Does anyone know if new changes to Vietnam VISA law?

Just heard on the news that Americans living in Vietnam can get a ONE YEAR VISA renewal instead of a standard 3 months renewal.

Hate the hassle of renewing every 3 months!!  Anyone know if the new law has been implemented yet?  If not, when?

Thanks!!

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Foreign associations concerned about Vietnam visa policy

I was told that I had this option 3 months ago.

Unfortunately every travel agency that offer this service doesn't seem to know.  Either they really don't know (which is highly unlikely since they renew for folks daily) or they lie.  Having Foreigners return every quarter is more profitable.

danhask wrote:

I was told that I had this option 3 months ago.

Did you actually get a 1 year visa?

From an article dated December 3, 2015:

[url= Sherry Boger, chairwoman of the American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, said in a statement that it once asked Vietnamese government to extend the validity of temporary visas for US business persons and tourists from three months to 12 months, allowing multiple entries instead of single entry. ]Sherry Boger, chairwoman of the American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, said in a statement that it once asked Vietnamese government to extend the validity of temporary visas for US business persons and tourists from three months to 12 months, allowing multiple entries instead of single entry. [/url]

thuy4tien wrote:

Unfortunately every travel agency that offer this service doesn't seem to know.  Either they really don't know (which is highly unlikely since they renew for folks daily) or they lie.  Having Foreigners return every quarter is more profitable.

Agreed.  I've spent about $1300 this year for something that has a face value of less than $100.

Teacher Mark......you are paying WAY TOO MUCH !!  We pay about $60 to renew our VISA for 3 months. Please shop around. You should only need to spend $240 a year for renewal.

I am on my way to pick up my passport today....as I just renew last week.

Let me know if you are in HCMC and need the address to where I renew...

Later,
Tien (Texan living in Vietnam)

I just renewed my 3 month visa $45 , PM me if you want to know details

Everyone,  I just picked up my passport.  I made a mistake on the pricing.  The 3 months renewal is one million dong....which is about $44 dollars.

The owner did say that the new law works like this....when you enter Vietnam (as of December 3, 2015) the custom at the airport will stamp a 6 months (instead of a 3 months).  When your 6 months is up, travel agency can renew it for 6 months at a times.

thuy4tien wrote:

Everyone,  I just picked up my passport.  I made a mistake on the pricing.  The 3 months renewal is one million dong....which is about $44 dollars.

The owner did say that the new law works like this....when you enter Vietnam (as of December 3, 2015) the custom at the airport will stamp a 6 months (instead of a 3 months).  When your 6 months is up, travel agency can renew it for 6 months at a times.

Thanks for the update. So you're saying, even if your visa is only valid for 3 months, they will stamp you for 6? Doesn't make much sense, but it's a step in the right direction I suppose...

It also might be a good idea for people to mention in this thread exactly which visa they received for the money paid, for example:

1 month vs. 3 month
single vs. multiple entry
business vs. tourist visa

Some people need multiple entry visas, which are naturally going to be more expensive than single entry.

Thanks to all for the information!

Phillip tried to call you lenguaphile but you did not answer

Thanks Happy, just saw that I missed calls from 2 numbers. I'll try them both.

Thanks....to clarify I've called VINADAY travel and ask her your questions. She will try to clarify.

For me, I am a tourist and in 2015 I bought a FIVE YEARS VISA with multiple entries/ exits for $80 USD.  I visited my family in Vietnam 2 - 3 weeks out of every year.  In this FIVE YEARS VISA sticker, I see the notation that each time I enter Vietnam, i must abide by the Custom Stamp of 90 days.....which is 3 months.  After which I will have to get it renewed for another 90 days.

I discussed this with the owner and she feels that if I were to exit and re-enter Vietnam today (December 9, 2015), the Custom agent at the airport will stamp a 180 days (instead of 90 days) on my passport.  Because of the new law that took effect on December 3.

When this 180 days expired, my renewal will be 180 days from now on....which is 6 months.

