Cost of living in Thailand – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Thailand in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Thailand you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Thailand?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

I live in a rural location in the lower North of Thailand.

Monthly Budget for three adults between 30-35,000 Baht, that includes everything.

Here are a few individual costs.

Rent 3500 Baht- two bed detached house all mod cons surrounded by rice fields.

Petrol/diesel - 30-45 Baht a litre depending on grade Diesel is 30 Baht. Don't use public transport but it's very cheap. Express 1st class bus to Bangkok(345 Km) is 250 Baht.

Visit to a doctor 200Baht + cost of medication/tests etc

Coffee hot or iced 35 Baht

Electricity 4.50 Baht a unit(KwH) + 7% VAT

At time of writing 1 x $ = about 31 Baht and 1 x £ = about 50 Baht

I live in Nonthaburi.

2 bedroom 89 square meters, Total new modifier and full furniture. 12.000 baht.
Water is free here.
Power up to season but normal like this. 700 - 1.000   1.000 - 1.500   1.500 - 2.000 baht. ( 4.51 Baht a unit(KwH) )

Internet 13 mbit / 1 mbit and True Vision TV sport packed 1.199 baht per month.

Mobil phone 200 baht per month (we use 400 baht because we 2 people)

Piggy car, bus. 7-8-9-10 baht, if i have to go to Bangkok (Victory Monument) 16 baht.

Mini Vans same route as bus, 10-15-20-25-30 baht, up to route, and have long.

I use militia hospital, cost is 50-200 baht to see Doctor, plus what extra i need.

Street food 25-40 baht, Small Thai restaurant food for 2 and drinks(1 water, 1 Cola) 95-99 baht, Food center and so for 2 people 125-150 for food and drinks.

Traditional Restaurant when the whole family go out together 13 people, eat what they can and drinks some beers, Cola, drinks, around 4.500 - 5.000 baht.

Cinema 100-120 baht ticket, we buy water+Cola, candy and chips other place at take with us.

Total for 2 people 40.000 - 45.000 baht per month.

I live in the heart of Chiang Mai, about a 10-minute walk to the moat.

1-bedroom fully furnished condo with pool, 90 sq.m  16,000 baht

Water  120 baht/month

Electricity - don't know the price per unit but we pay 800-1500 baht, depending on the season. Only use AC for a couple of months during the year.

Fibre optic internet  20 Mb/4Mb  1600 baht/month

Internet TV -  we purchased a JSAT box for $250 last year in Bangkok and will never have to pay for TV again anywhere in the world for the foreseeable future. We have access to thousands of international movies, channels, music, sports, etc

Mobile Phone - around 300-400 baht/month only because we like to have the data plan while traveling around.

Transportation -  we have our own PCX150 scooter so probably spend 200-300 baht per month on petrol
                        - songtaows are 20 baht for anywhere inside the city and tuktuks are 80 baht and up

Medical - depending on public or private hospital, doctor consultation ranges from 150 baht to 400 baht
             - the medical insurance we are thinking of purchasing will be about 8000 baht/month

Street food - 30-40 baht  Small Thai restaurant for two with drinks 100-120 baht  Foreign restaurants - huge range

Cinema - 100 - 150 baht depending on day of the week (over 60 years old - 80 baht)

Coffee - 40 - 90 baht depending on type of coffee shop

Food - realistically, we probably spend 300-500 baht per day. A balance of home-cooking (Western food), Thai restaurants/street food and international restaurants.

Cigarettes and booze - 3000 baht/month

Our total budget per month (2 adults) is about 65,000 baht.

