Questions about tipping, and paying the motorcycle attendants.

I'm still a little confused about tipping in Vietnam.
Today I went to get a check-up at a local hospital.  I parked my motorcycle at the hospital, and the attendant gave me a ticket.  About one hour later, I gave back the ticket to the attendant, and I tried to pay him.  He refused my payment.  Actually I was shocked that he refused my payment.

1)  When should you tip at restaurants, and when you should not tip?  How much?
2)  What about tipping motorcycle attendants?  How much?
3)  What about tipping the ladies at coffee café, karaoke bars, etc..  How much?
4)  Who else should you tip?

Here some of my knowledge:
- The parking service at the hospital is free. Good service I never know at other hospitals in my country.
- Tips at restaurants usually up to you. The service fee is included. Tip for girls in coffee shop is same
- Tips for girls in bar is also up to you, but it is more prefer. Girls in bar earn most by tip.
- The easy acceptant way of tip in Vietnam is pay more than the bill and do not require the remain. You can tip a taxi driver, shop owner, book seller, vendors... When you really wwant and satisfied with their service. No rule for that.

Sometimes, I tip 10.000vnd for taxi driver or 20.000 for hotel room cleaner. Sometimes no.

No need to tip the taxi drivers
most of the time they will over charge
esp foreigners ..
happened to me several times ...
thats life .. no point arguing over small change

paulpoh wrote:

No need to tip the taxi drivers
most of the time they will over charge
esp foreigners ..
happened to me several times ...
thats life .. no point arguing over small change

Foreigners here pay "overs" in anything where the price isn't written on the wall.  I rarely tip, I just leave the small change. Very small actually.

Besides , my country pays several hundred million $$ in Foreign aid. Vietnam are the "handout " champions .

taxi driver never ever tip.

why
1. they always take the long route
2. they always try say they don't have change when in fact their pockets are full 1k, 2k and 5k notes.

To be fair there are good taxi drivers only that they are the minority.
Anyway the worst taxi drivers are in Malaysia.
They refused to use the meter and expect the passengers to tip them for their bad service.

In general tipping is not expected. So dont feel obligated. You will pay extra for thing over time. Foreign tax.
But the reverse is also true , i have had shop staff rumage around for 2000 in change to return to me.!
As far as parking attentants go, you are paying 2,3 5,000 for a service. Its not a tip. Some places include their parking , some do not. When u hand back the ticket they will say if there is a payment.