Best cities to live in Ghana

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to Ghana. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Ghana.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

If you want all the facilities and an expat lifestyle for you and your family then only Accra can really offer that at the moment. Takoradi is developing due to the oil and gold in the Western Region and is probably better for single people or married couple without children as it doesn't have the schools.
Kumasi is also developing the infra structure and has a better climate than Accra but it too doesn't have the recognised international schools although it would be OK for younger children.
Tamale is also growing but the climate is much harsher especially during Harmattan and just before the wet season. Again it would suit single people but more difficult for families

Hkann is spot on.  Accra is the only place at the moment offering the expat lifestyle.
I personally prefer Tamale due to so many reasons especially as there is an international airport coming up (if not completed already). But yes, the climate is more harsh especially during Harmattan.

If you like the beach as i do,  Accra, Cape Coast or Takoradi are your choices.  However if you are looking for western, then the capitol is for you.

I would prefer the quietude and peaceful nature at Cape Coast though I used to work in Accra, When I have closed from work for the weekend, I would normally relax in the the city till in the wee hours of the morning before I start my drive home to Cape Coast to relax.

There is no noise from the traffic, no blaring of car horns and no screeching tires. Just the serene beach and the wonderful music from the waves.

We just need to watch out on where we step whilst on the beach and that's all we need to know, if you know what I mean. Lol

Hello Expats in Accra

I am interested in exploring Accra as my destination for work in the near future.  At this stage I am evaluating my options and thought to ask your objectivity on some of my questions.

I am not intending to offend anyone as I would rather get answers from someone who is experiencing life "first hand" rather than a text book written 5 - 10 years ago.

My first question, is how safe is it for westerners living in Accra?  During the day or night..

Is there a disparaging conflict between the locals and western people?  A vibe you pick up in the air.. I am not referring to the vibrant  negotiating spirit in the marketplace when purchasing food.. :-)

Are there security companies that provide dedicated drivers and security when moving around especially during the evening?  I would like to feel safe when going out during the course of my stay..

What is the political climate in Accra?  I have heard that you cannot say anything poorly about the Government (albeit corrupt) without finding yourself at the Police station under question.  Is this true?

What is the prospect of starting up a business in Ghana?  I have heard the economy is doing poorly.. Or, are there opportunities for new markets..

What is the process for setting up a business in Ghana?  In terms of the demographics, is the middle class in Accra substantially relevant?

What level of corruption exists for western people?  I have heard that when a white person transacts they get the super expensive price for the service or product?  hmm

What is the crime rate against white women in Accra?  I have heard the crime of rape is a high rate in Africa - a 50% crime rate of all women.

That is all for now and hope to hear from you soon,

Warm regards

Cherry Ripe aka Stavi

You have heard a very negative account of life in Ghana for expats. If you really are interested I suggest you come for a visit and you will find out that Ghana is relatively safe. There definitely is an Obruni price but there is no pressure if you say no and move on.

Hi Khann

As I am contemplating my first trip to Africa I am feeling anxious.  If you can assist me with more detail that would be great.

Can I hire a driver for 4-6 hours per day?  Id there that type of service by a reputable company?

Kind regards

Stavi

Yes you can hire a driver.  I suggest you look on accraexpat.com or Ghana International Expats on Facebook for recommendations