Top 5 tips to live in Norway

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Norway.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Norway?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Norway!

Thank you in advance :)

For me if you are from a country that is used to a warm welcome and constant contact or with interactive community like the Philippines it's quite a change when you come here my observations and reminders are this when it comes to everyday encounter with strangers or new friends:

1. They are not very comfortable with eye to eye contact, in time when you are beyond acquaintance and can say that you are really friends they will start to adjust to it.

2. Don't be offended when they stare they are not discriminating you more often they are curiously interested about you and may give you a smile afterwards.

3.In a bus if the seats aren't full take an empty row, they enjoy their space and privacy. So just seat beside one if all the seats are taken.

4. Everyone is courteous and polite, so when you walk across a neighbor or riding the bus you may notice every one greets one another so it doesn't hurt to greet back with "hei hei" or "god dag" (good day)

5. I thought this one is just what the articles around google says but i have proven this true. Weather is a great deal of an ice breaker to start a conversation.

6. i know it just says top 5  but this is a bonus. Do not be scared to speak english in stores and malls, yes they use their language but most of them are actually good in their english and will gladly answer your inquiry.

For preparation in settling in i think the number way to get along really fast with everyone is the language, once you've broken the language barrier you're good to go :)

I hope this helps :)

1. Learn the language as best you can and never stop learning it. The more you learn the easier life becomes especially in work but also socially. Norwegians are nice polite and friendly poeple but will very quicky switch into norwegian in the company of their own (naturally) so knowing the language in some form will help you alot to fit in and be a part of it vs feeling left out. They dont do it on purpose so dont take offense.

2. Expect things to be expensive compared to where you are from but at the same time you should expect to have a good salary to compensate for this. Luxury things are taxed high (Cars, Alcohol etc) and housing is becoming a bit too expensive particularly in Oslo.

3. Get outdoors in all seasons! Norwegians are not scared of the weather... and get some warm clothes.. wool / thermals / big jackets... you will need them. Norwegians love outdoor pursuits.

4. As I say Norwegians are a nice polite and friendly bunch but they can also be quite reserved. At first they will be friendly but will retract more after this. You need to push yourself out your own box and into theirs from time to time to help develop relationships. It is definately always good to have a good local network of norwegians and not just expats. Norwegians understand best the intricacies of norwegian society so is good to have some close local friends to help with all of this (Example: Nav or the Tax Office)

5. If you will drive... learn some of the road rules. There are a couple of rules in there which are important to know... example: giving way to the right and always stopping for pedestrians! Norwegians know these rules well and know their rights so they will pull out from your right when you will expect them to give way to you. (roads with yellow diamond signs are exempt so look out for this). And pedestrians will just walk out expecting you to stop... if you dont.. expect to be growled at :-), or even worse.. find a heafty bill in your mail.

Many more but those are my top 5.....

1. learn the language as soon as possible.
2.participate in 'dugnad'. a flock of folks who are volenteering their time and energy to accomplish a job...knowing that you will come out and help in this way is appreciated
3. treat all living things with respect
4. stop trying to convert to your native currency....that will only give you a headache and will have no effect on the cost of things
5. smile

1.  If you're not used to the type of weather there is in Norway, be prepared for 'wet and cold' (the usual fare here).
2.  Enjoy the nature when you can.  It's beautiful, and the impressions of Norway will remain with you for a lifetime.
3.  Don't expect people to behave the way they do in your home country. Take time to observe and learn how things are done here.
4.  Be careful on the roads - the Norwegians tend to drive fast here.
5.  If you're an expat who will be in Norway for a limited time, act like the guest that you are.
For my experiences and adventures, visit: www.norwayliving.com

1: Be prepared to eat lots of hotdogs and waffles (pølser og vafler) as these are staples at just about every event. Oh, and drink lots and lots of coffee (kafe).
2: Train like hell so that you can cycle everywhere (when you're not walking) at 50kms per hour, whilst honing your hostile attitude towards anyone in a vehicle (even though you probably have quite a nice one sitting on the driveway at home).
3: Learn to live without the letters C and W and learn to love the letters Å, Ø and Æ.
4:Get used to the notion that walking is a valid and indeed desirable mode of transport as well as a pleasure activity. Preferably in the mountains in the wintertime (compulsory, but it's OK, you'll never regret a second).
5: Eat brown cheese (it's delicious).

Seriously (well mostly) Norway is an easy ride to move to, if a little frosty (in many senses) to start off with.

p.s. and as for the reply above about Norwegians driving fast. Huh? Norwegians are the most rule following drivers on the planet (helped no doubt by huge, and I mean really huge fines for speeding etc). On the road their tolerance and patience is legendary. Kids in the road? No problem, I'll just wait. People blocking the road to drop someone off? No problem, I'll just sit here and wait. Folks not indicating, blocking roundabouts, sauntering across zebra crossings, hurtling out of blind side roads (on the right duh!), people staying behind cyclists for kms because they want to overtake only once they can safely pass 5m away (only a problem on roads with a limit more than 50kms/hr obviously). All no problem, I'll just wait...... patiently. ;-)

1) Learn the language. Yes 90% of Norwegians can speak and understand English but you have to forget that and learn Norwegian because without it you'll get nowhere fast. Even though they can speak English it is easier and more comfortable for them to speak their own language. Look at it this way, If I and a friend are sitting in a bar in London, we're both English but we can both speak Norwegian, why would we speak Norwegian to each other in England? I personally used to hate this fact, but there's nothing you can do to escape it so study and practice all the time, there is no way around it, it's a brick wall so just throw yourself into it if you want to work here. (This does not apply if you are a scientist in demand or certain jobs in the oil & gas industry) Yes, I know that sucks, but never mind just get on with it already Snakk Norsk!! (There is a BIT of leeway in this for certain jobs in the South like Oslo)

2) Look up Janteloven online. Read it and it will give you an insight into Norwegian culture. That is not to say a complete picture, but more of a deep insight into the status quo. (Student sub culture can be somewhat different)

3) When applying for jobs, wherever possible go and visit employers and talk to them, let them see you and what you are like rather than just sending letters / CV's like you did back home, because here that's not really acceptable, unless your skill is in very big demand you'll get nowhere fast just by emailing applications. (Especially written in English)

4) Norwegian are not aliens, they're a bit quiet on the whole but there's usually a wildcat in each of them somewhere just itching to get out, so be yourself, be natural and up front, be punctual and be polite. Talk to people, offer to help, smile and smile some more, they need to see that as it brightens their day (life in some cases) but don't be to extrovert or you'll stand out like a sore thumb.

5) Don't criticize anything you see wrong in Norway but do say everything good about it. If you want to be popular just follow this simple rule. Norwegians will criticize a lot of things about their government etc, but don't get tempted to join in, at most just nod in agreeance. (why? refer to point number 2)