How to save money in Malta

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Malta? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Malta? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

You don't.  Rent is very expensI've.  Groceries are expensive. Buying a half finished new property is expensive. If you don't have an inheritance or you share a flat with others, you can't afford to go out except maybe to McDonald's.

It's not that bad, transport is best by bus and cheap. Bread is Great value,lidl is a good supermarket to use. And beer and wine is cheap to help you get over the expensive things

we managed to save up for our deposit for a home - a finished townhouse in an affordable area, by renting a place and then renting the rooms to students so we were only paying a small rent and the utilities (i could have made money but i dont agree in ripping off students since ive been there) it took us a year, we also dont eat out, i mean whats the point? we go to the beach and take advantage of the numerous free and cheap events that go on but dont see the necessity in eating out when we know how to cook :)
transport is affordable on the bus and that helped too. now we own a home we still rent out 2 rooms to help with the mortgage and with 2 incomes, one full time and one reduced hours we are living comfortably.
in relation to groceries we shop smart, plan you meals before you go shopping so you get what you need and what is affordable :)

Toronto68 wrote:

You don't.  Rent is very expensI've.  Groceries are expensive. Buying a half finished new property is expensive. If you don't have an inheritance or you share a flat with others, you can't afford to go out except maybe to McDonald's.

Compared to where?

Toronto68 wrote:

All the things you mentioned are cheaper here than many other places - like London where I am from.  However relative to local income not so much.

I don't earn local income though so finding it a bargain here in every regard.

Lidl is a huge saver when it comes to Groeceries - some of the supermarket on malta and the convenience stores can be expensive compared to the rest of Europe, but Lidl is great for stocking up on groceries and frozen, and makes a big difference. Also there are a number of discount cards such as groupon, maltasavers if you google them

I couldn't disagree with you more!!! 

Rent is only expensive if you choose to rent in an expensive area.  I've lived in Marsascala on my own in a two bedroomed flat with a private back yard and that was €280 per month.  And the bus to work was just under €20 per month (on the old buses - €26 per month now).  Compare that to the £130 monthly bus ticket in Cardiff!  That is CHEAP!  Then I shared in Gzira and that was €420 per month so more expensive but we had a 4 bedroomed penthouse between the two of us and that's still cheaper than the UK.

I bought an apartment two years ago.  2 bedrooms, 2 balconies, half ownership of roof for €65k and it cost me €9,800 to finish it (it was a half finished shell).  I wouldn't be able to buy a garage for that back in my hometown.  Living in Malta allowed me to save up for the deposit for my place. 

The amount I pay for electric and water every two months is HALF what I used to pay in one month in the UK.  I find that groceries are around the same price and it's cheaper to eat out.

I am financially comfortable in Malta whereas I struggled to survive in the UK. 

I can only imagine that you lead a very extravagant lifestyle if you think everything is expensive here.  I don't earn a huge whack by any standards but Malta is many things, expensive is not one of them.  Try living in Cardiff for six months, then you'll know what expensive is!

Good for you

Hell :) I'm afraid I'm not an expert at saving. If you here to stay look for a good job right away its getting busy and booking.com for accomadation I till you find an apartment. There are lots groups on Facebook to help you . And go to the supermarkets in paceville are the cheapest not little shops are usually expensive and then I'm not sure... Just don't pay more than €30 for a Gozo comino trip. Enjoy the life and let me know if you want to meet some time for chat coffee what ever 😄🌞🍹

On Gozo the little shops are no more expensive then the supermarkets and quite often have some good bargains.

I buy all my food from Park Towers, with free delivery and you save quite a bit with the free vouchers they give you. I never go to Lidl since I think the quality on their products is very low.

If you want to save €€€ on fruit, I recommend you the local markets - Monday Mosta, Tuesday Birgu, etc.

Food might be more expensive than Spain, or maybe some Eastern countries, but you in overall in Europe, Malta is not that expensive. Consider the absence of Council Tax, rubbish bins tax, and things like this, and I think that saving money in Malta is very possible.

Depending on what you eat, food can be really cheap, too... just had great fish (don't know the name, some small ones, it said not farmed) which I bought in the fish shop in Mellieha for a bit more than 2 €, last week I had a nice tuna steak (but farmed...) for less than 2 €, I buy fruit and veg from the vans, at Ta Qali or in Lidl, pasta, rice etc at Lidl, too - it's the same as in Italy, so good quality and not expensive, bread is cheap and good at the local bakery. If you like feta cheese, a Bulgarian friend of mine told me it's best and cheapest in the Bulgarian shop in Sliema, but I have yet to try it... British friends of mine complained that British sausages and the likes are too expensive, but in reply to that I'd say that luckily we're not in Britain here... (both because of the food and the weather...)

One of our local butchers does british sausages and they are as nice if not nicer then in the UK.
Miracle Foods do both Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages at a reasonable price.

We are currently in the U.K. And moving to Malta in October, hubby has a job which pays well. We struggle to make ends meet in the U.K. , council tax alone nearly 200 per month, so even if all else is the same we should be better off.
We are visiting in August for a week, so if any expats want to meet up with us for a coffee, drink etc, we would love to get the benefit of your expererinces. We also have two girls, 5 and 7 so if you have kids we really would love to meet up.

