Spouse Visa question

Hello,

I'm marrying a wonderful Irish fellow this summer, and will be leaving the USA to join him in Ireland.

What steps does a person take to obtain a spouse visa ?

Also, does the spouse visa allow me to start working immediately in Ireland, or do I need to obtain other visas/ documents ?

Thanks for your time!

I did find some information on this Irish gov site:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

There are two routes in which a non EEA national can apply for permission to reside in the State on the basis of Marriage to an Irish National:

1. If you are a non visa required national who has entered the State legally within the last 90 days or if you are a visa required national and you are within the period of permission to remain granted to you on arrival in the State (except short stay 'c' visas):,or if you have current permission to remain in the State on an alternative basis both you and your Irish national spouse should attend at your local Garda National Immigration Bureau Registration Office with the following documentation:

Your original marriage certificate

Your original passport

Your Irish spouse's original passport

Evidence of your joint address

Applications can take up to 12 months to process. Applications are dealt with in chronological order of receipt.

What happens if my application is approved?

Successful applicants may be granted permission to reside in the State for an initial period of 12 months.

The non EEA national spouse may be granted Stamp 4 which will allow him/her to reside and work in the State without the requirement of a Work Permit.

The applicant and his/her Irish national spouse will be required to attend at their local Registration Office to be registered as resident in the State on the basis of being the Spouse of an Irish National.

Details in respect of registration and renewal of registration will be provided in correspondence issued by the Spouse of an Irish National Unit.

Would you mind if i jumped in with a similar query?

I'm not Irish; I'm a UK citizen, and am living in Cambodia with a Cambodian wife - we've been married for 4 years.

We desire to relocate to Ireland to settle permanently and find work.

The paperwork looks quite light and undemanding (certainly compared to the UK) but I'm still unclear about one or two points even after pouring over the appropriate official websites.

As I understand it, I just need to turn up at an airport with my UK passport. My wife, being the spouse of an EU national, does not need a visa but she does need a Residence Card. We apply on form EU1 and they put stamp #4 in her passport, right? The Residence Card permits her to stay and work at any job in Ireland, right?

The thing is, this process is supposed to take about 6 months. This makes it tricky for us to plan ahead, in particular to secure accommodation and jobs. I'm quite confident that despite the current state of the economy, we can find jobs quickly, but not before arrival. Now I can send documentation to show that I am working and earning in Cambodia, but if I don't have a rented flat and job lined up on arrival, will my wife be refused entry? I can show, if requested, that I have about 4000 Euros in my Cambodian bank account - is that enough to show I can support her until we get on our feet?

In short, I'm worried that she might be barred from accompanying me to Ireland because we won't have accommodation and work guaranteed on arrival. Can anyone correct me, reassure me,
or help me to get the application right?

Much gratitude in advance,