Moving and Living in Madinah as a single woman

Hi All,

I have just been offered a teaching job in Medinah and I would really love some advice from any woman living there. I have had very mixed reviews on whether or not I should accept the position. The company is providing accommodation for me but it is NOT in a compound. The closest expat community compound I have found in my research is in Jeddah.
I understand that it will be a complete culture shock and I am prepared for that. My biggest worry is the social side of it. I have been told that as a single woman I am not allowed to walk anywhere on my own? There are no places woman are allowed to go to have a cup of coffee on her own, no gyms, no shopping, etc. Is this right?

I am just worried that my life will become work (which will be great) and then home to sit in my apartment alone like a hermit. Is it easy to meet people? Are there things for us gals to do together?

Any advice would be welcome.

Bianca

Allo

Search: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148811

even though it's an old topic, but you should get an idea somewhat...there should be new ones too.

Hi there,

Please check the below topic too.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 89#2788026

Coming to Saudi Arabia is in itself a big leap. Living anywhere other than the 3 larger cities in Saudi (Dhahran-Dammam/Riyadh/Jeddah) is calling for double jeopardy in simplistic words.

You may walk alone on the street but the response from the locals and the level of acceptance differs from city to city.

Unless you can live a hermits life moving to a place like Medina is a tall order.

Thanks for your reply - I did see that thread and there were definitely some interesting reads. As i said, my biggest worry is because i will not be in a compound where it would be easy to meet and make friends with other expats. Do you know if the apartments they put us in are communal or are you isolated?

Why do you need to come to Saudi Arabia, at the first place?

Binx30 wrote:

Hi All,

I have just been offered a teaching job in Medinah and I would really love some advice from any woman living there. I have had very mixed reviews on whether or not I should accept the position. The company is providing accommodation for me but it is NOT in a compound. The closest expat community compound I have found in my research is in Jeddah.
I understand that it will be a complete culture shock and I am prepared for that. My biggest worry is the social side of it. I have been told that as a single woman I am not allowed to walk anywhere on my own? There are no places woman are allowed to go to have a cup of coffee on her own, no gyms, no shopping, etc. Is this right?

I am just worried that my life will become work (which will be great) and then home to sit in my apartment alone like a hermit. Is it easy to meet people? Are there things for us gals to do together?

Any advice would be welcome.

Bianca

Btw if its within city limits, then only muslims are permitted, so you might want to double-check with them.

live.ali
Thank you for your reply.. I really do appreciate it... I think I will ask the company if they can place me in another location - haha... All the responses from the various sites I have been on do not make for a very compelling case when it comes to Medinah..
Where are you if you don't mind me asking? And have you managed to create a good life for yourself there? Made friends, etc?

Life in Zimbabwe is awful, there is no work, no money and a lot of violence. I am also on a Zimbabwean passport which has huge restrictions when it comes to working in other countries. Trying to get a work permit is almost impossible. I have been offered a very good job in Saudi but it is in Medinah which from what I am learning is not the best place to be if you are going to move.

whats it to you? answer the questions, otherwise you're of no help

shahidfk wrote:

Why do you need to come to Saudi Arabia, at the first place?

Sister, it's madinah, you will meet other sisters there, you will meet your colleagues at the place you're working- you'll go the haram and spend your time there. other times you'll just want to sleep after work and hide from everyone (my preference) :)

Haha - thanks Rareshine - that's definitely one way to look at it.. Hiding from the world I can definitely do for a while but hiding for a year might be a bit of a challenge... Lol... As long as I find someone who I can have a good chin way with on a good or bad day I should be ok.. Haha

Binx30 wrote:

live.ali
Thank you for your reply.. I really do appreciate it... I think I will ask the company if they can place me in another location - haha... All the responses from the various sites I have been on do not make for a very compelling case when it comes to Medinah..
Where are you if you don't mind me asking? And have you managed to create a good life for yourself there? Made friends, etc?

From my experience of living in Dammam I can tell you that the level of acceptance to expatriates/foreigners is greater than anywhere else in Saudi. Health facilities are good compared to small towns. And you can meet and make friends here even if you are not in a resident in western compound.

I spent 3 years in Jeddah, and whilst Jeddah is more cosmopolitan than Madinah, I found it safe and friendly in general. There are a lot of expats around that you can get to know. Try to get accommodation in a compound with other expats, or at least in an apartment block. Find out which shopping malls the Expats use particularly the Fillipinos, and there will probably be many working there, as these will present you with opportunities to meet people in the same position as you.
Restaurants are strict, there are two entrances leading to segregated areas, all single men in one area and "families" ie women + male family member in the other. No Cinema no Theatre no Clubs no socializing, if you enjoy Ice cream, coffee and shopping its heaven.

Hi i am rain, and i would like to ask a question, i am currently in a relationship with a muslim man and we are planning on getting married, however I would like to make sure that he is legally single, do you know which government office/facility can i make a request for a check?.thank you