Heather

IT2015 wrote:

we managed to save up for our deposit for a home - a finished townhouse in an affordable area, by renting a place and then renting the rooms to students so we were only paying a small rent and the utilities (i could have made money but i dont agree in ripping off students since ive been there) it took us a year,

Hi IT2015, we were also thinking of renting another appartment to rent the rooms to students, however, I was told that re-letting is not allowed and put that idea in standby. Since you have already accomplished it, could you please provide me with some info to direct me to the right path? Were you renting the entire appartment or only the spare rooms?
Many thanks in advance

MintyMagic wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more!!! 

Rent is only expensive if you choose to rent in an expensive area.  I've lived in Marsascala on my own in a two bedroomed flat with a private back yard and that was €280 per month.  And the bus to work was just under €20 per month (on the old buses - €26 per month now).  Compare that to the £130 monthly bus ticket in Cardiff!  That is CHEAP!  Then I shared in Gzira and that was €420 per month so more expensive but we had a 4 bedroomed penthouse between the two of us and that's still cheaper than the UK.

I bought an apartment two years ago.  2 bedrooms, 2 balconies, half ownership of roof for €65k and it cost me €9,800 to finish it (it was a half finished shell).  I wouldn't be able to buy a garage for that back in my hometown.  Living in Malta allowed me to save up for the deposit for my place. 

The amount I pay for electric and water every two months is HALF what I used to pay in one month in the UK.  I find that groceries are around the same price and it's cheaper to eat out.

I am financially comfortable in Malta whereas I struggled to survive in the UK. 

I can only imagine that you lead a very extravagant lifestyle if you think everything is expensive here.  I don't earn a huge whack by any standards but Malta is many things, expensive is not one of them.  Try living in Cardiff for six months, then you'll know what expensive is!

You are correct. I live the same way as you. I stay in Hamrun and work in Sliema. I drive to Gzira everyday then have a nice walk across the seafront.

I save 75% of my monthly income this way.
If I lived in a more expensive area with higher rent I'd only save 45% of my monthly income.

I believe the lifestyle only gets expensive when a person chooses to live an extravagant lifestyle.

There are a lot of possibilities to save money, Lots of things are much cheaper in Malta than in any other country further North. Other things are more expensive.
I found that going out for dinner can be quite cheap when using one of the deals. Same for products, since there are a lot of shops and stores frequently offering promotions and bargains - you only have to stay updated (FB is your friend). Many shops sell bigger quantities for smaller prices - so start a shopping group with your friends and neighbours. If you buy directly from farms (e.g 20 kg potatoes, 10 kg onions or 5 kg strawberries), all their products are much cheaper than from the so-called farmers market of vegetable vans. btw. vegetable vans: try to make friends with one of them, then you'll get the "special price" (e.g. 0,75/kg no matter what you buy)

I agree about Lidls and as it's a German owned company the quality is good. The travelling grocers are cheaper though. Gozo is a lot cheaper rent-wise than Malta. My rent is 300 euros per month for 2 br fully furnished. I get a 19 litre water delivered once a week for 4.30 euros. With gas, water and power it costs me less than 400 euros per year, about a third of UK prices. Booze is cheaper too because of less duty.

Same here, paying 300 Euro for a nice and bright 2 BR-flat with over 90m² plus private half roof in Marsascala is quite a bargain nowadays  :) 75 Euro monthly utility costs for water, electricity, internet compared with 280 Euro back in Austria several years ago. Huge savings.

I think the expenses for accommodation is the biggest possibility for saving money. It's not really depending on the location, but on your network. Once you save 200 or 300 Euro on the rent, you can spend the money on nice restaurant visits  :top:

I think especially the low rent for the flat and also for my garage will be the biggest losses when we'll be leaving next year :( ... anyway, life goes on  :cool:

matm911, do you think your landlord would be willing to "swap" Austrian tenants - seeing that we're from Austria, too :)

I guess with a nice flat at that price, I'd finally be able convince my better half to move to Malta for good :)

Just out of curiosity - where are you going to move to?

bernie_iris_fabian_david wrote:

matm911, do you think your landlord would be willing to "swap" Austrian tenants - seeing that we're from Austria, too :)

I guess she would be fine with that, but the waiting list is already quite long  :D Same with my (dry) 4-car garage with window for only 720 Euros per year. bbbbbargain  :cool:

I didn't plan well enough. Hotels seem cheaper than elsewhere in europe especially in winter months though. I made a mistake of living like a tourist at first but when money got low i did work things out.

Im from uk, food is more expensive in Malta. Cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper though i suspect as Malta want to keep the tourists coming. I live in Bugibba. Best prices for your shopping is Iceland although there is a supermarket called piscopo near to me aswell. I tend to go Piscopo for my veg and fruit although i do hear that buying from trucks can be better.

Best to start renting a place in winter months as any other time the rent prices go up. It is expensive to rent here. I got a studio apartment for 450 euros a month which was cheapest i could get unless going sharing. You want a 2 bed apartment and u will probably be expecting 600 euros plus a month.

There are no council taxes here which are good and collecting your rubbish are good too as its almost everyday. Utility bills is something you will have to look into as there are 3 different tarriffs but i can't explain that here its too complicated.

Clothes shopping I don't really save on (I go back to uk for that) but there are cheap clothes around, people also go to charity shops but I tend to like my clothes new.

Buses are 1.50 euros for each travel unless you get a card which is then 75 cent so buses are very good price.

For eating out you really have to find the restaurants that will cut your budget I know a couple that I got a meal for less than 10 euros but generally your gonna pay more.

Hope that information helps a bit

Well said sir