Exchanging GBP in HCMC

Hi all

I have been reading some of the forum posts here and on the rest of the internet, but a lot of it was a few years ago and mainly speculation.

I am travelling to HCMC in a couple of weeks and have 6000GBP in cash that I would like exchanging into dollars and dong.

I have heard that the best way to do this is to bring the GBP with me and get it exchanged at a bank in HCMC.

Can you advise as to whether this is a good idea, and if so an idea of the expected rate would be great, but not essential.

Thanks all

Ben

Around Ben Thanh market there are many exchange money shops, you could ask them to check the rate and compare to get the best rate, but usually there is not much difference. I always change in the shop on the right side of Ben Thanh market from Le Thanh Ton street. Sorry, but I can't recall the exact address now. To be safer, you should go to a bank and check the rate to know the international rate before decide to change money anywhere else. And don't change all at once. Have a nice and safe trip!

First of all IF YOU ARE BRINGING OVER $7,500 into VN you have to declare it at Customs. No proof of importing the money - difficult to remove.

Bringing that much money in to ANY country is less than smart. Unless you have a specific project you are spending the money on

The BEST way is to stash it in an account in the UK with ATM privileges. ATMs are like mushrooms over here, they come and go overnight.

The international currency in this part of the world is the Dollar - all other currencies get much poorer exchange rates.

Putting money in a VN bank account usually means you take less out as the INTEREST is offset by greater INFLATION!

And don't use the HSBC - they are a really scummy bank - ask the US Government who fined them BILLIONS of Dollars.

The poster above suggested jewellery stores on Le Thanh Ton. You might have hassles with GBP - aside from the poor exchange rate - hotels are often a better choice as their FX Desks is used to Foreigners dragging in strange money. These desks are actually licenced, too, and affiliated with banks.

ONLY bring 'clean' money (as new) without tears, writing on them. They like them ironed, too.