We Live in Chiang Mai, Hang Dong ( 1 couple + 1 kid )

House
We bought an house in gated community / no monthly rent - Transfer fee was 1% for us, nothing else. This will vary a lot depending on the property developper, new built, 2nd house, often you can see share 50/50 ( which was our case as transfer fee is 2% )
Mooban Fees 1740 THB / month link to garden size ( 145 sqw x 12 THB per sqw ) - When you buy new built house you pay in advance 2 years of mooban fees in the price.
Swimming pool 30 THB / people

Utilities/TV/Internet
True Vision 590 THB / month with Disney Channels \
3BB Internet 630 THB
DTAC Mobile 199+VAT (7% ) x 2 contracts + 399+VAT (7%) x 1 contract
Garden maintenance : I do myself just petrol to buy
Water meter average 200 THB / month depending on garden watering mainly
Electricity 1,200 THB ( min bill ) to 2500 THB ( max bill ) / month depends on the month and use of aircond, washing machine, electric oven, water heater mainly
Bottle of gas can last 3 to 6 months as we eat mainly outside

Vehicle :
Monthly loan 18,000 THB / month
3 full tanks per month around 1,650 THB x 3 now as price decrease
Car service twice a year 3,000 THB each ( low mileage as new car, will cost more later )
1st class Insurance 20,000 THB per year
Car wash ( in and out ) :  local shop cost me 150 THB, in Big C or Tesco Lotus cost me 450 THB
Driving licence 5 years around 650 THB / 1 year around 150 THB

Health Insurance / Doctor
25,000 THB x 2  (only IPD),  I did not have yet
I bring my daughter to hospital / clinic many times, cost was arounf 200 THB for doctor in Central Chiang Mai, plus medicine which was one time a bit high 3,500 THB but usually below 500 THB
Medical certificate 80-120 THB depends where, sometimes foreigner will be charge more than Thai in some private hospital

Banking
VISA Card : 300 THB fee per year
Bank letter to apply for visa is charged 100 THB
A credit card amount allowed is 200,000 THB some bank can request this amount to be blocked in a separated account unless you are a good client and good relation with your banker
Exchange rate is better in the bank than abroad with brooker ( It is better to send EUR or GBP or USD by transfer to get the published Fx rate of the bank than to change it in THB in your country).
Fx rate is displayed in most of the bank website, again negotiable with your banker usually over 2,000,000 THB transfer they can hold it for free until your target is reached ( if reasonable of course )
Saving account, you can block for 3, 4, 7, 11 months, each month new rate are published or discount rate, usually 15% will be taken out for tax from interest paid.

Kid
Lanna International School around 170,000 THB to 230,000 THB per year depending on age ( tuition fees can be found online )
Activities : most activities cost 1,600 THB for 4 sessions of 1.5 hours / session, or 6 sessions of 1 hour / session
3 activites ( piano, singing, dance ) : 3 x 1,600 THB
Count for school uniform too if needed, transportation if needed will cost another 26,000 THB per year for school bus
Cinema 100 to 180 depending on seat, discount available with card, count for 3 of us with drinks, pop corn etc around 600 THB all included

Foods ( we use 4/5 different markets in the area )
Half chicken 64 THB ( 5 stars chicken )
Sticky rice 600g approx 20 THB
Cat fish 45-55 THB
Red tilapia plus vegetable set 150 THB
1 chicken wing 10 THB
1 drumstick 15 THB
Steam food 6 pieces 20 THB
Sticky rice mango, 30 to 50 THB depends on size, half or full mango
Food center like in Big C or Tesco will cost you around 45 THB / 60 THB
Swensens Ice Cream 100-150 THB each ( discount 10% with card )
Bakery depend which one and what you choose, can vary from 10 THB to 45 THB per piece
Ice cream in 7/11 tesco express from 8 THB to 40 THB for a magnum
Fruit Shake will vary from 20 THB to 35 THB
Cookies imported mixture 130 THB
Bananas fried a portion 20 THB
When we go shopping Makro, roughly 1500 THB / 2000 THB the trolley depends on the content, not only foods, can be also cleaning product, healthcare product, etc…
A local cheap restaurant will be 35/40 THB per meal, a nicer local restaurant with seafood will cost us 600-800 THB for the 3
An hot pot in Central Airport Mall will cost arounf 300 THB per people eat as you want buffet, a pizza company restaurant can cost around 800 – 1000 THB for 1 large pizza, salads, French fries, chicken, side disches , drinks, etc
Pizza delivery order online and it will add up 40 THB for delivery, discount on set menu are available online, usually we pay around 300-400 THB

Thank you thetefldon, chinacanuck, and cthierrymk for all this information. :top:

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

sweet post.
lived in chaing mai
1,600/month apartment next to best gym in the city

Hi chinacanuck,

"1-bedroom fully furnished condo with pool, 90 sq.m  16,000 baht"

That's 16.000 TBH per month?

