Dubai Armani suit scam

I was in business trip in Dubai on 19 Jan 2016, was walking in Sheikh Zayed Rd. when this gut in a grey SUV approached and asked for directions to the airport, in Italian, since I am  speak some I told him the direction then start talking, .where you from ?.......I am Gianni Francesco ..and work with Armani cloths surplus expo, I m leaving to Italy and if you want I can give you some three suits that I do not want to bring back,. Since  I have a tailor doing suits for me with my specs y told him I got already to many suits,besides I do not buy ready made, he insisted that I have them for free  as a present then I buy him a pizza when passing in Napoli or Rome, I took the suits then he ask if not offend me if can give him some money for buying a gift for his wife....anyway, he was such a nice personality and talker that was convincing with business card and all, so I gave him around 650 Dirhams..more than anything  just to get rid of him...after that when I went back to the office I gave two suits to the clerk and the office boy respectively, they tried them  and the liked it  very much, the remaining one I give it to my favorite charity when I got back home  ( I do that when a tailor does not make my suit right and have to find a new tailor after that ) this charity is  a stray/abandon cat shelter and the money they make selling cloths, shoes, etc, they use it for the shelter, in all it is fine with me because I usually do lots of charity for various causes but when I found out that they are really fakes or/and a scam ( the business card wasn't right) although the suits have all the tags, serial numbers etc from Armani and seems to be a nice material too but, I would not wear them though, the cutting and design is not my cup of tea, it is amazing that the Dubai authorities do not do a clean up of these scammers that give a bad name to the city, lesson learned about scams although I have been always helping people in need in various situations whether they are scams or not but this one in Dubai never expected it in a city which has a quite good reputation

oh, sad to hear that:( it really is disappointing. these people would do anything for money.tsk tsk

Scammers can be found anywhere, specially where you will least expect them to be.

Did not face a Armani suit scam but faced a different kind of scam. And it took me 3 times to get that it was actually a scam.

I was at a gas station, the one near Batuta Mall on Sheikh Zayed road getting my car washed when a guy in a SUV approached me. Had a number plate of Ajman, told me he lost his wallet and he had a whole family with him in the car. He said they were returning from a long trip and did not have any money for fuel.

Seeing the family with them, I agreed to get their gas full and also paid for some snacks and drinks for the whole family.
Same story, different people happened around a few months back on Mohd Bin Zayed road near the Academic city exit. It didn't strike me then that I had a similar story earlier.

But the 3rd time happened, within days again near dragon mart. I denied them this time realizing this was a typical plot, with different people everytime.

I really like this city, I have been stuck in random situation a couple of times in Dubai but somebody or the other came to my rescue  (every time a complete stranger).
The spirit of this city is just amazing. I just try to pay back for those times. Although it was only 200-300 dirhams both the time. The feeling of being cheated was the worst.

ITALIAN SUIT SCAM IS BACK!!!
This incident happened to my fiance today, 14 April 2021.
This happened when he was about to left at the parking area of a commercial building in Business bay at 1:00PM, when an Italian looking guy with Italian accent, approached him, maybe on his 50's or 60's, wore a descent business attire. Since he is working as a coffee supplier (Italian origin) they just discussed about it since he claimed he is an Italian. Afterwards, he mentioned about the branded suits he is selling "EMPORIO ARMANI COLLEZIONE" and even handed his business card, he came by the name of Antonio (Manager). He keeps on insisting him to buy it for 1500 AED only Buy 1 Take 1 because he is about to go back to Italy for vacation and he wants it to be sold immediately.
He keeps on bugging my fiance to buy it and convinced him to pay whatever amount he has in his pocket. Good thing he only got 230 AED in cash, after getting the cash he quickly put the suit in the back of his car and left. He informed me and realized he was scammed after he checked the suit. The fabric is not as nice as other branded suits he owned before. So, I tried to send them an email as per his business card and the email bounced back to me. I also learned that this Italian suit scam has been here in Dubai since 2010 (as per some forums/groups I found on the internet)
I hope you can help me to disseminate this information to the public for the awareness. Thanks guys

thanks for raising awareness among people to be careful about this kind of scam

This Country maybe the number one Area for scammers... How many times have I not been scammed for job?

