When you seperate from your girlfriend in Philippines.

You sound like a good man Mixknight, and even though I dont believe in God I know that if you do the right things in your life no matter what, good things will come to you when you least expect it.

The problem is that we always have "a weak moment" at times and these moments are what we dont need because they cause us to go off track... but that is life I suppose.

Guess we have all been in the same boat at times, but keep on paddling.....

Salamat my friend

Your on to it Dave and so damn right it's not funny!
I'm still in oz and now married to a Filipina and I want to move there cause I'm sick of being ripped off here in oz by everyone from the tax dept to the taxi drivers!
You have made some extremely valid points in your posts and I am already aware of what is needed to be done as far as protection of assets, however there are so many guys out there that do think through the wrong head! When the fire is out they will get burnt.
On a different note, what is Dumaguete like?
Send me a private message cause I would like to chat with you.
Cheers

You should only buy land only if you get married to a pinay/oy.Must be 100% sure of your lifetime partners,absolutely not good idea to do it with a girlfriend,it's like giving out your money for free,use common sense.

This topic interests me, since I am married to a Filipina and living in the Philippines. I have been writing about the topic of interpersonal relations between Filipinas and foreigners for awhile. I have met no foreigner who has a wife or girlfriend who has a college degree and has had a good job, or one who owns a house or attempting to build one. Most of the wifes and girl friends have children, never married, no financial support from the Filipino father.

The ex-pats I have met from Baguio to Davao, have mostly been retired men living on a pension. Some of the men were in good physical shape, others sickly. The men who seem to be the happiest are not married. They seem to understand the exact power of money and how to use it to get people to do what you want them to. In many cases that is simply taking good care of them.  Those who marry encounter normal problems in a multi-cultural relationship, but also an extra burden that seems more common than not in the Philippines.

In the Philippines, a somewhat unique philosophy of of what a foreigner is for has developed. Here, it is very common that a foreigner is considered 'family' source of income. People who have taken care of themselves, their families and children all of their lives, suddenly almost demand to be taken care of by the foreigner. There seems to be little self respect, honor or pride when family members start not just asking, but demanding for money for an infinite variety of reasons. 

So it seems to me, that the majority of the foreigner/Filipina relationships are not at all based on any form of love. but more a business arrangement. When the families of my friends began to be too demanding for money, most friends complained. In all the cases I know of, the Filipina wife sided with her family against her "husband."

I have heard a lot of generalization about Filipina behavior. BUT, here at expat.com, I have also read some quite blatant generalizations about foreigners too. The most egregious one involved a lady who bunched all foreigners into a group a guys being, old, fat, sicky, etc, and why would any man expect a woman, (of course..young woman) to really love a man like that! Especially when the 'young' Filipina would have the regretful task to care for this old, sicky foreigner until he dies.

What I have come to realize is that nearly every single idea Filipinos have about foreigners is a GENERALIZATION. When most Filipinos see a foreigner, they really do not see the man, they see what they have been taught to see all of their lives.

One last thing. Recently a tricycle driver asked me where I was from. I said the U.S. He said he wanted his daughter to marry an American. I asked him how old his daughter was. He said, "8".

dondee31 wrote:

This topic interests me, since I am married to a Filipina and living in the Philippines. I have been writing about the topic of interpersonal relations between Filipinas and foreigners for awhile. I have met no foreigner who has a wife or girlfriend who has a college degree and has had a good job, or one who owns a house or attempting to build one. Most of the wifes and girl friends have children, never married, no financial support from the Filipino father.

The ex-pats I have met from Baguio to Davao, have mostly been retired men living on a pension. Some of the men were in good physical shape, others sickly. The men who seem to be the happiest are not married. They seem to understand the exact power of money and how to use it to get people to do what you want them to. In many cases that is simply taking good care of them.  Those who marry encounter normal problems in a multi-cultural relationship, but also an extra burden that seems more common than not in the Philippines.

In the Philippines, a somewhat unique philosophy of of what a foreigner is for has developed. Here, it is very common that a foreigner is considered 'family' source of income. People who have taken care of themselves, their families and children all of their lives, suddenly almost demand to be taken care of by the foreigner. There seems to be little self respect, honor or pride when family members start not just asking, but demanding for money for an infinite variety of reasons. 

