Passport Stolen!! Help!!

My husband has been in Riyadh for a day. He moved there on the 8th. Today while he was walking down the street near Olaya a man on a scooter knocked him down and snatched his laptop bag. It contained all of his documents including his passport as well as some of our family documents like marriage certificate etc. What should he do? Is this a common occurrence in Riyadh? We have been excited about this move but this is heartbreaking!!
He has been advised to refrain from contacting the police until tomorrow when the office can provide hom with some proof of identity. Please help us with suggestions. Is this the right thing to do?

Sorry to know about this accident which is highly unusual in Saudi Arabia.

I think the best thing to do is to explain this to your employer first and then report it to police in presence of your employers local representative who will take care of the formalities.

I hope you have photocopies of all the documents. Once you have lodged the complain, you could get new passports from Indian high commission. For the other papers, you need to apply for duplicates from India. :dumbom:

Contact your embassy ASAP, reporting the loss.

Please do not walk into the Police station without your employer's representative. If you do so, they will put you into jail for weeks before any body will know your where abouts.

In Saudi the law is that all expats must carry a passport with valid visa or an Iqama ( a work permit) at all times.

In Saudi close to 200K visitors come on a visit or a religious visa ( Hajj or Umrah)  every year and overstay for years until they report their passport stolen at  police station, the authorities put them in jail for a couple of weeks and often months before a duplicate passport is acquired through their respected embassies and they are deported. :sosad:

Your employer (sponsor) must take the responsibility of sorting this out with the local authorities. You cannot do anything by yourself or with the help of friends.

This is not a usual occurrence however it not unheard of either ! A lot of people i know have been mugged in Saudi. I do not live in Saudi anymore but i would try avoiding dark back road alleys or sparsely populated areas at all times. The embassy can issue a new passport once your company has filed it stolen and perhaps announced it in papers.

I have heard many such incidents. However, it is not important about the statistics here.
I am sure this will be solved with the help of the sponsoring company, even though it will take its own time.
A police complain by the company and an ad in the local newspaper will help approach the embassy for a new passport.

With the help of photocopies, you can request for a duplicate of the other documents from their concerned authorities in India.

I am very sorry for what has happened. I know this will be shattering. But be patient. This is just a test.Am sure you will pass through..And God will guide you.

So sorry to hear that, stealing of laptops, robbings are little common in some areas. But if your husband lost his passport, he should complain in police, but tell him not to go alone. He must go with his compant representative and that should be a local saudi guy. With this police will file a complain and provide you with necessary documents. Then you can go to your embassy to get new passport. BUt as for the VISA and other stuffs am not sure, but i guess his company will help him for that. Good luck to him.

This is normal in Riyadh, same thing happened with me while i was on visit also and laptop bag snatched and my passport was inside, first step you should ask company to issue letter with company letter head that you have lost passport in this way discuss whole scenario in report and tgen go to police station, i think solaimania police station will register your complain,  please take some person that must speak arabic otherwise u will suffer, then company should take letter from.forign ministry that no person went out on your passport then you have to go your embassy in diplomatic quarter they can issue new passport.

Sorry to know about this accident which is highly unusual in Saudi Arabia.

Not anymore, this is becoming a daily occurrence for expats and saudis, its advisable not to leave any valuables on display in your car and to be aware whenever you are walking.

Yess i got this advise after this incident and also giving same advise to others.