I agree with the job scammers. I receive alot of emails that say they picked up my cv from Naukrigulf and have a suitable position for me. I get so excited but never hear from them again send emails back but still no response.

Same guy scammed me today 17 may, 2022 @Jessie1993

@Nitin86
Wow!! I can't believe that I have fallen to this scammer. I saw this guy on June 24, 2022 at IBN Battuta mall he stopped and says that he likes my BMW and he is leaving a business meeting but lost his way to the airport. He proceed by saying that he rented a car and no money to pay excess mileage and he needed help and proceed by offering his impressive gifts and at the end I gave him 2400Aed....oh my God....He seems to be decent and for some reason I to a selfie with him, so I don't know if I can post it in the group.

ARMANI suit SCAM is still happening in 2022. I was approached by this italian sounding guy with 3 "Armani" suits on the back seats of his rental car, asking for the way to the airport, leaving after a fashion show and just needs a little money to buy a souvenir at the airport (Why not just use your friggin' credit card??) . He wanted to give me two suits for free and just maybe 1000 dirhams for the last one. Good i only had 300 with me, which i actually offered him, but apparently it was not enough for him so he left.

He gave me his business card. Didn't google it yet, but most likely fake.

Be aware!! If its too good to be true, its not true! :)

BTW: Name on the business card: Pasquale Gullo

This is donkey's years old so quite a classic now.

If you do fancy a fake suit, just beat them down to whatever you fancy paying.

See it this way, they have loads of them so selling one at a small profit is better than selling none at no profit.

Buyer's market

These Italian suits scammers must have been trained at the same school. I met such a guy on Sheikh Zayed road, he was looking for the way to the airport (when you are familiar with Dubai, asking the way to the airport on Sheikh Zayed is a joke, it's straight ahead and heavily signed) Same details including the wife gift . I din't have any cash on me and told the guy that I needed to go to an ATM. As he had given me his business card, I googled his name and came upon the italian scam heavily documented. I showed him my phone screen and we laughed together, he was a very polite and friendly guy. I wished him good luck and told him that he would not wish to visit the Dubai jail as it is not really a holiday resort.

@gentiler

Today one of them tried to trick me aswell in Al Jafa. He was one of the smarter guys.

1. Asked me for advice to get to the airport. He has no internet data volume anymore.

2. Then he drove a few meters and stopped. He told me the same story and wanted to gift me with this fake Armani. He had invoices and said he was the designer but cannot take the examples home because of the tax.

3. He gave me a gift box with a hand bag and then he tried to get money out of me. His sons birthday is tomorrow and he needs some cash. I should pay at least for the handbag 1500€. At the end he was okay with 500€ but I told him directly in his face that he is a scammer and I went out.

He has arranged a lot of planned details and used tricks from sales, like hypnotic speech pattern (not very advanced), using my name, fake story (oh, I also have a dog), passport, fake business card (Vincenzo Schicchittano, yes with double t), Smartphone language in Italian. The best move was to drive a few meters away after I helped him out with a hotspot. That pattern interrupt was for trustbuilding.

Yesterday this guy did almost the same with me,asked for directions to the airport,and want gift me some Fake Armani suits and I said I don't need any gift and he drives away! It was on an gas station on the Sheik's road . He is still in Dubai with a White Nissan kicks and Abu Dhabi license plate .

It happened to to me yesterday under the canal bridge, Business Bay side.....same story, used the name Massimo Rebecchi....2 Armani suits, a Versace watch and a versace purse..... embarrassed and honored to say I fell for it by this legend.

@gentiler this guys is already on the way again , yesterday same story he stop on the side and ask me about the airport - he is now ( fashion designer :) )

he stop next to me in media city , same story like yours , airport bla bla nla , he ask me about where i came from,  bla bla bla...then he ask me i can get some suit from him orginal armani of course he show me some list what he had already in his hand ....2000 dollars ...lol ...what the heck , who believe in thsi kind of scams is already hopeless ...so , be careful , he drive a tinny cheap car , white with a darker roof  ..

even the business card is so cheap ouch :) so guys careful about  fashon designer from milano italia  thats the number of his buisness card , so , stay far from people what ask you about airport and already take a paper kist in his hands if he ask you about anything .....