So it seems to me, that the majority of the foreigner/Filipina relationships are not at all based on any form of love. but more a business arrangement. When the families of my friends began to be too demanding for money, most friends complained. In all the cases I know of, the Filipina wife sided with her family against her "husband."

I have heard a lot of generalization about Filipina behavior. BUT, here at expat.com, I have also read some quite blatant generalizations about foreigners too. The most egregious one involved a lady who bunched all foreigners into a group a guys being, old, fat, sicky, etc, and why would any man expect a woman, (of course..young woman) to really love a man like that! Especially when the 'young' Filipina would have the regretful task to care for this old, sicky foreigner until he dies.

What I have come to realize is that nearly every single idea Filipinos have about foreigners is a GENERALIZATION. When most Filipinos see a foreigner, they really do not see the man, they see what they have been taught to see all of their lives.

One last thing. Recently a tricycle driver asked me where I was from. I said the U.S. He said he wanted his daughter to marry an American. I asked him how old his daughter was. He said, "8".

:top:

Hi USAmecheal,
       I am very sorry for what had happened to you with your ex wife filipina i had read your comment and it makes me feel bad. I am also Filipina and i donnot tolerate some of  my kabayan attitude when they met foriegner they do looking at the pocket that was always they say but not at all there still Filipina have a good heart and you just found one not good in you. I am married to Algerian i met in Dubai and we are in the same sitaution in life working in sales he never had properties nor lots of money we just spend our salary we recieving every end of the month and we heve baby 3 years old now and my family never expect anything from us. Worldwide there are things that are not good there are things that make you happy thats all I can say. im just trying to share my story with you. i hope you it will change the way you look about Filipina. God bless you

Let's be honest the same thing happens in America everyday so don't blame the women of the country when men lose property everyday to American women. Can't feel sorry for yourself your a grown man move on let it go, men need to do homework before getting in these situations. No need to blame the government or the women of the country. I don't  live there and I know about this because It's very important. This is  we will be renting even after being married 5 years.

supercad55 wrote:

Let's be honest the same thing happens in America everyday so don't blame the women of the country when men lose property everyday to American women. Can't feel sorry for yourself your a grown man move on let it go, men need to do homework before getting in these situations. No need to blame the government or the women of the country. I don't  live there and I know about this because It's very important. This is  we will be renting even after being married 5 years.

American women take 100% of the  property you have?  That's bad...

If you do your research you would know how business is done in other countries. Don't complain your grown you made the decision now deal with the consequences cant blame the govt. Women in the states take homes cars that men kill over and go broke over so yes the same thing happens

supercad55 wrote:

If you do your research you would know how business is done in other countries. Don't complain your grown you made the decision now deal with the consequences cant blame the govt. Women in the states take homes cars that men kill over and go broke over so yes the same thing happens

In Australia the girlfriend only normally gets about half the house, if anything, but in the Philippines they normally get to keep it all, as it's in their name.  I didn't realise it was the same in the US.

In the USA, each state has some say on joint property from a Marriage.  That means that unlike the PI, there is no such thing as the woman gets it all.  It will be governed by the laws of the individual state in which it occurs.

I Can't say 100% about all 50 states but in California, the divorce proceedings include topics of spousal support, child custody, child support, distribution of property and division of debt. 

Most of the time property that is acquired during the marriage is usually considered marital property regardless of which spouse owns the property or how the property was acquired during the marriage.

Any foreigner can buy house & land and obtain 100% ownership/legal title in the USA. Very different than the PI.

Example: 
"Manny Pacquiao had to get creative to buy his new mansion in Beverly Hills.
In addition to paying $12.5 million for the 10,000 square-foot sprawl, Pacquiao also gave the seller four tickets to his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr., according to Martin Rogers of USA Today."

Ending a marriage is very different to just breaking up with a girlfriend.

Breaking up with a girlfriend in the Philippines, she gets the house.
Breaking up with a girlfriend in most other countries is very different, and often she may get nothing. Length of relationship can be a deciding factor on that.

