Question about mandatory vaccines?

Hi, my husband, little boy and I are thinking about taking an extended trip to Equador, Colombia, and Peru. Possibly do some volunteer work, get to know the localities. My question is, will we be required to get a yellow fever vaccine to travel between these countries? According to the cdc website only part of these 3 countries are at risk for yellow fever. Will we be required to get vaccinated only if traveling from one of these areas to another but not if traveling to another part of these countries? Cdc also mentions the possibility of getting a medical waiver and being quarantined when traveling from one area to another. (We may have reason to get a medical waiver; my husband because he is 60, myself because I am breastfeeding, our son because he has an egg sensitivity. Besides, we are very skeptical of modern medicine and pharmaceutical products, particularly when its mandated.) Any idea what this quarantine is; temporary imprisonment or something more palatable? Any information you can give me would be appreciated as well as advice on how to do better searches on the computer; I'm stumped.

"Required" by whom?

Temporary imprisonment??! Where did you find this incendiary reference?

You can go to Ecuador, Peru,  -wherever you like-  and contract any disease available without any penalty of imprisonment that I've ever heard of.

Where are you getting this daft information? Reference?

Mostly the cdc. and travel sites. In brief, the information was that parts of Africa and South America will not allow entrance from certain countries without a yellow fever vaccine certificate or whatever it's called; you can get a medical waiver but you may be denied entry or quarantined. Imprisonment was my own description of quarantine because I don't know what it is and cant find info on it. I figured people living in these areas might be a source of information; as I said, I'm stumped. I hope you are right that we can go wherever we want without the vaccine; your statement is encouraging. Of course, we would take precautions not to  contract  yellow fever; we really don't want it, thank you very much.

Check the U.S. State Department website at travel.state.gov or google Quito Embassy vaccinations, for updated advisories.  Dengue or yellow fever shots may be advised for travel in the Amazon rainforest areas.

After checking such site(s), if you are still confused or worried and shots are available, consider getting them and calling it a day.  Or just stay away from the rainforest.

FYI, your key fifth sentence in the original post on this thread IMO is confusing unless you add the word exclusively after the word traveling in the latter part of the sentence.  And there is no 'q' in Ecuador.

ccccmedia in Quito

Oops! Sorry, I've been misspelling Ecuador a long time. We don't want to get shots if we don't have to and I wasn't sure if staying away from the rainforests is good enough in the official's eyes or do we need to stay out of the countries where the rainforests are? Thanks for more ideas where to look. I'll check it out when I have a few minutes.

mrstovar wrote:

I wasn't sure if staying away from the rainforests is good enough in the officials' eyes or do we need to stay out of the countries where the rainforests are?

You can enter Ecuador at either airport, Quito or Guayaquil, without shots.

From the KIS (Keep It Simple) Department:  Come to Ecuador with or without the shots, it's your call.  Then skip the rainforest.  It's hot and sticky and rainy, hence the name...there's potential dengue and yellow fever...so the educational value for your family is not worth the tsuris.

There's plenty to see and do in the highlands and on the coast.  And fewer insects and snakes and lizards, at least around here.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks, that sounds good to me!