Going On Nine Months Without A Tenant.

Thank you, Fred, but I'm grateful to have any lead already in order to rent my house and I see that everything is done in proper manner as I am already in contact w Mr. Jason's staff. All is taken care, Mr. Fred, thank you for your concern nevertheless.

It won't mate ... Rentals have to come down I price especially in south Jakarta ....I have been here for 5 years now and the incline in expats has been huge ....Jakarta needs also to be more realistic with rental prices which is finally starting to happen

I lived in Jakarta between 2004 and 2011 and owned free standing homes as well as rented apartments in Jakarta Selatan (i.e. the permata hijau area and simprug).

The main problem you face is the oversupply of apartments that have come on-line between 2008-2016--which causes a complete oversupply housing for ex-pats. Also, the fact that most landlord's are asking for 12 months up-front, this makes renting a free standing home more risky. This is especially true as more apartment landlords are quietly accepting quarter-in advance payments.

My suggestion to you is to use the American model of renting property: ask for first, last and security (i.e. three months up-front) and allow your tenant to pay monthly. This would be really be a game-changer and be very attractive for an ex-pat tenant. Also, since ex-pat tenants are low credit risks you could probably get closer to your asking monthly rental.

Best of luck,

JL

That's an excellent advice since I also live in Milan, Italy... Their system is the same as per your suggestion.  I shall do that on my own now even though other friends and agents have proceeded with the one-year minimum payment, and even two-year payment that wasn't actually my request but I left it at that.

Thank you for your much appreciated input and collaboration.

The Expat community has dropped due to new laws which basically have nationalised most jobs. Any Expat over 55 who is not sa company Director and worked with the same company for 15 years is not allowed to work in Indonesia. I have been in Jakarta 10 years, my wife is Indonesian, we have a 7 year old son and this week after looking for work unsuccessfully for the past 10 months we are packing up and leaving Indonesia.
There are 200+ houses now vacant in South Jakarta and more every day as expats continue to leave due to not being able to work here.
It will get better when the government get someone who can actually govern.

That's so discouraging to know and so sorry that you and your family now are in the process of leaving the country.  Yes, from friends I know some of their houses are empty now especially those in Kemang.  Even an apartment in Pakubuwono was only recently occupied after a year of vacancy so for many to say because there are over-supply of apartments, that can't be true.
In this case, I might have to opt to put up the house for sale. 
I can't continue if the house stays vacant for another month.
Thanks for sharing this information as I now get some perspective on one if not it being the cause of the slow rental housing marketing nowadays.

We are in Kemang and the daily exodus of expats leaving continues at an alarming rate. It's sad to see as from my perspective it's a reflection of the Indonesian  economy and that it is failing.
It is the first time I have had Indonesians asking me for work as they have lost their Jobs as well.
When the government changed to rules on Mining and requiring the raw materials to be processed to add value to the Indonesian Economy was their biggest mistake as those who could not afford to build a processing plant which costs US$1.5 Billion were automatically stopped from any further mining or able to Export the product. The outcome mines shutting down or went bankrupt, contractors failing and thousands of people out of work. The repercussions is that people lose their job, houses are not rented and the economy dies placing Indonesians who own houses in very bad positions financially and Expats like myself struggling to stay here. We have exhausted all our money now trying to hang on and get work,  it's all gone so we have no option but to leave.
The government has caused a lot of pain personally and financially for family's as many have split up due to the financial impact and that is a very sad situation.
Good luck with your situation but you have to realise it will get worse not better here in Jakarta.

Thanks for sharing this very depressing news as it is the truth and I'd rather know that now than going on believing things are going to improve based on hearsay. 

What to do but to just have faith that all will turn out ok for all of us.

This is disheartening.