Breaking up with a wife in the Philippines, she gets the house.
Breaking up with a wife in most other countries is still different, but she will normally get a percentage of the house.  The rate depends on many factors and especially children.

In Australia, a 25 year marriage and 1 child, and the partner with the child would often get 60%.
In the Philippines the Filipino normally gets 100%, no questions.

I disagree with you.

Mhahal wrote:

I disagree with you.

I disagree with people too.  Who do you disagree with and why ?

I agree with ABC. This whole land and property thing is just part of the overall rip-off foreigners doctrine the Philippines has. Filipinos, unlike nearly every other country, demands to keep control of everything; ie, land, business, politics. I have said this before and will say it right to your face, there is nothing a foreigner has in the Philippines that a Filipino can not take away.

that"s not true look for the code of ethics in the Philippines .

dondee31 wrote:

I agree with ABC. This whole land and property thing is just part of the overall rip-off foreigners doctrine the Philippines has. Filipinos, unlike nearly every other country, demands to keep control of everything; ie, land, business, politics. I have said this before and will say it right to your face, there is nothing a foreigner has in the Philippines that a Filipino can not take away.

Well that's pretty bad to hear from you..
well i think its depends if you meet a filipina with a genuine heart not the one with a poker face.

I'm a filipina unfortunately money is not my priority or interest.  and I disagree with you Mr.
I'm a Filipina.and my partner is also a foreigner but I never asked  anything from him and i didn't have the desire of marrying him for what He got. I will marry him because of Him as a Man with respect..I'm not like those ladies who asked for An iPhone 6 hahhahah  because that's not  my attitude at all and If I did its just like a huge slap on my parents face.  I Grew up in the province. we didn't have much money.our parent didn't taught us to beg or to still from another. All of us have a job already but we never heard that our parents ask for money so they can set in the house. and use as a their pension thing.They Don't instead their still working for them to have  food in the table.

if you like to have  women with a big heart be who you are and don't used what you've got in your pocket.   because you only attract those people who's interested to your money.or try to socialized with a different people in the society . until you find the right one. Genuine people didn't accept gift . its enough for them to see you smiling.

I disagree to those  tried to quote that every Filipina has a poker face lol

Mhahal wrote:

I disagree to those  tried to quote that every Filipina has a poker face lol

This is more to do with the Philippine law.

The Philippine law states that a Foreigner normally cannot buy land.

Therefore if a couple break up, and land was purchased, it is in the Filipinos name.

If they break up in a friendly way, the Filipino does have the option to sell the land, and give the foreigner their money back.
BUT, the Philippine law says they don't have to do that, and if the break up is not friendly, whether in the Philippines or any other county, each party will do what they can to get whatever they can.
In most countries the split is often near even, even in bad breakups, but in the Philippines, it is 100% to the Filipino.

The problem in reality is that many expats have experienced problems at times with partners taking advantage.
This is often purely down to the type of Filipino that finds an expat partner.
Many, but not all, think the expat is rich, and they do end up taking advantage more often than not.
Not all of them do, but some Expats have the bad luck to find this is the majority.

Yes I agree with you and I dont have the choice cause I can't avoid it lol but just want to express my thoughts towards the topic.
about the property thing
I will ask my dad about the code of ethics in the Philippines because the last time we chatted he told me that Foreigners have the right to own in the Philippines .

I am sorry, with no disrespect to your dad, but according to Filipino law no real property may be owned by an  individual other than a natural Filipino citizen. That excludes gaining citizenship by applying for it.

Mhahal wrote:

I will ask my dad about the code of ethics in the Philippines because the last time we chatted he told me that Foreigners have the right to own in the Philippines .

A foreigner can own a condo in a block that is at least 60% owned by Filipinos.

Your constitution states that we can't buy land.

Everywhere is different sometimes you win sometimes you lose but you knew what you were getting yourself into when you bought the property in the first place. Sometimes you get half 25% or 100 but you need to do your research in each state and country. Stop making excuses and blaming the country you moved to it's They're country they make the rules adapt and stop whining.