I think they've just officially changed Visa exemption policies, ie, doubled the current duration and not the current Visa policies. they're looking at changing the tourist visas in the future, though only for US and Aus?

source: http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/31980/vie … s-official

This is correct, the VN immigration office said the same thing, My wife & I have a 5 year visa (she is Vietnamese, but came in with a USA passport) . We were told even with this visa we must renew every 3 months, unless we leave VN for 1 day & return , then it will be stamped for 60 days.

Hi Osage.......long time no talk. How are you doing?

Do you mean 180 days ( ??  You put down 60 days....please clarify.

Thanks

Thuy,

Not sure what Osage is saying but I can confirm with you that if you reenter Vietnam now you'll get a 6 months stamp for your 5 years visa exemption under the changes.

Hi Cosmo.......so my family members have 5 years VISAs (with multiple entries/ exits) that won't expired until 2018.

They are about to expire at the end of this month (December 31, 2015). Are you saying that if they get on a bus and go to Cambodia and come right back into Vietnam, the custom agent at the border will stamp a 6 month stamp on the passport (instead of a 3 month stamp) ??

If that is true then is it possible to go to a travel agency and pay for a renewal VISA stamp for 6 months (instead of 3 months) ??

thuy4tien wrote:

Hi Cosmo.......so my family members have 5 years VISAs (with multiple entries/ exits) that won't expired until 2018.

They are about to expire at the end of this month (December 31, 2015). Are you saying that if they get on a bus and go to Cambodia and come right back into Vietnam, the custom agent at the border will stamp a 6 month stamp on the passport (instead of a 3 month stamp) ??

If that is true then is it possible to go to a travel agency and pay for a renewal VISA stamp for 6 months (instead of 3 months) ??

you mentioned two expiries. I assume the latter (December 31) is in reference to your current stay. yes if you do a border run you'd certainly get a 6 month stamp.

as for the renewal process, I'm not sure. naturally, logic tells us you should get 6 months due to the changes. as you know everything varies from one instance to the next in Vietnam.

Thanks Cossmo.......you have confirmed my thinking process.  I am still waiting for the travel agency to tell me what they have found out about the new law.  I will post it once I talk to her.

She also told me that this is Vietnam....where a single law can and will be interpreted in a hundred different ways.  Such is the MADNESS of the culture we live in.....

Take care,
Thuy & Tien

Good news for Americans:

HANOI - Friday, December 11, 2015 22:17

Vietnam promises change after asked to ease visa policy for Australian, US citizens
Vietnam plans to extend visa validity for US tourists from 3 months to 1 year: report
Vietnam PM presses ahead with visa waivers for more nationalities
Top legislators in Vietnam on Friday approved the government's proposal to extend the validity of temporary visas for US citizens from three months to one year, local media reported.
The Standing Committee of the National Assembly made the decision after Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh submitted a report on the matter.
Minh said the US had repeated sought the Vietnamese government's extension of visa validity for its citizens as it said the US had already granted Vietnamese citizens one-year visas.
The US said Vietnam was the only one among 11 countries in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) offering visas of limited periods to US citizens.
Minh told the committee that the extension would boost economic and trade ties with the US and attract more US tourist arrivals.
With the legislative approval, the government is expected to officially announce the new visa policy soon.
Last August, tourism minister Hoang Tuan Anh said at a meeting with the US State Department that Vietnam aimed to bring the annual number of US arrivals to one million by 2017.
Last year US arrivals hit 443,776, up nearly 3 percent from 2013.
Currently, a general tourist visa to Vietnam for US citizens is valid for 30 or 90 days, with single or multiple entries.
Between January and July this year, Vietnam attracted 301,907 US tourists.
Business groups from Australia, Japan and the US in Vietnam have asked the government to ease its visa policy for their citizens.
Sherry Boger, chairwoman of the American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, said in a recent statement that it once asked the Vietnamese government to extend the validity of temporary visas for US business persons and tourists from three to 12 months.
However, since the proposal was made in June, the chamber has not seen any change yet, she said.

Vietnam to offer US visitors one-year visa to boost investment, tourism

thuy4tien wrote:

Teacher Mark......you are paying WAY TOO MUCH !!  We pay about $60 to renew our VISA for 3 months. Please shop around. You should only need to spend $240 a year for renewal.

I am on my way to pick up my passport today....as I just renew last week.

Let me know if you are in HCMC and need the address to where I renew...

