I have been in Oman for the last  about 23 years . Worked in Govt sector and now in private set up.

There are lot of things to share . It is not possible in one go .

1-The most important thing is  to follow the rules of law of the land  AT  any time and all the times.

2.Be respectful to others , they will  respect you .

3. For the information of Expatriates  to Oman

Based on the stories i heard from my clients in my every day dealing ,

many of them under some sort of stress .

Of course stress of  families back home  is the one  with many

There is a stress of job and working environment for most ,too.

Many of the unskilled and low paid workers   major complaints are related to exploitation of the  work agreement , particularly in private sector.
for example

-Working  for more than agreed working hours  without any extra payment

-delay in payment of salaries

- deduction from salaries without any valid reason  or prior notice

-Delay in allowing them to go on their due annual leave /due leave  or during emergency

- passports of many employees with sponsor  and delay in arrangement of emergency leave etc

-Many avoid to complain to labour dispute court /public prosecution courts  as they are scared not only to loose the job but also apprehensive the sponsor will refuse to give the NOC  for another job . so they bear all the grunts.

4. I have worked in many places in Oman . Most of the time peopl are very friendly and hospitable. They invite  many times   to their home  for a meal , and for Qahwa . They want to chat , they want to share , and respect as guest.
many of them are very sincere and clean hearted,

But some later use this type of friendly relation to get you some favour done for them and that which is legally or ethically or morally not to be done . so now i  am totally  avoiding any invitation of such kind  to visit or join any meal or Qahva etc .

5-

5- To relieve stress  i ll suggest  to be social with only few closed friends or family members . Participate in general social activities /gatherings . Visit beautiful places in Oman . There are many picnic spots /places  you can plan a trip  and enjoy during week  ends and holidays .

6- If you have still not entered Oman and planning to come for a job , Be very specific  to  set up the terms and conditions of your Job  with your Employer. Everything to put in black and white and make sure it is signed by the concerned  and authorized official  with all legal formalities (official stamps and dates , digits etc written clearly). Always insist to get one copy for your record.

Before accepting the terms and conditions , make a survey  on your own , through net , through your friends or known  person  to know the current prevailing package of the job you getting an offer .

Because for example if you are getting an offer  for 600 per month , it is quite possible that some one was given this post for 800 earlier who is on the way to exit now and may be next year you are on the same route as some one else will  possibly accept this offer for 500 or 400 .

7- The best advice is for everyone  use this opportunity to   grow and develop  in your profession / job , by doing your work sincerely to the best of your abilities , and by gaining more knowledge/skills . You  can avail the opportunity  to sit in various exams (you can  probably afford the exam fee easily), attending seminars/ courses ,part time studies etc.

8- The Public transport in muscat has started to receive a big welcome  from the common men particularly in Muscat , But still at various places  and parts of the Oman  A well organised, affordable public transport is  the need of the day especially to work place , and to airport etc .
taxis charge very high and over charged  from the expatriate especially the low paid , daily waged workers . Many a time these poor workers not able to communicate and bargain effectively due to language barrier , also not familiar of the routine rates and charges. For a new person the Taxi driver will have  different wage offer which is usually settled  mutually if you are familiar with the places and language and good bargaining skills , otherwise  you may have to suffer and bear  for the luxurious fare , because no taxi meter.

9-

9-In General Oman is safe, peaceful, law abiding country but there are cases of thefts  and vandalism (action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property) here and there . So one should keep/ take all safety measures   for himself and his belongings as not to give any one any chance of such an act. Most of the places are now covered by  CCTV /security camera and also almost all the finger prints record above 15   helps the culprit to identify . So keep yourself safe and your car and property safe to avoid any mishap.

Starting with (first things first) I stressed on acquainting myself with my job and people concerned ,in this realm I could filter some people who sound like a potential friends, with such a punch of people one could raise some points some questions/queries and learn from others' experience and recommendations which most probably ends in the first socialization event like a cup of coffee or a snack or a quick lunch  . In case one has some friends who are already in the country that will be another support definitely.

Time to feel at home comes smoothly after one has gotten the habit of exchanging visits ,picnics,dinners etc with a selected group of friends. i would prefer to add also that the cream of the froth comes if you get a driving license and a car

Is it an easy process yes if we  go for it and be patient,reminding that in Oman people are extremely friendly and you always intersect with other expats of same quest.

The key is socialization and dynamism

Hi

I have completed 2 years in Muscat and Have totally enjoyed here.

My only tip to is to respect the local laws and keep exploring new places .Muscat and nearby areas are so picturistic .

May be peace upon Oman and its people .

Amit