Very well said, any rational human being should have known the rules prior to laying out the money. Like you said it is their country, their rules, all expats have options, one is to stay and live by the rules two is to go home and of course, three is to scream and cry it is unfair, but if you read number one it nullifies number three.

Thanks, I'm trying to learn everything I can before we make our decision. This site is great for me the positive and the negative comments help me with looking things up. I want to be sure my wife and kids are enjoying the country and doing things we want to do along with knowing the laws of the land.

I'm sorry about it but regarding to my future father- in-law IS ALSO married to a filipina  He said that 40 percent will go under his name and 40  percent to his wife and ten percent to a jan doe and its silly. but the thing is that i don't give a #$#%$ with the rules here in our own country because the law they created were crap and non sense

supercad55 wrote:

Thanks, I'm trying to learn everything I can before we make our decision. This site is great for me the positive and the negative comments help me with looking things up. I want to be sure my wife and kids are enjoying the country and doing things we want to do along with knowing the laws of the land.

That's the important bit.  Read all the negatives so people do know the reality.

Some people don't want others saying the negatives, but they need to be emphasised, otherwise no one will know.

If the negatives are hidden, people will arrive and get caught.

You can not own land, only the land.  You can own all structures on the land by having 2 tax declarations prepared.  One in her name for the land and a second tax declaration for the structures in your name.  You are also allowed to hold a mortgage  against any land.  Place a mortgage on the land in her name payable to you in an amount 500% over the value, Payments to commence 30 days after separation, or converted to a lease upon separation.  Find a good lawyer to prepare the documents.  Go alone to the law office and do not allow her to make contact with your attorney.  Filipinos take care of Filipinos.
Google Family codes of the Philippines and read the Family Codes. 

The laws here are not as terrible as you believe.  We do not know their laws and they take advantage of our ignorance.

http://yourhomeinthephilippines.com/phi … foreigners

You can not own land in the Philippines.  ONLY LAND.  You can own all structures on the land by preparing a second tax declaration in your name only for all buildings.  You can also place a mortgage on the land you put in her name payable to you.   Please read, "Family Codes of the Philippines".

My understanding is that foreigners can now buy condos here, but they only own the structure and not the land that it is built on.

You have always been allowed to purchase a condo.  There is no land with a condo.  The condo association retains title to the land.  Please do not put the condo in your Filipinas name/or co own it with her.  Use a will to convey property to her at your death.  If you break up, change your will.
If you wish to purchase a house/row house and lot, there is land involved and you will need a Filipina to hold title to the LAND ONLY.  You will get a second tax declaration/title to the building. 
A good website that I use is , "property24.com.ph".
Metrobank and PNB, (Philippines National Bank),  have some foreclosed condos and other assets for sale.

Good luck

The 60/40 rule only apply to a corporation.  When you are married it is 50/50.
Please ask you Father-in -Law, to read the,  "Family codes of the Philippines".
You can Google it,
The laws are not as terrible as they appear.

Just saw a reminder to all regarding the "Foreigner can buy a condo" belief.  Since not all Condos or Town houses are on a CCT, those that are with a TCT can not be legally purchased/owned by the foreigner.  Some may ask why is the purchase of a condo/townhouse under a TCT, illegal for a foreigner? 

TCT = Transfer Certificate of Title - With a TCT someone OWNS a portion of the property the condo sits on. 

Note: The moment a foreigner "Attempts" to purchase or own land, any related new deeds are illegal and voidable.  However, the new TCT can be cured with a transfer of said property into a Filipino's name. 

CCT = Condominium Certificate of Title - With a CCT, The property is typically under a corporation and held to 40% max foreign structure ownership. In some cases a property lease is included in the package but seldom fully understood by or explained to the expat.  However, if the developer is not properly registered and maintains the 40% max foreign ownership ratio, the expat that causes the total ownership to be more than 40% can not legally take title, even if a CCT.

Expats should avoid any condos that are on a TCT, are in a pre-sale status, are void of an occupancy permit, and the developer is unable to transfer ownership upon full payment.

The Deed of Absolute Sale is key to contract compliance here and must reflect the above conditions.

