Family life with young children in Phnom Penh

My partner and I are possibly moving to Cambodia in 2011 for work, and we ahve two young children (3 and 6 years). It would be good to hear from anyone about the benefits and challenges of living wiht a young family in Phnom Penh, and any advice you might have. Thanks.

I would say you're gonna face at least two problems: education for your children (tricky to find a reliable school here) and, the traffic being quite chaotic (to say the least), moving around Phnom Penh safely with your children. Do you have any specific questions, btw?

First of all, I would like to know where you are going to work and live,  then I may share some ideas for you.
Thanks

Hi,

I am in the same situation. My husband and I are moving to Cambodia (PP) in january and we have two little kids.
Which intenational schools would you recommend?

Also, what are the recommended areas for living within PP?

Thanks!

A

A -
I see the above posts are old so hopefully I can help you!  I'm here with 2 kids.  They are age 3 and 5. I remember wondering all about it before we came.  It's not a problem!  They absolutely love children here, though they put their hands on them a lot and that takes getting used to or a firm no, whatever you choose.

As for schools - I was told to stick to the big international ones.  ISPP (International School of Phnom Penh) is really supposed to be the best and it's in an area of the city called BKK1 (great place to live but pricey).  The other one is Northbridge, and it's on a total different part of town.  Don't go there unless you live there.  And they have nice housing on the campus, I've seen.  There are 2 big christian schools if you want that - LOGOS and Hope International.  Both are great, too.  I think they all have websites where you can learn more. 

I hope that helps!
As far as living arrangements, I recommend waiting until you get here.  People told us that, too, and I remember not wanting to wait, but it was  good we did.  Hardly any are listed online, so you just get hooked up with a realtor (or a few even) and look around.  Good living areas, in my opinion, are BKK1 and around the Russian Market (called Toul Tom Pong).  Now that I've been here a few months, though, I'd live in a lot more places.  There are nice areas throughout the city and all of it feels safe. 

Good luck with the move!  If you have more questions, email me directly!  (sometimes I miss posts here)

Make sure you get hooked up on the Cambodia Parent Network Yahoo group.  It's really helpful, too.

Kim

Try playgrounds like Kids City and Urban Space.