Living in Puerto Rico...

I just saw this...Ignore my message, but still keep in touch :)

We have a great 3 bedroom off 411 in Rincon, with great big fenced yard, fruit trees, etc. partially  furnished for $700. but we did secure it in Aug.

Moved here 4 years ago, and won't leave. I am one of the ten percent (90 percent of North Americans who move here leave within a year).

1) Learn Spanish. No way around it. You cannot appreciate a country if you can't speak the language. If you respect PR, it will respect you.
2) The government is a nightmare, The less you deal with it the better. All aspects: police (a joke), licensing (months or years to obtain licenses for things), petty bureaucrats (once you are in the system and try to abide by the law, you are done for. Business owners stand no chance here)
3) Patience. Nothing moves quickly here, and there are certain social graces that are expected in interpersonal interactions.

Hate the government, politics, and public unions. Love the island and the people.

Well said

I agree about EVERYTHING you said... and I moved here almost 10 yrs ago, and I'm not leaving!

It is "island time" got to love it!!

I will agree with everything labochinchosa said. You will need to be able to adapt and be flexible in order to make it in a different country (in this case territory). You cannot expect the place to adapt to you, it will be the same moving to any ware in the word not just the island.

There's something that I don't understand, everybody says that Puerto Rico is so nice and that they don't want to leave there, but if the government is so corrupt the police department government officials etc. what makes it such a great place to be at?  Right now I live in Arizona, here I have the freedom to protect myself by having a gun and to protect my family, the biggest thing I fear is  that in Puerto Rico I can't have a gun to protect my family and the crime rate is one of the highest in the world, with the economy as bad as it is there it doesn't seem like it's going to get  better anytime soon, another reason why I want to be able to protect myself and my family like I can here.  I just don't get it, I'm moving there in a month that's going to happen for sure, but it just seems like I'm giving up a lot of rights and freedoms that I have here to go to a place where the crime rate is so High, and everything is so restricted I would like to hear some pros and cons on the subject thank you

You can have a gun or collection in PR, just need a permit to own, need another to carry
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt … uerto-Rico

Also see article about a court decision that invalidates most gun control in PR. http://concealednation.org/2015/06/brea … pen-carry/

Hi, Spencerazac, welcome!  Is there a particular reason why you are relocating?

Hmm, thanks for the info,  I did all that here, went to an all day class had the government background check me and I got a concealed weapons permit for Arizona then one year later they passed a law that allows anyone to carry concealed  when it came time to renew my permit I went ahead and renewed it anyway so it's still valid and I know that I can't bring any of my guns there, so I'm in the process of selling all my hunting rifles and a couple of handguns that I had,  I would hunt elk here every year I know that there's nothing to hunt in Puerto Rico, i'll come back here every year or every other year to still hunt if I have to my main concern is just personal protection for my family and myself, thanks for all the help and the links, and thank you for your time

Actually there is some hunting in the island. Some of the islet around the west part have wild sheep and I have heard DRN have permits for hunters to go and harvest them. You may want to check with them.

Spencer - PR is great if (1) life is worse in the States or one wants to get away from something for a while, and/or if (2) one is retired or has a good job, and/or if (3) one likes the Hispanic culture and warm climate, and/or if one lives on the west coast. By the way what drives you to want to live in crime ridden PR?

Wow, didn't know that, that would be great! I wonder if they have any wild pig problems like they do in Hawaii? I'll have to check into that.

I'm at the retirement age, my mother in law is giving us some property to build on in Vega Baja and we have invested in a little store in Rio Piedres, if it doesn't go well at the store I can always fall back on HVAC work somewhere, I actually just got back from there last week to pack and sell everything

Spencer - nice about retirement, you look so young for it, I'm guessing you are in law enforcement or military. Hope you like PR. There are worse places to live.

HVAC is big business in the island, they sell AC console like pancakes in PR. If you are a responsible person you will do good. I had to call 3 different AC dealers to get an AC installed in out home. Two never call me back, the one that did got it installed next day.