The court system here in the Philippines works, but it is slow and cumbersome.  Resolutions can be obtained in the courts on most issues. 
The problem with most foreigners here in the Philippines is they get frustrated and give up.  Go to court.  There is Small Claims Court, RTC, and Appeals Court.  Legal costs here are low compared to the USA. 
I have used Small Claims Court to obtain a judgment and I am now in litigation, in RTC, to have my Foreign Divorce Recognized.
When You have a problem, GO TO COURT.  You have more rights than Filipinos lead you to believe.

Put a, "WEASEL CLAUSE", or a, "SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE CLAUSE",  in any Deed of Absolute Sale before signing.   

Expats who want to permanently remain in the Philippines should consider acquiring a, SRRV.

http://real-estate-guide.philsite.net/foreigners.htmhttps://famli.blogspot.com/

@USAMichael

Im sorry but I disagree with you. I am a Filipina and I have a foreign boyfriend too, we are living together for more than 3 years now.

He has an ex gf that is from the country side and their family is very poor as what my boyfriend told me but his ex gf was working in the city too as a service crew. He said that his ex loves to go out at night to go clubbing or in a bar and he also told me that his ex never finished school even primary level.

He bought a house and lot and a car under his ex girlfriend's name. After they broke up, his ex was trying to get the house and the car because it's in her name. But the title of the lot and car documents is in my boyfriends hand. He is using both house and the car but the ex gf keeps coming back.

You still can get your property back if you file a case against your ex but I tell you it's a very long process. If you're legally bind like you are married to her and have children or have a legal agreement then probably she can get 50% out of it but if you are not married to her with no children and no agreement about she can get something then you got a big chance that you can get your property back.

So what I can advise you about choosing a Filipina gf is that you should observe her family and friends.

1. If the family KEEP YOU ASKING about this and that (money or a thing) even if it is small that does not count as a good sign, it doesn't matter if she's from poverty or wealthy family, she will only be after you money
  2. If you always don't understand each other like you always quarrel then that is not a good sign too.
  3. I don't recommend a Filipina who love to go out at night for clubbing or bar. Not all but most of them is not good as a partner.
  4. Don't be fooled by their smiles or even in good treatment, always observe their actions.
  5. Choosing a good Filipina partner is by observing through her actions and how she thinks.

But it is better to have a legal agreement made and notarized by the lawyer if you decided to buy a property that will be name under your Filipina partner.. hope it helps.

Welcome Mornatuth23, it appears that USA Michael has not posted on Expat.com since November of 2017, guessing he will not be reading your post.

@morenatuth22 ,

A very interesting read.....

Upon the sudden death of my wife in 2020, I was faced with her family planning to take my 2500HD Chevrolet Van to their province. Although I was in California at the time, and was not allowed to enter the PI (Covid restrictions), this attempt was stopped cold when I promised swift action, per RA 10883.

They were reminded that since both the OR/CR was in my name only, any other person in possession of my vehicle, without my written permission is a car-napping, and triggers this RA.

My opinion -As it relates to both the LTO Official Receipt (OR) or Certificate of Registration (CR) being in your BF's possession but in his ex-GF's name, this is flirting with arrest & jail.

Therefore, be careful of a false sense of control by nearly possessing the documents.  An informed person wishing to recover their vehicle, can do the following:

• Proceed to the LTO branch where the "mother file" of the CR was first issued
  • Provide a notarized affidavit stating that the original document has been stolen, lost or damaged
  • Provide two valid primary IDs (government-issued) of the registered owner (photocopy with the original signature specimen)
  • Obtain an actual inspection of the motor vehicle and duly accomplished Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (stencil form). A PNP "car-napping" report can force the car to be returned to the owner of record (allowing the inspection to take place), as per RA 10883 (aka, "New Anti-Carnapping Act of 2016")

[ One should take a very close look at Sec 3. Carnapping Penalties that include not less than twenty (20) years and one (1) day when committed without violence or intimidation .....]