Later,
Tien (Texan living in Vietnam)

The going rate for a 3 month DN/business visa, in Hanoi, w/o a border run, was $300+.  Believe me, I shopped around. 

Anyone that's caught working while holding a DL/tourist visa could be fined and deported.  There's at least 1 person on the net claiming that it happened to them, after a tourist agency "accidently" got him a DL visa, instead of a DN.

Thanks Teacher Mark.....I just talk to the travel agency this morning.....one who has helped me renew the VISA stamp every 3 months.....and she read the same thing.

Here is what she said......if you do a VISA run (meaning to exit and re-enter Vietnam), you will get a 6 months stamp from the Custom Agent.  This is an improvement from the 3 months cycle.  Once you have a 6 months stamp, all renewal afterwards will be 6 months.  She has not been told of the 12 months......and she works directly with the custom agent !!

Here is the kicker...currently a 3 months stamp costs $45 USD.  However a 6 months stamp costs $150 USD.  This is way more than doubling the price !!!

***?!!  Excuse my outrage.....
I will continue to do a 3 months renewal until this madness die down and the law is settled!!!!

Good luck all,
Thuy & Tien

I got a visa two weeks ago and they told me that the only visas available were one month or three months

Can anyone recommend a local bank e.g.. Donga or Vietcom... are they all much the same or has anyone had good or bad experiences with either?

Jameskeep , how about staying on topic .May I suggest you look at the finance and banking forum or alternatively post a new thread
Good luck

JohnD.......you are correct.  The VISA stamp is still available for folks who want 1 month (cost is $33 USD) or 3 months (cost is $44 USD).....

However, the new law did took effect where you can get a 6 months VISA (cost is $150 USD).  To me this is too much money.  I will stay with a 3 months renewal as this is what the majority of the folks do.

Until the law REALLY widely used, I'll wait...

Good luck to all !!
Tien

I need the name and address and phone # of the agent ... My partner he paid $135 each time renewal..
Thank you
David Bui

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

DavidBui......OUCH!  That is a lot of money for a 3 months renewal...we got taken advantage at the beginning with a charge of $60 USD.  We shop around and found this place....VINADAY travel agency on 228 De Tham (and Pham Ngu Lao)....popular district for backpackers.

The lady who helped me is Ly Le (0919185990)....she changed 1 million dong($44USD) for a 3 months renewal.

She is the lady who gave me information of the new law.....

Good luck,
Tien Tran

My partner is New Zealand an American citizens using USA passport.. Are you sure it $60? Mine is only $10 because I'm Việt qu for ...

Thank for information ...
I will contact her next time we need to renewal his visa..

David Bui

thuy4tien wrote:

Until the law REALLY widely used, I'll wait...

Keep in mind that the laws may not be widely enforced, but they can be enforced at any time.  Piss the right person off, get into a scuffle, have a motorbike accident and...BAM...there's "the man", ready to enforce.  If they decide that you've been skirting the laws,. then you're looking at deportation, as well as a heavy-handed fine.

yes sorry, leave the country 1 day & return & the visa will be stamped for 6 months months

In my recent visited to VN from 25 Nov-19 Dec 15, when I went thru immigration, they stamped my VISA good for 7 months until 24 Jun 16 (a mistake? may be?)  Thought I let everyone know about this.

Knowing the way paper work is handled here, they may not have instructions to do this yet. My wife is Vietnamese, but came in on a 5 year visa with American passport the same as myself. When at the immigration office for our 3 month renewal, the officer told her if we left the country for 1 day we could get it stamped for every 6 months for renewal, he than casually said as she was leaving his desk that perhaps even for a year & said no more as the next client was already seated.

osage wrote:

yes sorry, leave the country 1 day & return & the visa will be stamped for 6 months months

You should consider yourself lucky as well, because the latest round of visa acquisition simplification (V.A.S.) states that 6 month business visas can only be issued at airports or embassies (2 to 3 day waiting period).  That may not be the case for tourist visas. 

Vietnam and Valium - Don't attempt the former without the latter!

This past Monday, an Immigration officer in Dalat told me that the six month visa was NOT available for tourists (I am currently on a DL).