Mattress Suggestions

So, the compound I'm at provides us with p.o.s mattress' and I get them changed every year, and they pretty much start hurting the body after 3 months time. No matter how much I flip'em.

While I was in the mall today, I figured I'd drop by Back Comfort. They had a memory foam mattress, which is all the rage, and is pretty damn comfortable. Of course, the 7,000SAR price tag wasn't all that comfortable.

But I suffer from scoliosis, and from a disc hernia, so it is a worthy investment. But before I make this plunge, figured I'd see what you guys are sleeping on, if anything specific, or if you might know of any good places to try out before hand.

The beaut. of this is that he agreed to let me test it out for 48hrs (after I pay full price for it first). But before I do that, I wanna see what else is in store, and keep this as a the final plunge.

My friend who bought a memory foam matress said she had to relegate it to the guest room because sleeping on it was SO hot (it seems to retain body heat along with one's shape!).

Good luck.

Hrmm..I don't mind that at all, I need heat for my back. But I think the wife would hate it since her body is like a damn radiator 5mins after she falls asleep. Stuff is like radiation, lol.

Just got a mailer today from "Bed House", they have some good offers and they're selling the memory foam for 4,500. They have some spring mattress' as well. Guess that's where I'll be going tonight.

Well, for all of you who are interested in a mattress. That place has got some really great selections, with some good "Ramadan Discount"

The one I seen yesterday for 6,700 with 3 year warranty is selling at this place for 4,500 with 10 year warranty.

But the creme de la creme is worth 7,000. I'm gonna test out the 4,500. And he said if I don't like it in 2 days I can come back for any other model (as long as the price is equal to or more than).

I wonder if anyone has heard of the joke about the Mattress and the Mistress?

Beezer, why dont you just go to IKEA ? /they have an excellent range of quality mattresses and mattress toppers at a fraction of the price you are talking about.

I agree, JE.. $1100 US is nothing to sneeze at.  Especially since you can't take it with you when you leave.

I suffer from back pain as well. In my case though, I went over to harraj and bought a firm mattress without springs. I do not remember the brand but its been fine on my back and as I remember it was quite cheap.

I'll head over to IKEA tomorrow. I haven't made my final choice yet (as I haven't paid for it). But tomorrow night it's gonna be it. I know I've tried IKEA pillows and there is no comparison between them and a real tempurpedic one (I have both). The IKEA one just lays on our bed as a divider when the wife gets too close. haha...

Alliecat, leaving it behind won't be a problem. As an investor, I don't think I'll ever be "leaving for good." We're constantly looking for a house or piece of land to build on. So the investment is OK.

mirfarali, what kind of mattress we talkin' about. What's it made of?

Beezer,

I also have a bad back, disc protusions actually, and I find that a solid firm mattress is best. I bought a rolls royce, top of the range mattress and it made it worse. I then bought a cheap one and have had it for four years. The firmer the better, sometimes when it gets bad I sleep on the floor. Conclusion: don't waste your money.

Damn, that's a good argument. This just gets harder and harder.

I tested a firm mattress at first, I literally laid in each bed for 10mins to get an actual feel for it.

The memory foam felt the best for me (for those 10mins)

There was one that felt even better but was way too much money.

When you bought the expensive mattress, what kind was it, and did it feel good for the first 10mins and then horrible when actually sleeping in it? The guy is giving me a 2 day trial. Would I know by then? I think IKEA does the same also.

I'm literally thinking about trying out mattress' for the next entire week.

I think it was a Seally Posturepedic. I am not sure if the brand is available overseas. The one I have now is a Permarest Extra Firm. It is a local Australian brand is cheap and awesome. I just googled them and they dont have a website. 

Maybe offer the salesmen a little something on the side for an extended trial of 30 days. Keep the plastic on the mattress just in case and give it a try. 2 days is not enough from my experience.

This is worse than buying a car. I checked some reviews about the Seally, and yeah, ppl said it started to cave in where they slept on it within a 2yr period.

The warranty on this type enables me to return it for a new one if it sinks in 1mm.

But I'm gonna head to IKEA and check out some firm mattress' later on tonight. I was reading online, and ppl said a firm mattress is good for lower back pain. (I have upper/shoulder pain), but we'll see. I'll see if they offer the "test trial" period as well.

beezer wrote:

I'll head over to IKEA tomorrow. I haven't made my final choice yet (as I haven't paid for it). But tomorrow night it's gonna be it. I know I've tried IKEA pillows and there is no comparison between them and a real tempurpedic one (I have both). The IKEA one just lays on our bed as a divider when the wife gets too close. haha...

Alliecat, leaving it behind won't be a problem. As an investor, I don't think I'll ever be "leaving for good." We're constantly looking for a house or piece of land to build on. So the investment is OK.

mirfarali, what kind of mattress we talkin' about. What's it made of?

Its made of some kind of foam, but its quite firm and dosnt have "memory".

Beezer, I've found myself matching the same problem as yours - finding the right mattress. I have the same diagnosis discus hernia so can you please share the conclusion of this story :) Did you buy the memory foam mattress at the end? Or you've decided for sth else?

Thanks!

Cheaper suggestion/option, my mom has DJD with crumbling discs and fusion occurring, all that nice stuff. She does have a firm/hard foam bed but she uses an L shaped pillow, It's quite big, probably 3ft x 3ft. She bought it straight off the internet and sleeps with that in whatever way suits, on it, in it around it, whatever ... she says it is the best solution she has ever found and that is not through lack of trying. She says she may not have bothered buying such an expensive bed had she found the pillow first. You can always have it shipped to another country and have yourself or a friend bring it back on the next trip out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slumberdown-Sha … 836&sr=8-3

http://Beezer, I've found myself matching the same problem as yours - finding the right mattress. I have the same diagnosis discus hernia so can you please share the conclusion of this story  Did you buy the memory foam mattress at the end? Or you've decided for sth else?

Thanks!

Sorry to interrupt your train of thought, but although it is a popular perception to sleep on a firm mattress for back problems, medical literature argues otherwise.

You should sleep on a mattress soft enough to conform to the natural curvatures of your spine -- too firm a mattress would actually leave you weary by causing the unsupported ligaments to remain taut.

As regards disc problems, if you go into the biomechanics of the spine, you would see that the intra-discal pressure (which will determine how much will it herniate) is least when you lie supine, intermediate upon standing and maximum when you're sitting.

So, the mattress will really not make any significant difference in the intra-discal pressures.