Who can tell me how life really is for a married western woman?

Hello everybody,

My husband is getting a job opportunity to work in SA in Jubail as an engineer. I'm not scared of adventures, but I think I'm being realistic to think about what it will bring for me.

I'm a self employes jewel designer, 31 years old. I'm wondering if I could work in SA, and sell my jewels. And how life really is as a western woman. I've red all the 'take it easy's on the forum (I think they were mostly from men), but I think I'd have to addapt big time.

Do I have to wear an abaya, or is a headscarf enough? How is the social life? And more inportently the social life during the day (when the husbands are working ;-))

What does the life cost in Jubail? What's a proper deal for a university engineer whit 7 years of experiance in the petrol industry? Somebody told me the salary is taxfree? Is that true? Me husband would be working for a SA cooparation, so not officially an expat.

Who can give me some serious tips and advices? (please not 'the take it easy' or 'it will be ok' messages, thanks)

Greetings Orchidee

Orchidee, you're one smart cookie to have picked up on the fact that it's always the men who say 'take it easy' to women  (and once or twice it was a Saudi guy, like he even has a clue what it's like to be an expat woman!) lol

I replied to your PM but two things based on this post:  in the USA, the money made abroad is tax-free, up to about $85,000/year.   You need to google the exact tax info as applies  to the Netherlands.

Also, even though your hubby is employed by a Saudi company (I am, too), you both are expats (so welcome to the forum!).

I think she meant her hubby would be working for a South African Corporation and not a Saudi Company.

I am sure Orchidee would be able to market her jewelery designs to the many expat womenfolk living in western Compounds in the Eastern Province?

Hello Orchidee and welcome to Expat.com ;)

Personnally I do not know Jubail at all but I have lived in Al Khobar for about 8 years till 2008 and will answer some of your questions.

First on the attire: abaya is compulsory once you go out of your compound (inside you can dress normal wester clothes), headscarf was not compulsory in Khobar and I think in Jubail it's the same (only during Ramadan are the muttawas a little more pressing on the subject and you might want to keep one in your handbag).

In compounds, life is usually ok and you can easily make friends; they are usually well equipped: swimming pools, gym, tennis courts, library, small supermarket for the daily shopping, buses to go out shopping and bring kids to school)... to name a few.

Many expat women in KSA have a hobby in arts & crafts and are mostly selling their production during coffee mornings or inside the compounds.

One more thing: salaries are tax-free in KSA (even if you work for a local company, which I think I know the name of :D). I don't know about regulations for expats in Holland but we unregistred from Belgian registres long years ago and thus are fully expats and do not pay taxes in Belgium either).

One more advise: all contracts in KSA are in both English and Arabic but it's the Arabic part that counts! So be sure to have it read by a trustworthy Arabic speaking person to check if Arabic written equals what has been translated to English!

About salaries, cost of life in Jubail etc., I will leave the "keyboard" to other expatriates in Jubail who might be able to respond to your questions.

Hope this helps and wish you a nice weekend further
Arlette

Hi you all,

Thanks for your responce.

@alliecat, thanks again for your PM.

@musicman, no I ment Saudi Arabia.

@feeacer, I don't understand that a abaya is compulsory and a headscarf isn't. If you wear a abaya you already cover your whole body, aren't you? You know the name af the company ;-) ? It's not Aramco if you might think that. But we'll be membor of their 'health club'. Thanks for the tip about the arabic part of the contract. One would think that it's normal that both texts are the same.

@all, what I forgot to write is that I converted to Islam a few years ago. I'm not practicing as most moslims do in SA (I don't wear a headscarf), and that worries me because they might expect diffirent behaviour for me then from other non-moslim western women.

Anyhow, in Khobar I never wore a headscarf! Only once was I shouted at by one of the muttawas and that was during Ramadan!

In Khobar, we used to see several American women not wearing the abaya but... I would never have risked such provocation :lol:

Are you "western" type? If so, it's not written on your face that you're a muslim because they can't tell from you looks if you are or not! (that's my 2 cents worth!)

I can tell.. When in Rome DO as the ROMANS ..

Saudi Journalist .. Sorry for the Phrase .. The Roman invented the theories and me guess they were Right.. Wish you and your Husband Good Stay...

well let me see what i can help you with ,

first of all in regards to the abayah you would just have to put it when you go into public places and as a none saudi you wouldnt have to go all out and cover up since your not saudi or from the middle east people understand just dont put something too reveling and your good to go .
and as for you own business yeah if you can find a way to market it like using Facebook in jubail groups and trust me if people start buying it then you will get alot of business since word of mouth is something big in Saudi Arabia.

as for your Hooby i am sure his salary will be really high as a BS grad. plus there isnt any tax and if he works for a big organization or most privet businesses you guys should get free medical , free air tickets every year to your home town , free housing ( they take away the accommodation expense from the salary) i mean as far as the job and house and transportation your set.

i dont know what else you want to know i am just throwing thingy that you might help you any other Question just go ahead and ask.

oh and one more thing there are a lot of foreigners in jubail American's, Spanish etc etc just need to find them

Hi I am quite familiar with Jubail, if you want to PM me am happy to give you the 411 on the place and life in Saudi for a women.

HI, Middle east especially Saudi is the place to make money forget about western life style for couple of months. make sure the target is achieved within the lead time.
Sorry to say but try to understand the culture and don't be up-set in the beginning be cool and once settle down will use to for the dull life. Compounds are all over Saudi where you can stay and feel like you are in mini town with multi culture lifestyle. Welcome on board. Make sure the contract should be secure and safe don't sign anything without any doubt. If you need any help please don't hesitate.