Thanks

Yes, 16 000 THB per month.

So what is your monthy & yearly total?

Thank you, very detailed, however If you have a Thai wife, what is the cost of supporting her family?

I live in Isaan, Kalasin. I have seen some food prices increase over 5 years, not a great amount. We buy fresh from the market, 2 large chicken breasts 45 Baht. Broccoli and Cauliflower 10 Baht.
Barbecued fish is expensive 100 - 160 Baht. We make our own fries and a friend makes peanut butter for us. I have been teaching for 5 years, salaries have not increased, although yearly you may get a small increase in salary. I would guess the cost of living is up 3% or so, just a guess.

Hi, just taken a job in Pattaya.

Large room 8500 thb per month inc Wi Fi, Air Con, Fridge, Cable TV, Balcony, Safe.
Small pool for use at 40 thb
Electricity on a Metre 7 thb per KW.  Water a set 200 thb

Scooter free with Job
Thai sim with True Move, top up at 7/11 when required. Either 40, 90 , 150 thb

Local restaurants have dishes from 50 thb, Street food from 30 thb, 6 x large water from local wholesale 50 thb.

No Thai lady so live peacefully like a king :-)

We living with 3 people in chiang Mai, We rent a big house (400 sqm)with a front and back garden 8000 sqm. full of fruit trees. for 35000 a month
electricity about 6000 baht a month,
carrental, maid,
So I think we are much more expensive as the other guests hier on  the expatblog

Live near  Prachin Buri at Kroksom Boon
Cost of living
Electricity 2500 thb per month from meter.
Water 200 thb per month Have water filter in house.
Food  5000 thb per month
Fuel for car 3000 thb per month now
Car/house accident insurance 1800 thb per month
Inet  Only have Tot wifi (Out in sticks and lucky to have it)650 thb per month
True TV 2200thb per month.
Car payment 6300 thb per month
Medical for me on home country insurance  3600THB per month
GF insurance  Government 600 thb pm
Cell phone 600 thb per month
No House rental house owned by myself on contract Bought house.(280 sq meters)
Entertainment:,Eating in Restaurants and street shops etc 3000 thb per month
Farang food 2000THB per month.
Sundries 3000 Thb per month
Barry

Hi Chinacanuck,
When you write  the medical insurance you are thinking to purchase will be about 8000 baht/month is this for both or each?
Anyway, comparing to insurance in Switzerland, even if it's 8000 THB each it's still Under half price of what I pay in Switzerland but I am 61 years old so it increases the price!   
How about the monthly cost of about 65'000 THB, does this incude the insurance?

Wish you all the best in Thailand!

Marcel Morel

re: total annual costs

- as I mentioned above, we spend approximately 65 000 THB per month. We have friends with a budget that is half that amount and others whose is twice ours.

re: insurance costs

- we still haven't broken down and purchased insurance coverage. It would be in excess of our 65 000THB per month current budget unless we cut down on some expenses. The 8000THB that I quoted is for the two of us (I am currently 63 but my wife is much younger than me (not Thai)) The insurance costs are not bad until you get past 65 and beyond. Then they begin to increase drastically. With a large deductible the cost can be decreased but it is still quite expensive. We are currently thinking of adding an equivalent monthly amount into our savings account to build a "health fund" instead of towards an insurance policy.

Anyone out there that has a budget list  for Phuket?  It seems electricity runs around 7-8 bht per kw/hr?
Thanks, 

McNally

Hi All,
I live in Bangkok.

As per cost of living is concerned, Its about 65k per month excluding child education and health insurance.

Child Education: 120k per term (total of 2 terms, International School); 50,000 for Bilingual Education.
Health insurance: 45k per person per annum (including OPD).

