Request for credit/debit card for online shopping

I make most of my tickets booking or gadgets shopping through internet and I am searching for a credit or debit card that I could use with PayPal.

Currently I have a bank account at HSBC , but I am not willing to apply with them for a card as their monthly fees are quite high, even if you don't use the card at all.

Are there any other options for online or virtual cards that are trustworthy and you can apply for them online?
For example,I found this papaya.eu page that is issuing such cards.
Has anybody experience from using them?

paypal do a prepaid debit card

RASTAVIPER wrote:

I make most of my tickets booking or gadgets shopping through internet and I am searching for a credit or debit card that I could use with PayPal.

Currently I have a bank account at HSBC , but I am not willing to apply with them for a card as their monthly fees are quite high, even if you don't use the card at all.

Are there any other options for online or virtual cards that are trustworthy and you can apply for them online?

Try this with PayPal:-  https://www.paypal.com/vu/cgi-bin/websc … nk-outside
It looks as though you can register your bank account and have the money debited directly from it to pay for goods through PayPal.
Not sure if you can set up a PayPal account this way or if it is just something you can add afterwords. Don't HSBC issue you with a debit card automatically as part of a current account?

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
RASTAVIPER wrote:

Try this with PayPal:-  https://www.paypal.com/vu/cgi-bin/websc … nk-outside
It looks as though you can register your bank account and have the money debited directly from it to pay for goods through PayPal.
Not sure if you can set up a PayPal account this way or if it is just something you can add afterwords. Don't HSBC issue you with a debit card automatically as part of a current account?

Ray

With PayPal I don't know what is happening, but I have opened a Maltese account and when I try to add my bank account, all I get is the option to add an American bank account only.

About HSBC, I got my account just 2 months ago and they didn't offer me any option for having a card for online shopping.
I got only the Quickcash card.

You should change your card to a Visa, link has all the cards available from HSBC Malta

https://www.hsbc.com.mt/1/2/mt/en/perso … ebit-cards

be aware though that some banks require you to have the equivalent of the credit limit as a blocked deposit in the account

Just to give an update on that, I decided to proceed with 2 options: both virtual Papaya and also normal HSBC credit card.

Papaya was selected mostly cause of curiosity. So, I applied for the virtual credit card and for the ewallet. Also, I have added 20€ to make a test with topping up my PayPal account. It takes 2 days to accept my transfer towards Papaya site.

Also, I found a credit card with only 21€ annual fee from HSBC, which is good enough for me, the credit card Classic.

and they didnt ask for a deposit bond for the credit card.

well done

Toon wrote:

well done

As I have mentioned at my first post,
I have already a bank account there.

RASTAVIPER wrote:
Toon wrote:

well done

Glad it's worked out for you.

We have had an account with Banif for over 2 years and they said they would happily give us a credit card for 1000 as long as we put 1000 in a separate account which was ring fenced to pay the Credit Card.  As I said to them, where does the credit bit come in?
The only reason I would have one is for car hire purposes where there are still many car hire companies living in the dark ages and won't take a Debit Card.

Avis UK - debit card ok, Avis Malta - 1500 euro excess and must be Credit Card unless you pay 23 euros per day to insure the excess!

Ray

RASTAVIPER wrote:
Toon wrote:

well done

as is explained by foxglove in the later post they usually ask for a deposit bond equal to the amount of credit required on the credit card account... whether you have a account here or not.

hence my comment

https://www.theuniversecard.com/help-faqs/
this is a prepaid card for maltese residenrs though they also offer a credit line

So guys u were right.
There is a big period of blocking funds for new clients.
For 2 years the bank is keeping blocked the same amount as the card limit.

For now I decided not to proceed with HSBC and use only Papaya.

robpw2 wrote:

https://www.theuniversecard.com/help-faqs/
this is a prepaid card for maltese residenrs though they also offer a credit line

you can also check this:

- yesmoney.com.mt/index.php/yes-cards/yes-money-visa-card

a note about banks: if you plan to ask for credit card or bank loan, be sure not to use that bank account for putting money on online betting sites, they don't care if you make or lose money, they don't care even if the amounts are small, they just gonna refuse you (personal exp. from BOV)

Duxx wrote:

you can also check this:

- yesmoney.com.mt/index.php/yes-cards/yes-money-visa-card

a note about banks: if you plan to ask for credit card or bank loan, be sure not to use that bank account for putting money on online betting sites, they don't care if you make or lose money, they don't care even if the amounts are small, they just gonna refuse you (personal exp. from BOV)

And don't bother applying to 'yesmoney' if you are retired, even with a guaranteed income of over 20,000 euros pa. they won't accept you.

Ray

Ok first order with Papaya and PAYPAL was a success.

Only problem is that every time that I transfer money from HSBC account to PAPAYA account, in order to add money to my card, I have 1€ fee from HSBC cause of transaction.
No matter if I transfer 6€ or 66€.

Yes that's the standard fee in Malta for transfers

It may not be relevant for you, but it will be for some.........

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit … -Section75

€1 for transfers upto €1000 and then €4 over €1000 is standard for most banks and definitely for HSBC

Moneybookers has a good debit card, it's skrill now.

Www.skrill.com

Www.theuniversecard.com is for anyone living in malta not necessarily maltese residents

i can vouch for Skrill aswell, have been using it many many years, and works perfectly everywhere!