Essentials to live in Uganda

Hi,

As an expat living in Uganda, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Uganda? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Uganda.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi

Everything is obviously more expensive if you are coming from Asia, Europe or North America. You get almost everything in Uganda, so unless you have exotic tastes in food or decoration, OR you have some illness which needs continuous medication, you do not need to bring anything. Essential I would still list out as general purpose Medicines, some spices (the ones available are not so good as you might find out later) and clothes/shoes  in sufficient quantities.

Cheers

Morning, I would like to know from which country you are coming from.
if you are coming to Entebbe or Kampala you will be able to get almost all groceries and fresh produce in available from various supermarkets in Uganda. the beer is great and cheap, Nile Special is the top selling brand in Uganda. feel free to contact me when you are in Uganda, I will be happy to show you around.
thanks Duncan

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : For your security, please send your contact details through your private message system.

Travel light. Just If you wear only tailor made clothing please take as many as you need from your home country...everything else is available there.

Dear sr
Ian coming from Republican democratic of Congo

Hi all,

You can buy pretty much everything you want now in Kampala but quality may not be what you are used to, and the prices may be higher if they are imported products.

There is a big problem with 'fake' / replica products.

If you have a printer, for example, it is actually better to buy in Kampala because then you know you will find the cartridges et cetera you need.

As someone else suggests, bring medication if you have specific / uncommon needs. Health food supplements are quite difficult to come by.

These days it is easier to import things e.g. through international carriers, or visiting friends. I stopped using the post office about five years ago, but the service may have improved by now.

I've been living in Uganda as an expat seven years. You're very welcome to contact me via my blog Diary of a Muzungu | Uganda travel blog.