Satish.

Live in Bangkok - Chidlom Area

1. Accommodation: 130,000 Baht/Month (360 sqm)
2. Electricity 15,000 Baht/Month
3. Water 2,300 baht/Month
4. True vision (internet and cable Tv)  2,300 Baht/Month
5. Private School + School Bus 44,663 Baht/Month/Child (Lycee Francais)
6. Car Rental (Leasing) 15,000 Baht/Month
7. Food/Groceries (Villa Market) 35,000 Baht/Month
8. Entertainment for 2 16,000 Baht/Month

Satish, I would like to know what kind of insurance you have?  Thanks

Chinacanuck, I would like to give you some information on health insurance, my wife & I are in our 60's and we discovered Thai Life Insurance, they are a Life Insurance Company but they offer great Health Insurance for a Great price, they will attached a small amount to go toward Life insurance, which you will get back with interest after 5 years, they will pay you for Health Care till you are 90 years old, they do not have restrictions for long care, like cancer. They do not pay unless you are admitted, but most hospital will give you a room if you ask, they want to make money also. They will also pay if you travel & have to go to a hospital.  Call them.  Check them out.  Good Luck.

Chinacanuck can you explain how you bought a house here in Thailand when Thai law forbids the sale of land to Farang considering how you mentioned that neither of you are Thai?

Hi folks
Been in kabin buri for 8yrs now found everything has increased in price. 8yrs ago i spent 20000baht a month now with the same lifestyle for two of us has increased to 50000baht. We've stop going to restaurants as food is the same and expensive and somewhat boring now. My Thai wife agrees food is boring now.fresh marked prices have gone up by 20baht per item. Fruit seem to have become more expensive. In a nutshell Thailand has joined the rest of the world with inflation

I'm a filipino in Mahachai(Samut Sakhon)
Apartment(+water,electricity, laundry); 8-9000B/mo
Transport(taxi:to/from apt/factory;6000B/mo;attend sunday mass in Bangkok-4000/mo;apt/supermarket 2000B/mo.
Foods: 200/day; 6000B/mo
             sunday lunches 4800B/mo.
Pocket wifi: 400B/mo
I don't go out for nightlife! I'm living alone!I just buy cooked food.

I live in Korat -- Nakhon Ratchasima -- Isaan
We own our home .. no taxes
Electricity is 800 baht/month in cold season can get to 2000 baht in hot season with aircon in 3 bedrooms
Water is about 150 baht month
Cable TV is 3600 baht a year
Telephone and internet (ToT) is 700 baht per month
Cell phone is about 150 baht per month each person
No insurance for me .. I am 67 and cannot get it
Wife's health insurance is about 1500 per month for double policy
Food about 15000 per month for me and wife and her fat hungry 11 yr old boy ... hahaha .. she shops mostly at market
Tutors about 2000 month
Money for boy for school is usually 50 baht per day
Car insurance keeps going down - was bought new 2009 Vios - insurance now only 11000 per year - couple of tanks of gas per month now only 1000 baht of E20 per tank

Suwanna, where do you shop Villa Market?  Food is so cheap here we go out almost every night. We eat dinner for the two of us for 10.00 dollars US, and that is not noodle soup, it is 3-4 dishes plus dessert. At home in California that would cost us 100.00 with tip.  And you said you are bored with the food, Really Unbelieveable. Life must be just plan boring for you.

Wasagabob, I can get you information for affordable health care, if interested let me know, Patrick  [email protected]             PS. am not selling it, just offering my help.

Nothing, they are middle class, doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, have more money than we do. Not everyone has to support the thai family unless you marry the poor uneducated & lazy thai's.

Hi, I live in Phuket, Kathu district. Phuket is seriously tourist area, so everything is more expensive.