See: https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/down … 83-BSA.pdf

• If the owner is sending a representative to secure the document from the LTO on his/her behalf, he/she should prepare a duly-signed authorization letter for this purpose

Note: as of Feb 28, 2023, a new House Bill was introduced (7341) to amend RA 10883 Sec. 4., by adding a six (6) year prison term for "Concealment of Carnapping".

See: https://hrep-website.s3.ap-southeast-1. … B07341.pdf

My opinion -This topic of house and lot ownership possibilities has been here in Expat for at least 9+ years.... As it relates to both house and lot -

You and your BF need very clear legal understanding and or advice, well beyond these posting opinions.

For example:

• Have either of you reviewed the concept of unjust enrichment?
  • Have either of you reviewed the PI Supreme Court ruling under G.R. No. 214016, Guevarra, et al. v. Banach, November 24, 2021? See: https://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/26981/
  • Do both of you understand that only if the foreign person is legally married to a Filipino citizen, can the foreigner purchase land but, the property will be registered in the name of the Filipino spouse?
  • Most importantly:
  • Have you both reviewed and now understand Republic Act No. 7042?
  • Have you both reviewed and now understand Republic Act No. 8179?
  • Do you both understand that there are no statements, agreements or leases that can overcome the PI constitution regarding land ownership?

In my past research on this topic, the case I found to be the most informative is Borromeo vs. Descallar. It is possible that this case may best mirror your situation.

See: https://lawphil.net/judjuris/juri2009/f … _2009.html

Best wishes.......

@morenatuth22 You are verry open and honest. But as i observed, most foreigners dont look as good as i do,  mostly there is something wrong with them they cant find a woman at home. Offen they bragg, but have little money to spent and come to play king in the Philippines. Most of the guys you meet there, you dont want to be seen with at home.  Not that i am so much better, for years i used the philippinies also as my playing ground, sex drugs booze and rock and roll. But i never fell in love, once i thought i did, but that relation turned out wrong, my own fault, a way to young woman, what was i thinking? I can only blame myself. If i was poor i do anything to not being poor nomore. Its fully understandable. But foreigners start to scream, OMG they scammed me!! No thats not true, you are stupid and had yourself scammed. I live in Switserland the richest country on the planet, but even here are crooks, a love scam can happen all over the world. But it is true that in poor countries you encounter that sooner as in a rich counntry.

And if you are dumm enough to put all your eggs in one basket, you are likely to lose all. The many times i encountered foreigners in bars who told me their stories over how they had lost everthing, they are countless. Men just keep stumbling behind their dicks, they forget about their ratio. and thats what you cant do, you cant let your guard down in the Philippines, than you get crushed. Love is a riddle, no such thing in the Phillipines, its always attached to economics. And thats normal, a relationship pure ballanced can only exist if both parties have the same sort of income, in all other cases there is no ballance. For that reason you can hardly make a Filipino friend, you will pay for the breakfast you will pay for the lunch you will pay for dinner you will pay for pleasure and drinking, he cannot afford it. he will say every time thank you sir, but in his heart he will start to hate you and find a way to pull your leg. Same thing with the woman. A line from Billie Holliday, love can make you do things that you know aint right. But the same thing counts for poverty, poverty will make you do things that you know aint right. But someboddy stealing from you or scam you, because he or she is poor, thats not stealing. Its a way to survive. That is a survivingstrategie you offen find in the Philippines, there is nothing wrong with that. There is something wrong with you if you cant wrap your head around it. And if you cant live with that, go home stay home, and i will have more pretty girls.

yours sincerely, Iron Ivo..

lvo sonnenberg said . . . .

<snip #1> But as i observed, most foreigners dont look as good as i do,

<snip #2> for years i used the philippinies also as my playing ground, sex drugs booze and rock and roll. But i never fell in love, once i thought i did,

<snip #3> I live in Switserland the richest country on the planet,

<snip #4> if you are dumm enough to put all your eggs in one basket, you are likely to lose all.

snip #1 That's why you work at IKEA.

snip #2 If you live or want to live in the Philippines learn how to spell it.

snip #3 If you're from Switzerland learn how to spell that too (Switserland?)

snip #4 I never put all my Swiss Chocolate Easter Bunnies in one basket.

You Need Some Coaching