Foreign car accident - Car scrap

Hi,

my mom came from sicily to malta to visit me. She brought the car with her and staid for a few months. The problem is that i made now an accident with her car. And i think the best would be to scrap it here in Malta instead to repair or ship back to sicily (worth of the car approx. 4k). I even could repair it and then bring it back to sicily. The accident happened after three months she came to visit me and the car is registered on her name.

I was driving the car, when i had the accident. I am working in Malta for approx. 1 year and have a maltese resident card.

Any suggestions how I should proceed? Any suggestions for trustful mechanics? Maybe which can estimate the costs of repairing?

Thanks for your advises.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

you do realize that you were not allowed to drive a foreign -plated car as a Maltese resident in Malta?

Where the police involved in the accident ? What damages occured to third-party ?

You can really go to any repair shop and get an estimate of the damage and whether a repair is worthwhile.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

I have a maltese registered car as well. But that i can't drive my moms car (insured that i can drive it) I didn't know. I am a italian citizen with a maltese residence permit. So it is prohibited to drive a italian car?

The wardens came and made the report. It was the fault of the other car. It was a narrow street and I stopped the car that he can pass on his left. He didn't pay attention and went straight in my car without pushing the break.

The problem is, that i can't drive the car anymore. So it is a lil bit more difficult to get a mechanic to estimate the costs.

Otherwise I will ship it back to sicily to scrap it there, if it is easier...:/

If your car is heavily damaged (not road worthy), VirtuFerries may deny boarding ... unless you bring it on a trailer.

btw, you are of course allowed to drive a foreign plated car as owner of a Maltese ID card, as long as it's not registered on your name (you have to change the registration within one week) and the license is valid.

Thanks for your answer. I will bring it to the mechanic and after ship it back to sicily.

matm911 wrote:

btw, you are of course allowed to drive a foreign plated car as owner of a Maltese ID card, as long as it's not registered on your name (you have to change the registration within one week) and the license is valid.

This from the TM website....

"- If you are a tourist, your car can stay in Malta for six out of 12 months, while retaining its foreign registration plates. Maltese residents (not just Maltese people, but anyone who has declared Malta to be their residence) cannot drive a vehicle with foreign registration plates (unless they have been given permission from Transport Malta).

- If you are resident in Malta, you can only drive the car you have imported when it has Maltese number plates, that is, when it has been registered in Malta. You are given seven days to apply and following this are fined €30 for every day after that."

The car was not his and not registered in his name so he was not legally allowed to drive it .

Terry

Since I have imported a few cars and motorcycles myself, I know the old (prior 2013) and the new rules from TM and know from experience  :( , that even the info and forms on the TM website are not always correct (by mistake or because they are against EU laws), unclear wording, or the latest versions and that the person at the info counter at Hornworks Ditch not always gives you the correct answer (and then it's your fault, because you did the "wrong procedure"  :mad: )
There was even issued a wrong version of the new 125cc-regulation with the new budget ... therefore do not always trust, what Maltese authorities publish  :P

If you, as resident in Malta, import a car (either with foreign plate or already unregistered at all) you have to register it within one week, i.e. for cars and motorcycles you have to go to the Technical Unit first (within this one week), and with the documents from the TU you can proceed to the Registration desk (there are exceptions for damaged and/or classic/vintage vehicles). In case of a vehicle without any number plate at all, you can drive without a plate to TM for registration, but you need to have a local insurance (they really issue an insurance here without any number plate !!!).

BTW, it does not matter WHO actually imported the vehicle, but who's name is mentioned on the purchasing contract.
There is no name indicated on the VirtuFerries Import form, and even without any import form, there are legal ways to apply for registration months after the import (esp. for vehicles which are not in the condition to be checked by the Technical Unit) - without paying the penalty of 30,- PER DAY !!!  ;)

If you live in Malta but are not registered as resident yet, you can drive a foreign plated car registered on your name for a period of 12 months. In case you are a TCN even your driving license will become invalid after 12 months.
And: on the TM website was (or still is ?) shown, that in case you become resident in Malta you have to exchange your driving license to a Maltese driving license - this is also not correct since it's against EU laws (I had arguments about this matter with the Police after my accident, but luckily I found the respective rule on the EU website, printed it out and handed it over to the Police station for their further education  :lol: )

However, with any valid EU driving license you are allowed - within the whole EU - to drive any road legal and insured vehicle (even with plates from third countries) within the respective vehicle class. Note, that some countries require a written consent from the owner. Otherwise it would not even be allowed for residents to drive any rental car in Malta or to borrow a car from a friend ...

The point in this case is the vehicle is not and never was his. It was not brought into the country by him or sold to him.

You do not have to exchange an  EU driving licence if you move to another country UNLESS it is one that is issued for life (ie French) or when it expires, in this case your country of residence can insist that it is changed.

Countries within the EU  are allowed  to alter local driving and registration regulations and many do.

Lots of insurance companies within the EU will insure a vehicle via its VIN number.

Malta is not unique within the EU, just more corrupt than most.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

You do not have to exchange an  EU driving licence if you move to another country

Although the EU laws are applicable in Malta since 2004, only approx. 2 years ago, TM changed the wording on the website from "must be exchanged within a period of ..." to "shall be entitled to have his driving licence exchanged"

Anyhow, a lot of other things have been changed long time after accession to the EU only after decision from ECJ, e.g. bus fares, residential utility tariffs, basis of import/registration tax, tax on electric vehicles, grant schemes for alternative energy, end consumer guarantee and customer rights ...

Recently there was a call to the public, until further notice not to pay any fees coming from local councils for using the bus lane along The Strand in Gzira/Sliema, since it is against the Maltese law to prohibit the use of this dedicated bus lane with private vehicles in this specific line-up (number of available lanes)  :lol:

Last time when I did not stop at a stop sign and was using my mobile phone while driving, a local warden stopped me and gave me a ticket for ... not wearing the seat belt ... this is what matters here  :cool:
Better is not to care too much about ... everything  :rolleyes:  makes life much easier  :top:

UNLESS it is one that is issued for life (ie French) or when it expires, in this case your country of residence can insist that it is changed.

This is also not valid any more, because even "for life" expires latest 19th January 2033  :o

Countries within the EU  are allowed  to alter local driving and registration regulations and many do.

What in case you exchange your e.g. German or French "for life" driving license to a Greek one, and then Greece will be kicked out of the EU ... ?