Single mother considering Teaching in Paris

Hello, I am a middle aged single mother of a school aged child. I'm considering the CELTA certification to teach English abroad and currently have a bachelor's degree in English. I've done some research and have noticed that very few ex-pats are single mothers. In fact, most are married or single and childless. It is feasible to raise a child on the teaching salaries in Paris? Also, are the teaching jobs during the day  and how is child care? Life in my hometown seems so lifeless after the death of a parent.
I think the move would be wonderful for my daughter, but I do want to be realistic. I would love to hear from the mothers out there.

Welcome on Expat.com Ginalyn! So sorry to hear about your loss!
Unfortunately I don't know Paris at all, having visited only twice but I'm sure you will pretty soon receive some useful messages here.
Good luck.
Arlette

Hi - we looked into this a few years ago and decided that it was not lucrative enough. If you're planning to work in Paris you'll be probably restricted financially to some of the less desirable suburbs.

Work is more often than not during the day - you go to people's places of work, or teach in the offices of the language school.

The language schools are constantly looking for staff - a sign that wages and conditions are not great. The language schools also much prefer teachers with business experience - the ability to understand business/marketing/sales/exporting/financial etc terms - this is probably more useful than a CELTA certificate. I have been teaching French people in these domains - apple production, aircraft interiors, lawyers, building, tourism, seed production, hotels, insurance - all great fun.

I presume your daughter is primary school age - the school may well stay open till 6pm - but you might be teaching till 7.30pm and then have to find your way back from your place of work. I would also think that a car is essential for getting to some buisnesses in the suburbs.

If you want to give it a try, have your CV typed up in French and in the French style, spend a week in Paris and walk into the language schools and ask for an interview - build up your business language knowledge.

CELTA training encourages/requires you never to speak in French - but it can be time-consuming explaining a point of grammar in English to a pupil whose English is not great - the ability to do this in French helps on occasion.

Just a thought - I remember reading last year that there is a great shortage in Paris of English nannies for French babies + toddlers. Maybe more suitable for your situation if you like children.

Ian

Thanks for responding. Your response was very heplful.

The other alternatives are the private education sector - this has grown dramatically in the last 10 or 15 years, and international schools.

Teachers in state schools are civil servants, so you can more or less forget this sector, apart from the odd possibility of part-time work.

I am one of the lucky ones - early retirement, reasonable cheque and small pension - and work found us in the form of the local chamber of commerce, tutoring agencies and word of mouth.

Good luck

Ian