Work Permit HELP!!!!

Those of you that recently moved to SA in last 2 years. Did you have a lot troubling finding employment? My husband is a software architect but he is not on the 2008 Scarce skills quota list.(there is not an updated list) Plus he doesnt meet the formal requirements. He has 12 years of programming experience. A recruiter told me that employers don't want to hire people without work permits because they feel it a hassle for them (meaning the employer) to obtain one on the individuals behalf.

I see new members all time talking about they just moved to Durban or Capetown.  Man...did you all really have that hard a time finding an employer and getting your work permit?  Did you  have to go through the SAQA? South Africa Qualification Authority. 

Please let me know whats you story on how you got to SA.

Has anyone used an immigration agent?I heard they can be expensive. If you have used an immigration agency which one did you use and how was your experience with that agency?

Hi -
I'm a British citizen, currently living and working in Swaziland and looking to move to SA (Joburg) in December 2010.
Is it possible for me to get some sort of 'seeking work' visa? or do I have to find the job before I arrive?
I have seen these 'research visas' being listed. I currently have a Masters degree from the University of Oxford, in the UK, and am starting a second Masters next week, part-time (online). Could I potentially qualify for a research degree?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/info...

Hello and welcome to Expat.com, Jasa_UK:)

One of the requirements for getting an exceptional skills permit is a publication in your field of expertise – either written by you or mentioning your name. Does anyone have any clear descriptive directions on what are the requirements for writing the publication, meaning can it be an online publication?

The next requirement is to obtain a letter from a South African Organ of State, business, cultural or academic body confirming your exceptional skills and the fact that the skill will be to the benefit of South Africa. Ok without having an employer can someone tell me how I can achieve this requirement?

Hi SeekingSA and Jasa

There is a new list of scarce or "quota" skills, and depending on a few questions I need to ask you, I think that we could motivate for an Exceptional Skills Work Permit, which would qualify you to work and apply for permanent residence.

Otherwise the Quota Work Permit is also sufficient to find work relatively easily. But that recruitment agent is right - companies see it as a hassle.

Jess
[link removed: no ads on the forum please, thanks!]