> accommodation prices
I live in mansion, short-term, long-term rents
9000 B / m for 1 room, 1 kitchen, king size bed, AC, cable TV, WIFI internet
350 B / cleaning (policy is once a week)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)
30 B fare blue bus (to Phuket, to Patong, or other cities/beaches)
10 B fare pink bus (routes inside Phuket town)
taxis are expensive, if you miss last bus (5pm) from Patong for example, it's 500+ Bath, Taximeters are cheaper, motorbike taxis are dangerous but cheap (100+)

> food prices (your monthly budget)
I buy only fruits, vegetables, cashews and peanuts
vegetables - (are more expensive imported) cucumber 25B/kg, carrot 40B/kg, pepper bell 199B/kg
fruits - yellow mango 70-100B/kg, dragon fruit 60B/kg, red watermelon 25B/kg, bananas 10-20B/kg
other - cashews 300B/kg, raw peanuts 60B/kg, almonds 320B/kg, coconut 20-30B/piece
better prices are in BigC/Tesco and fresh food markets inside the island, not in the beach cities (Patong, etc)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
I have yearly travel insurance, dunno prices

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
8B/kWh (AC not included in rent), water included in rent

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
mobile - I don't use very much, bought happy SIM from DTAC
3G internet 2B/MB
calls 0.55B/min
unlimited* 3G+4G internet plan 799B/30days (* = FUP is 12 GB)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant
I have no idea :) walked by normal beach restaurants in Patong, Thai meals ranges from 150-250
Patong fresh food market tip - if you want lobster, buy fresh seafood and they will cook it for you upstairs

> price for a coffee or a drink
20B/coconut with a straw in Kathu
35-40B/coconut in Patong

> price for cinema tickets

I am not spending more than 20,000 B / month

I live in Hang Dong, about 10 km south of Chiang Mai.  There is the Kad Farang open-air mall with Rimping market (more common expat brands and food types found there) about 2 km away from our home. 2014 is the reference year for costs, since we finally were getting settled into a steady routine.

I am a 60 yr old American with Thai wife of 18 yrs, retired military and retired from a 2nd career in oilfield services.  We own our home and property with Chanoate title that we bought 3 yrs ago.  To buy the home and property and get it in the state that suits our comfort level, we invested about $130,000 USD or about 3,700,000 THB (for the house and property).  That USD amount includes moving some household goods from the US, flying our Malanois over with us and getting settled that first year (2012).  Household maintenance / improvements and puttering ran us about 100,000 THB in 2014.  I imagine that will steadily decline, pending any natural disasters.

We shop for food at both local markets and Rimping with costs for all food stuffs running about 197,000 THB for both cooking and eating out (we eat well / healthy).  cooking LPG ran us 3000 THB in 2014.  The property has a large cement koi pond that I maintain (filter / circ pumps) so our electricity bills are probably abnormally large at 37,500 THB / yr.  I think most homes in our moo baan are about 1/3 of that cost.  We mostly use a scooter for local errands and runs into Chiang Mai (91 octane - 4,800 THB / yr.) with occasional trips and errands with our Fortuner (LPG conversion...3,600 THB for 91 octane and 14,400 THB for LPG / yr).  We generally do not use public transportation, relying on our own transport.  Full coverage car insurance cost us just shy of 19,000 THB / yr.  Meds cost us 17,400 THB / yr (no major illnesses, just mostly vitamins and antisceptic creams).  We spent 17,000 THB / yr on mobile 2-phone service and 7,000 THB / yr for 7 MB (nominal) internet service.  True Platinum level satellite TV ran us 25,862 THB / yr.  We generally watch movies on TV at home, just going out for (mostly simple) dinners, festivals and local celebrations.

We keep a budget but we live comfortably and are more than satisfied with our standard of living.  Hope that helps.

