Sending money to Bhutan

Hello,

I am from Dhaka, Bangladesh and planning to move to Bhutan this November. While I am there, my father is supposed to send me money each month for my expenses till I find some work. But we are facing some problems in this regard. I have read in several places that visa/ mastercard doesn't work in Bhutan and also bank to bank money transfer/ western union not possible from Bangladesh. So, what's the process of sending money from Bangladesh to Bhutan?

I am also interested in knowing how money can be transferred to Bhutan?
As regulations only permit entry of Rs. 25000 at a time.

A site called Bhutan Traveldom is saying that Visa/ mastercard can be used to withdraw money in Bhutan - only in Thimphu, Paro and Phuentsholing. I am trying to be sure about that.

Both Visa and MasterCard are easily accessible from most ATMs in Bhutan. Obviously better in the larger cities and towns, but fairly common even in the smaller places now.

HI,
I spent 10 years in Bhutan and have been back in States for 3 years.
It used to be that the banks would accept Travellers Cheques but no more.
The best fastest way is to send Indian rupees or US dollars via Money Gram.
All the banks in Bhutan will accept them and the fees have dropped dramatically.
I also get a monthly amount from home and Money Gram is reliable and safe.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Dave Harding
Soon to be back in Paro Town.

Thanks. This information is very helpful!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info on receiving money from the States in Bhutan.  I am curious how you got to live there for so long.  I was under the impression Bhutan did not allow foreigners to live there.  Do you have a government job there?  If so, how does someone do that?

Thank you,

Hi Jannatul

Yes,  you're right about the local Mastercard and Visa Debit cards not accepted by a new rule by the Royal Monetary Authority. However,  there should be no issues if you're carrying an international debit card. I know bank to bank transfers are possible but opening an account and the other procedures could be irksome. 

I successfully got a Western Union transfer in the local Bhutan Post office with zero hassles, by just showing my Indian passport.

So,  no worries.