I live in Nonthaburi about 40 mins north of Bangkok. I have free apartment provided by my school but around here you can rent:

1 bedroom condo for around 3000 per month

3 bedroom/ 2 level house for 8000 per month

I have a shared internet connection of which I pay 200 a month unlimited

My cell is prepay (AIS) 350 a month for 500MB internet and 100 minutes calling

Motorcycle 100cc approx 300 per month

Restaurants: Thai around 80 baht for 2, western 160 for 2 plus drinks

Taxi to nearest BTS station 200 baht

Bangkok, Sathorn
2BR/2BR furnished apartment, 99,000 THB  baht / month fixed per year @ 32.56 THB baht/US$ Feb 14 2015
Television & 1 land line elec (AC) wtr incl up to 8000 baht/month
Laundry & DC  - shirts & pants 2,000-3,000  baht / month
Taxi 100 baht to get within metro anywhere, taxi to nearest BTS/MTS is 40 baht
Food at VillaMART 3,000-10,000 baht / week; 200-400 baht per Thai meal, 400-1,000 baht / meal for western
Cell 6,000 baht per month to 6 months depending on calls

What kind of money and how is exchange rate in dollars usa.

> accommodation prices - own townhouse, Bangkok rama2, 2.3mb(2010), now 2.8(2015)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) - bangkok rama 2, bus 18-22B

> food prices (your monthly budget) - 5000B

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) - 100-200B

> education prices (if you need to pay) - no idea

> energy prices (oil, electricity) - 1000B

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) - internet fixed line - 630B

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant - 300B

> price for a coffee or a drink - 35B

> price for cinema tickets - 120B

Thanks for your information. You probably have good retirement. With my $ 720.00 I can't make it there. I am 66 year old man. Haven't plan buying any property but maintenance of my life. Like warm weather and picefull. Life.

@Brian....we did not buy a place, we are renting the condo for 16000THB/month.

@thailand4me...thanks for the insurance info, I cannot find a phone number that works on their website. Will email you for more details.

How much does it cost to live in Thailand?

I live just outside of Bangkok. near Thung Khru

> accommodation prices. our house is about 28000 a month. 3br 2 1/2 bathroom. two floors

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) gas about 3000 mo

> food prices (your monthly budget) about 9000 mo

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) unsure for now

> education prices (if you need to pay) 0

> energy prices (oil, electricity) about 2000 mo

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) about 3000 mo

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant food price's are about the same as yrs before. but the amount you get is a little less. which I can understand. in the late 1977 I paid about the same, but got a little more.

> price for a coffee or a drink. All the big chain stores are about the same as the states. So I use the carts

> price for cinema tickets. cheaper than states. but like the size of popcorn in states movie house

>> Bus and transportation is cheaper and better here. I use the public transportation when I can. Taxi is much cheaper here.

>> I moved here because I love the life style and people. it cost me $4,000 to ship my life here with my wife.

not going to be much help as far as expenses. my wife is Thai and we live in Kanchanaburi.....we have scooter, car, of which we use the scooter most. cost on average 60 bht to fill...rarely use the care.....internet less than a 1000 bhat, my sister in law does all shopping a local market. very cheap...2000 bht for more than a week for 4 of us...me wife, sister in law and mother in law.....we don't each much, but well....rarely eat out .i go out for a beer in the afternoon with the locals, 65bht,..my wife is ex government employee and retired and owns house. we are covered under her gov. pension for health care.....car insurance is 3000 bhat a year.scooter not much....my wife takes care of expenses, i just give her the money. probably $1000 a month or less. we live well with no worries. it is getting more expensive but if you can live without all the luxuries, then you can still live well. we shipped everything here, tools etc etc, so don't have to buy much..life is and can be good here..oh, we have a well as city water, and use the well for watering for all the plants..cuts down on cost.

So, we live in Banglamung, Pattaya... This is approximately how much we spend every month...

1. Rented condo - 12,000B
2. Electricity -  2,000B
3. Water - 250-300B
4. True cable TV - 1,500-2,000B
5. Internet (3BB - not recommended though) - 600B
6. House cleaning services - 300B/per day cleaning (1 hour)
7. Fuel/Gas (for a bike) - 500B
8. Mobile - 500B
9. Food/Groceries - 12,000-15,000B
10. Eating out - 200-300B (simple Thai restaurant), 1,000-1,500B (other restaurants)
11. Coffee - 200-250B (Starbucks), 100B (local Thai coffee shop)
12. Cinema - 250-300B/per ticket

Don't forget this is for two of us :)